UConn-South Carolina post game without complaints | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-South Carolina post game without complaints

Reaction Score
Now we wait to see who else joins the team....who watched the game and thought I am that missing piece..... the extra Covid year and immediate eligibility is a game changer

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
After Paige went down with the injury in the ND game I did not think that they would have a chance of winning the Big East let alone getting past the Sweet 16. When she came back at the end of the season and the team was almost 100% I thought maybe they can get past the Sweet 16. The round of 32 was a tough game, then the Sweet 16 was smooth sailing. Then they won the double overtime and the Final Four game and I believed they could win it all. But with Azzi sick, Liv injured, and Dorka out, it was just too much for the young ladies up against the #1 team in the tournament.

They have no reason to be upset, they got to the Championship game after all of the issues they had this season to include injuries, covid, cancelled games, two former teammates leaving, and still made to the final game of the season they should be proud of what they accomplished. I wish Liv, CW, and Mamma E good luck in their endeavors going forward and want to thank them for being a Husky. For the returnees remember tonight's game and use it to inspire your progress for next year.

Reaction Score
After all that’s happened through out the year, I felt making the final 4 was a real victory all on its own. Anything after that was gravy. Love this team!

So many people on this board could learn so much from watching what these young women experienced this year and how they’ve handled themselves. I hope that ends up being the case.

Can’t wait for next season!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I've been a fan since '95. Season ticket holder in both venues. Have traveled to Florida, Pittsburgh, Dayton, Albany, Tennessee and several Big East venues to watch them. Love them all the time. But this year's team was special. They didn't have the polish of many others, but they had a grit and power of spirit that I don't think I've ever seen before. I may feel more strongly about them than any other team.

Knowing how I feel as a fan, I can't imagine how these young ladies feel right now. They work 12 months a year to get better, giving up so many of the things a typical college student experience. Sure, they also get perks others don't, but they pay for them with their time, bodies, heart and soul. Damn, I wish they had won. But do you think for a minute that any one of them didn't do the absolute best they could tonight? Okay, it wasn't enough. I get it. But to disparage these kids who work their butts off to win and, quite frankly to entertain us, is disgusting. Then to dictate what the coaching staff that has been to 14 straight final fours needs to do in order to win is unfathomable. I can't imagine what happened to you in life to make you people such asses.

I am disappointed because I thought there was a chance they could pull it off – even though the odds were against them. Now I pray for them to get over the hurt, because they don't deserve that, learn what they can, and get back to playing more basketball with the same love and devotion they've shown all year. And for those of you being mean and heartless, shame on you. I feel sorry for you and the people who need to deal with you in life. Please note, Nan, that I am not complaining about the team, so I hope this post can stand.

Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
How lucky we are to root for a team whose season, year after year after year, doesn’t even START until the Final 4? No other fan base can come close to saying that. We’re blessed beyond belief! Quality kids. Quality coaches. Every damn year.

I’ve been following the team since the early 90s (mom is a UConn grad from way back) and am so grateful for every one of those years.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nothing but respect and pride for this year's team. With all the injuries they never gave up believing in themselves. They fought every game to comeback and make it to the championship game.

We saw how each player improved their game and contributed to each win. And finally they made it fourteen straight final fours. Amazing accomplishment.

To the coaching staff, kudos to the work you did to keep it going. Geno is still the man and UConn is still the standard for women's college basketball.

To our three seniors Christyn, Olivia and Evina (Momma E) - thank you all for all your efforts, talent and character. May all three have much success in the future. We will miss you.

And congratulations to South Carolina. You had a great season and tonight you were the better team.

My and my wife's love affair with UConn women's basketball began back in the 94 - 95 season when we saw a game on CPTV. We were hooked. The team is part of our life. Can't wait until next season. November can't come fast enough.

Reaction Score
I felt so bad for our young ladies. We didn't have our A game and S.C. had their AA+ game going on especially in the 1st and 4th qtr's. Still very proud of what they accomplished. Next year, Last Step to the Top!!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The better team played better, it's not rocket science. If we played our best, we'd have a chance. But we didn't

Congratulations Gamecocks

Thank you seniors

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
A big 'tip of the hat' to this team for what they accomplished. None of the pundits expected them to be in the final game.

Reaction Score
When they got down 11 in Q1 I thought it was too deep a hole against a great team. But the Huskies showed a lot of heart and I couldn’t be prouder.
I have watched a lot of SC games this season. Last night was the best I have seen them look, SC last night would have been difficult for most WNBA teams. I do not think last night UConn played badly, it was a matter where UConn faced a really good team that had a great night.

Reaction Score
Feel badly for Azzi. She clearly wasn't herself tonight.

In her freshman year during the NCAA Final Four (?), Diana Taurasi played the worst game of her entire career, missing 14 of 15 shots. She was completely dejected on the bench during that loss to Notre Dame. But then she regrouped the next year, and led Connecticut to a national championship every year for the rest of her career. Fudd will come back strong next year. And the years after that. No problem.

Reaction Score
It hit me about this game....we had a tremendously hard game against NCState, slogged through till the bitter end to beat Stanford...both really hard and tiring games in one week. Those probably had some effect on the fatigue factor for us. However, I don't know who could have beaten SC last night. They looked like us the years we had it all together...great point guard, great inside game. Their defense was unbelievable...we could not get a clean shot off all night. I give them credit! But we had a tremendous run and it's been an amazing season to watch!

Reaction Score
I think it is simply amazing that the team reached the Championship game after the season they had.
I am always proud to be a Husky fan win or lose. I think Geno handled the press conference with dignity and respect towards SC who most definitely earned their crown - for this year.

If these young ladies commit to working hard over the break and hitting the weight room they could be unstoppable.

I am sad for the seniors and wish them the best of luck in their futures. Forever a Husky.

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with this UConn Team all season long. At times, I did not know who would show up and play. This had to be the toughest season for Geno and his staff. During this season, the players that were left learned how to play like a team, and by the time that Page got back, they were ready to sail through the Big East Tournement and start the madness of March. I personally did not thing that they would get by NCState let alone Stanford, but they exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. They may have lost the championship game but have to feel very good about getting their.

In so far as the championship game is concerned, you have to give Dawn a big applause and to her team. They were superb. Everyone could see this. However, it took a big heart to make a couple of big comeback attempts. I am proud of UConn for doing that.

I watched the post game video with Geno and his words were very insightful. I anticipate Coach already has plans for next year. We had a slight taste when Amari was put into the game to alleviate foul trouble of Olivia. I am anxious to see a new team with the incoming prospects and another great winning season.

Reaction Score
It hit me about this game....we had a tremendously hard game against NCState, slogged through till the bitter end to beat Stanford...both really hard and tiring games in one week. Those probably had some effect on the fatigue factor for us. However, I don't know who could have beaten SC last night. They looked like us the years we had it all together...great point guard, great inside game. Their defense was unbelievable...we could not get a clean shot off all night. I give them credit! But we had a tremendous run and it's been an amazing season to watch!
I had the same thought like Mississippi State in 2017. Then throw in an illness running through the team and Liv re-injuring her groin (kind of crazy that all happened in the less than 48 hours between the last two games) and that's not a great recipe for victory when you're already shorthanded.

Reaction Score
Adversity all season, including last nights game when EW turned her ankle at a critical point in the game. Paige’s injury, Caroline’s multiple head injuries, Azzi’s issues throughout the season AND last night, Dorka’s broken wrist just as she seemed to be hitting her stride was a killer, even Ono was not 100% last night, but she played. Sad to see CW, EW, and Ono leaving, but all three should do well at the next level. Things are looking up for next year, two big time recruits in Brady and Patterson joining the team. Geno’s positive comments about DeBerry for next season, Dorka will return, Paige and Nika will be juniors, Azzi a seasoned sophomore. Caroline’s role next year will be even more important as she can play either forward or guard. She is deceptively quick with her first step, and as far as I can tell is the only player I saw all year who could penetrate quickly to the basket with authority for easy bucket or pass to the perimeter for an open three. Her cuts to the basket are the best I have seen since Diana. On EW, as I said she should do well at the next level, unless she wants to go into coaching.;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you to the team for an exciting year. Playing on the last day of the season is a huge accomplishment. To get through the adversity thrown at you every step of the way, shows heart and grit.

Reaction Score
Just an observation: 280 replies on the other post game thread, only 45 here... There must be a lot of complaints over there! As for me, while I'm disappointed (who isn't) I'm thrilled with how well this team did despite all the adversity, which followed us right to the final four, losing Dorka early in the NCst game and having Azzi sick for this one. We got our (unbelievable) 14th straight final four, and finally got the semi-final monkey off our back. Can't wait to see what next year brings... But it the words of Caroline King "doesn't help to know (it's) so far way." :)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think it is simply amazing that the team reached the Championship game after the season they had.
I am always proud to be a Husky fan win or lose. I think Geno handled the press conference with dignity and respect towards SC who most definitely earned their crown - for this year.

If these young ladies commit to working hard over the break and hitting the weight room they could be unstoppable.

I am sad for the seniors and wish them the best of luck in their futures. Forever a Husky.
Wait, you forgot to remind us that next year .... We're Doomed! :D

Reaction Score

We need Amari DeBerry to take that next step.. at her size and her ability to shoot from outside... Adds that dimension we kinda missed through this tough season... Imagine that? We had a "tough" season... Made it to the National Championship game (probably had no business being there)... The future is awful awful BRIGHT for UConn Women's Basketball... Circle the wagons ladies...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The team fought through enormous adversity, was perhaps most fit in the two games preceding this one. Was pretty beat up last night.

South Carolina was priming with fitness, height, and bench

Still, we played them pretty even after the first shock
A wonderful team, It'll be sad to see the seniors leave w/o Natty's
But as Geno always says, its harder than it looks...
And last night, it sure looked hard.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I am thankful for every UCONN player and coach for a great season! Let's go huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom