UConn-South Carolina post game without complaints | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina post game without complaints

Reaction Score
Many thanks to "The Team". I enjoyed the ride, painful
as it was at times... Poud of your effort and accomplishments!
Best wishes to the Seniors and good luck on April 11th!

Reaction Score
Thank you, Nan. I'm sorry, but complaining about the team after this loss, after what they did all tournament (which was amazing), and especially after the season that they persevered through is just shameful and selfish.

I think our magic, just ran out. Between the illness/injury and probably moreso, the mental exhaustion. There is no question that these women gave 100% of themselves in the tournament, and probably gave 100% of whatever they had left last night too. It just wasn't enough. I wouldn't expect next year to have the same drama, just statistically speaking, and I think this group is going to come back very focused. I can't wait to see it!

Reaction Score
Wait, you forgot to remind us that next year .... We're Doomed! :D
The MOJO Gods were cruel this season. Maybe after a summer vacation they'll start working for the team.

Reaction Score
Tremendous year. Team gave it their all.

So Dorka out. Liv and Evina hobbled. Azzi sick. Paige not 100% - and through it all we battled enough to be at 7 in 4th with the ball-- chance to cut it to 5.

very proud of this team. Very, very, very proud.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thrilling finish to a roller coaster season. I don't think Geno figured they'd get this far. The regional final was amazing, and Geno admitted his team would "need help" against better teams at the FF even if they brought their A-game. They got that help vs Stanford on Friday, but the Team of Destanni was just a bridge too far.

I have no connection with the University of Connecticut, but I've still bled UConn blue for more years than I want to admit, all because of Geno and what he has meant to the women's game. That being said, I am still filled with admiration for two young ladies who showed their stuff these past two years -- Haley Jones and Aliyah Boston. I salute them, as well as all the Huskies (especially the seniors) who gave us such an exciting season.

And thank you, Nan, for availing us of this extra dimension to the season. Looking forward to next season, and encouraged by Geno's pledge to be back at the FF next year.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
More than 350 division 1 teams start out their season each year defining success with goals and expectations for the coming season. Most would love to just improve on last year's record, or maybe get to .500 for the season. Some (let's be generous and say 80 teams) set their sights on one of the approx. 35 conference championships or an at large bid to the NCAA Tourney and feel that they actually have a chance to do it. Very few of those teams are able to sustain a high level of performance over many years - they rise and they fall and maybe if they are lucky, rise again.

Then there's a small group of teams (really small - 1% or so?) that can realistically set their sights on reaching the final 4 every year AND have done so for decades at a time. Looking back over 40 years of D1 NCAA Women's BB there's really only 3 teams that stand out as these true perennial contenders... Tennessee, Stanford and UConn - WCBB royalty.

Others have had good runs - some were really, really good in the past, but faded decades ago. New contenders are rising now, but are a long way from proving they are in this elite group.

We should be incredibly grateful for the Geno and Chris era at UConn. No fan base EVER, ANYWHERE has enjoyed a run like this (and it is not over). It may never happen again. What UConn does is incredibly HARD to do. The coaches and players work crazy hard to maintain this excellence.

I'm 67 years old and for close to half of my life I've been treated to this amazing run. How it that even possible?!?!? Every year we meet in the Boneyard and talk about getting to another championship. It is rarely less than a realistic possibility. It's historic and crazy and I appreciate every coach and player who has contributed to it.

For those leaving, E, Christyn, Liv... get your heads up. I wish I could tell you how very proud of you I am. Totally thankful for your contributions and hard work. Hope to see you in the W - you are Huskies forever.

Reaction Score
More than 350 division 1 teams start out their season each year defining success with goals and expectations for the coming season. Most would love to just improve on last year's record, or maybe get to .500 for the season. Some (let's be generous and say 80 teams) set their sights on one of the approx. 35 conference championships or an at large bid to the NCAA Tourney and feel that they actually have a chance to do it. Very few of those teams are able to sustain a high level of performance over many years - they rise and they fall and maybe if they are lucky, rise again.

Then there's a small group of teams (really small - 1% or so?) that can realistically set their sights on reaching the final 4 every year AND have done so for decades at a time. Looking back over 40 years of D1 NCAA Women's BB there's really only 3 teams that stand out as these true perennial contenders... Tennessee, Stanford and UConn - WCBB royalty.

Others have had good runs - some were really, really good in the past, but faded decades ago. New contenders are rising now, but are a long way from proving they are in this elite group.

We should be incredibly grateful for the Geno and Chris era at UConn. No fan base EVER, ANYWHERE has enjoyed a run like this (and it is not over). It may never happen again. What UConn does is incredibly HARD to do. The coaches and players work crazy hard to maintain this excellence.

I'm 67 years old and for close to half of my life I've been treated to this amazing run. How it that even possible?!?!? Every year we meet in the Boneyard and talk about getting to another championship. It is rarely less than a realistic possibility. It's historic and crazy and I appreciate every coach and player who has contributed to it.

For those leaving, E, Christyn, Liv... get your heads up. I wish I could tell you how very proud of you I am. Totally thankful for your contributions and hard work. Hope to see you in the W - you are Huskies forever.
What a great post!!

And we did it all in a non P5 Conference.

Reaction Score
To accomplish as much as they did, and to overcome as much adversity as they did, I hate it to see them fall one game short of the ultimate prize. Not that anyone will see it this way, but maybe this was a better ending than losing by 1 point on a last second buzzer beater. They gave it everything they had, they got beat by a better team, and there's just not any other way to interpret it. It wasn't will or effort, so everyone can be very proud of the season.

You don't overcome OREB and FT deficits like that and win any game. Fuel for next year.

Reaction Score
I am super proud of this team. They played with a lot of heart and gave their all out there against South Carolina. Love the sportsmanship out there by the team. The No Quit mindset. Down by double digits but kept on fighting and got the lead down to 6 or 7 points. Like I said, I am super proud of our girls. They never gave up out there.

Great game and Great season.

Reaction Score
Grateful for an adventure season. Brought this poem by Rudyard Kipling to mind. Apologees to him for the changes I've made:

IF
—Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when [others] doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;