UConn Softball | The Boneyard

UConn Softball

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Shout-out to UConn's Softball team which is 28-11 overall, 15-3 in conference play and currently atop the Big East standings. The Huskies were picked to finish 3rd preseason. Two of the team's best players are freshmen. Lauren Valentino building a very good program in Storrs.

UConn will be hosting this year's BET.

Reaction Score
I might have to watch some games this season. Been a minute since I watched the softball team play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went to my first game Friday. I promised the coach I would at a Road Show last year. She really seems like a winner to me. A breakthrough season last year followed up by a strong freshman class. They had freshmen at cleanup and on the mound. They seem poised to keep getting better. And there were a few of big-mouth Butler fans there, glad to see them go home with visions of brooms.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I went to my first game Friday. I promised the coach I would at a Road Show last year. She really seems like a winner to me. A breakthrough season last year followed up by a strong freshman class. They had freshmen at cleanup and on the mound. They seem poised to keep getting better. And there were a few of big-mouth Butler fans there, glad to see them go home with visions of brooms.
They are twin sisters -- Hope (pitcher) and Grace (catcher) Jenkins. Grace is the team's best hitter. Savannah Ring is also a freshman.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, their conference is not on anyone's radar when it comes to women's softball. Royalty is the Pac 12, Big 12, SEC, and ACC. Have to show what you can do in the NCAA tournament.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, their conference is not on anyone's radar when it comes to women's softball. Royalty is the Pac 12, Big 12, SEC, and ACC. Have to show what you can do in the NCAA tournament.
Have to make the tournament first. The BE is a one-bid league so the Huskies will need to win the BET to make it in. Right now, UConn is on top in the BE standings but Seton Hall is nipping at their heels. Both teams have only 3 conference losses. The Huskies have one more series — against a weak DePaul team- while Seton Hall plays series against both Butler and Villanova. If the teams end up tied, UConn would be the #1 seed because they took 2 of 3 games against Seton Hall.

The BET will be in Storrs.

Reaction Score
They said that about basketball too.
That they did. And until Kerry Bascom and Rebecca Lobo et. al. made a mark in the NCAA tournament nobody took UConn seriously in basketball. UConn softball will have to make the some kind of impression in the NCAA tournament for anyone to notice them.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If that “run rule” that ended the game didn’t shut up that Butler big mouth, it should have. Don’t you love it when loud mouth boisterous fans have to end up eating crow and humble pie at the game’s end? :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They said that about basketball too.
BIG difference between Big East basketball and Big East softball. In softball, the Big East objectively is ranked #17 of D1 conferences (Massey and others). Very weak nationally. UConn is ranked #79. Those rankings aren't due to any bias, but rather are due to the results on the field.

Reaction Score
BIG difference between Big East basketball and Big East softball. In softball, the Big East objectively is ranked #17 of D1 conferences (Massey and others). Very weak nationally. UConn is ranked #79. Those rankings aren't due to any bias, but rather are due to the results on the field.
Northern schools always get dissed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Northern schools always get dissed.
Unless it's Michigan or Northwestern :)
They seem to consistently make the post season, due in part because they are the usual conference champion and get the automatic bid.
(BTW I am not a fan of the B1G Conference, in any sport.)

Reaction Score
Northern teams are at a disadvantage as the weather isn't conducive to softball when the season starts in February. Most teams end up playing on the road in tournaments down south for most of the first month of the season before conference play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I'm going to today's game but in the bleachers. Last game I went to I sat right behind home plate. It was a tense game but I was struck by Grace's demeanor. All her interactions with the umps, coaches and players seemed upbeat and positive. Talk about some one who was aptly named. I'm still kicking myself that I had to be told that Hope and Grace were sisters. I mean, duh!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Seton Hall 6 - UConn 4
Huskies then lost 4-3 to Villanova last night. A disappointing end to the season as this is the second year in a row that the team won the regular season title only to then lose in the BET. The team was relatively young so there is a lot to build on. The best player (Hope Jenkins) was a freshman but she needs help in the lineup. The team does need to add more power. One swing of the bat (a grand slam) was the difference in the Seton Hall game. Maybe Valentino can land a bat from the portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom