UConn Signees: Christyn W. and ONO | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Signees: Christyn W. and ONO

Reaction Score
CW's full line: 30 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists

Williams is an underrated passer, I think with the system Uconn runs she will get a ton of assist throughout her career and maybe even a few double double games.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Coach in Collierville Tennessee who watched Christyn Williams last night (12/29):

The thought of having Williams and Dangerfield in the back court at the same time is exciting to me, as the myriad of possibilities to score comes to mind. Two quick guards that have a great handle and a no fear approach will be problematic for opponents. On the rare occasion when they have an off day, it won't be at the same time. How do you stop them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The thought of having Williams and Dangerfield in the back court at the same time is exciting to me, as the myriad of possibilities to score comes to mind. Two quick guards that have a great handle and a no fear approach can be problematic for opponents. How do you stop them?

While having Walker as 3/4. Amazing. Especially if they get a stretch 4 that can also play the post.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The thought of having Williams and Dangerfield in the back court at the same time is exciting to me, as the myriad of possibilities to score comes to mind. Two quick guards that have a great handle and a no fear approach will be problematic for opponents. On the rare occasion when they have an off day, it won't be at the same time. How do you stop them?
It may be Coombs and Dangerfield before you see the Williams and Dangerfield back court. It will still be fast and quick and hard to handle.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ten minutes of game action from Saturday's final of the Dragon Fire tourney in Tennessee. Christyn Williams does a lot of different things here:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ten minutes of game action from Saturday's final of the Dragon Fire tourney in Tennessee. Christyn Williams does a lot of different things here:

Both teams looked pretty good. #1 for Memphis--with the glasses--looks like a Division I prospect.

Christyn showed her complete offensive game and scored at least 3 times with her right hand. She can hit the step-back 3-pointer, the pull-up mid-range shot, and the drive to the hoop. She's very tough to defend, plus she's left-handed, more or less.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Christyn showed her complete offensive game and scored at least 3 times with her right hand. She can hit the step-back 3-pointer, the pull-up mid-range shot, and the drive to the hoop. She's very tough to defend, plus she's left-handed, more or less.

She's also quite physical and strong. Can see her making plays inside and getting to the line quite a bit.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She's also quite physical and strong. Can see her making plays inside and getting to the line quite a bit.

I'm very high on Christyn, but in another thread yesterday someone suggested she's walk into #2 point guard from the jump her freshman year. Begs the question? Will she be the second freshman who can guard a chair? Just look at the Memphis Central and central Arkansas high lites above. Defense is not taught, practiced, played or valued in High school and AAU ball.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I still see Christyn as a combo of Durr, Ogunbowale, and Taurasi.
I am cringing at the comparison of CW to Durr or Ogunbowale. Durr, Ogunbowale are both terrific isolation players but IMO would have been poor fits in the UCONN system. Neither player has much regard for the defensive end of the floor and both are better at creating their own shot vs. the UCONN system in which getting shots are much more dependent on team play, ball movement, & proper spacing.
Needless to say that DT does not belong in this comparison because: 1) that is too high bar for anyone 2) DT was equally adept at creating her own shot and setting up others. Durr and Ogunbowale have 133 and 139 total assist in their careers, DT averaged 162 assists per season.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am cringing at the comparison of CW to Durr or Ogunbowale. Durr, Ogunbowale are both terrific isolation players but IMO would have been poor fits in the UCONN system. Neither player has much regard for the defensive end of the floor and both are better at creating their own shot vs. the UCONN system in which getting shots are much more dependent on team play, ball movement, & proper spacing.
Needless to say that DT does not belong in this comparison because: 1) that is too high bar for anyone 2) DT was equally adept at creating her own shot and setting up others. Durr and Ogunbowale have 133 and 139 total assist in their careers, DT averaged 162 assists per season.
Don't you think that if Durr and/or Ogunbuwale had come to UConn, they would have learned to play in the UConn system, and share the ball? And that they would probably also have learned to enjoy doing it (more than they enjoyed 1-on-1 triumphs)?

I have never seen Durr play at the college level, but in watching Arike play for ND, I don't see anything that suggests that she is not a team player. It may be that Muffitt thinks that her using her 1-on-1 talent is the best way for Notre Dame to be successful, so she has given Arike a green light to do that. Particularly when ND has lacked a good post player for so much of Arike's time there, that may make a lot of sense, and Geno might have made the same decision if he had the same roster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't you think that if Durr and/or Ogunbuwale had come to UConn, they would have learned to play in the UConn system, and share the ball? And that they would probably also have learned to enjoy doing it (more than they enjoyed 1-on-1 triumphs)?

I have never seen Durr play at the college level, but in watching Arike play for ND, I don't see anything that suggests that she is not a team player. It may be that Muffitt thinks that her using her 1-on-1 talent is the best way for Notre Dame to be successful, so she has given Arike a green light to do that. Particularly when ND has lacked a good post player for so much of Arike's time there, that may make a lot of sense, and Geno might have made the same decision if he had the same roster.
To the best of my recollection Geno recruited both players until Kia Nurse emerged and the infamous tweet from Geno that caused the staff to shut his twitter down. Both player could have learned to play in the UCONN system. it would just have been a steeper learning curve for those players whose strengths don't fit the system.
Literally kind of like the difference between Sadie Edwards and Kia Nurse.
BTW Arike had an AA post player and AA conteding PG for her first two full regular seasons at ND and Muffet has been very open about getting Arike to get more of her shots in the context of the ND system.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's why I think there are similarities, noting that they are not exactly the same: CW is a left-handed marksman like Durr; she has a bit of a stocky build and is strong and aggressive like Ogunbowale; and she is confident, takes and makes clutch shots, and can score whenever needed like Taurasi. I'm not saying Christyn has ALL of the strengths and weaknesses of any of the 3 other players. I'm saying there are similarities.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm very high on Christyn, but in another thread yesterday someone suggested she's walk into #2 point guard from the jump her freshman year. Begs the question? Will she be the second freshman who can guard a chair? Just look at the Memphis Central and central Arkansas high lites above. Defense is not taught, practiced, played or valued in High school and AAU ball.
In that last video of Williams I did not see her play any defense. On one play an opponent scored and Williams just stood there with her arms raised instead of hustling back on offense. It is her defense that will determine how much early playing time she gets. It's that way with all UCONN freshmen. Your last sentence is so true. That is what makes it so hard for freshmen to play good defense early in their careers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In that last video of Williams I did not see her play any defense. On one play an opponent scored and Williams just stood there with her arms raised instead of hustling back on offense. It is her defense that will determine how much early playing time she gets.That is what makes it so hard for freshmen to play good defense early in their careers.[/QUOTE]

As you know, many HS super stars are not good defensive players, some are. Most aren't. They're not good because there's no expectation for them to be.
All of their accolades are found on the other end of the court. You don't become "Miss Basketball" of your state by be a defensive stalwart. You get that distinction by being able to get out of bed first thing in the morning and drop 30 on somebody before you can get that other eye open, or have that first cup of coffee.

Defense wins games, but so does out scoring your opponent. She'll learn how to play defense "UConn style", and do it before she ever sets foot on the court. :)

Reaction Score
Great video and you can see the versatility of Williams game.

WOW I can't wait to see Williams at Uconn.

She always seems really excited that she has the opportunity of going to Uconn. I take back my "she will have to tone down her game" comment I made that @MDoggie read me for, Williams looks like a willing passer. After all the top guards Geno said no to or that said No to Geno, Williams could be the best 2 guard coming in to college in a while, the fact that shes going to learn from the Uconn staff will just take her game to a new level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom