UConn Should Install the Triple Option | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Should Install the Triple Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brian Bohannon is the guy we want. In Johnson’s coaching tree, 15 years younger, and killing it with the triple option at Kennesaw.

Yeah living down here, I confirm that what he’s done with KSU is amazing

Reaction Score
So your argument against UCONN having the triple option is we would have a hard time beating teams in the top 10? LOL! I'm looking forward to the day we can beat a team in the top 60.

and to your second point about recruiting, you may not have noticed, but we aren't known for our recruiting prowess.

Navy is currently averaging over 40 points per game and they actually do pass the ball quite effectively as does Air Force. Boring, not so boring.
Navy also plays against teams (AAC) were defense isn't a strong point. Let's see how well the triple option does against ND next week. There is zero reason for UCONN to install a niche offense like the triple option

Reaction Score
Navy also plays against teams (AAC) were defense isn't a strong point. Let's see how well the triple option does against ND next week. There is zero reason for UCONN to install a niche offense like the triple option

I suspect Navy will hang around for awhile against ND but ultimately lose the same way that Army did against Michigan this year and OU last. A loss is still a loss, but there is a difference between being in a game every week and getting your doors blown off like we've seen against any program with a pulse in The 2.0 Era. The triple option is a talent neutralizer and it works. In case you haven't noticed lately UCONN desperately needs a talent neutralizer. Quite honestly there is every reason for UCONN to install a niche offense.

Reaction Score
I suspect Navy will hang around for awhile against ND but ultimately lose the same way that Army did against Michigan this year and OU last. A loss is still a loss, but there is a difference between being in a game every week and getting your doors blown off like we've seen against any program with a pulse in The 2.0 Era. The triple option is a talent neutralizer and it works. In case you haven't noticed lately UCONN desperately needs a talent neutralizer. Quite honestly there is every reason for UCONN to install a niche offense.
UCONN's problem is 100% coaching. Installing an offense that requires perfect execution in order to be successful is not something our current staff will be able to handle and unlikely something the current roster will be able to execute with a new staff.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn went to the triple option, it would negatively impact scheduling as an independent. Schools don't like to have to prepare for an offense they face once a year.

Reaction Score
UCONN's problem is 100% coaching. Installing an offense that requires perfect execution in order to be successful is not something our current staff will be able to handle and unlikely something the current roster will be able to execute with a new staff.

I'm talking bigger picture here. For starters Edsall needs to go the second you can do so without penalty. In fact bringing him back was a giant mistake to begin with. You bring in a new staff wholesale and you let them cycle in their players. Sorry but with no bowl tie in, minimal fan support, lousy home schedules, and annual payday drubbings you aren't going to bring in the talent needed to win running conventional schemes. You are potentially looking at becoming UMass's Twin Brother. Army and Navy do what they have to in order to compete with better talent. Is Uconn willing to do the same?

Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn went to the triple option, it would negatively impact scheduling as an independent. Schools don't like to have to prepare for an offense they face once a year.

That’s a fair point I hadn’t thought of. They also don’t like the low aggressive blocking style.

Reaction Score
No way should we go triple option. We’ll have trouble scheduling, we won’t pass much which isn’t what today’s fan wants and we will have to start over from a personnel standpoint. We just need a good coach, not some desperate gimmick.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Baltimore runs damn near the triple option and tore the best defense in the NFL to pieces last night. Now, if they meet in the playoffs it’ll likely be a different story though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We just need to make the right hire, no matter what the offensive philosophy is. If we beat Navy 56-10 I wouldn't care if we ran the wishbone or the air raid. Just win.

Reaction Score
Baltimore runs damn near the triple option and tore the best defense in the NFL to pieces last night. Now, if they meet in the playoffs it’ll likely be a different story though.

Jackson was crazy. The best thing about that whole game is that we’ll probably get to see if Belichick can figure out how to stop Baltimore later in the season. I won’t bet against him.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Kennesaw State won their first round game last night against a good Wofford team. Triple option heads to the round of 16 to play Weber State next weekend.

Reaction Score
Kennesaw State won their first round game last night against a good Wofford team. Triple option heads to the round of 16 to play Weber State next weekend.

The amazing part of this is Kennesaw lost all 11 of their starters on offense to graduation last year.

Reaction Score
This thread just won't die. Triple option is a terrible idea. Look at Navy once they played a team with a defense, they got absolutely destroyed. UCONN doesn't even have the discipline to run a pro offense let alone an offense that requires perfect execution on every single play.

Reaction Score
This thread just won't die. Triple option is a terrible idea. Look at Navy once they played a team with a defense, they got absolutely destroyed. UCONN doesn't even have the discipline to run a pro offense let alone an offense that requires perfect execution on every single play.

LOL Navy put up 35 and 56 in wins over SMU and Houston the last two weeks. Yeah they lost to ND but the talent disparity between those two teams is enormous. Navy is 7-1 in the AAC this year.

I agree it isn't happening at UCONN but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL Navy put 35 and 56 in wins over SMU and Houston the last two weeks. Yeah they lost to ND but the talent disparity between those two teams is enormous.
So you're saying because they put up large numbers on teams that have terrible defense we should install an offense system that literally zero players on our current roster could run? Makes sense

Reaction Score
So you're saying because they put up large numbers on teams that have terrible defense we should install an offense system that literally zero players on our current roster could run? Makes sense

I'm saying you bringing up 9-2 Navy's loss to ND as a reason we shouldn't install the triple option is laughable. You would be a terrible lawyer.

Reaction Score
Thank you all for your continued love and support of this thread <3

Reaction Score
I'm saying you bringing up 9-2 Navy's loss to ND as a reason we shouldn't install the triple option is laughable. You would be a terrible lawyer.
No I'm saying that once Navy plays any team that resembles a defense they buckle. Cincinnati would crush them this year. ND crushed them because of defense. If they play someone with a good defense in their bowl game, theyll lose. I'm not saying Navy isn't a decent team, they are, but the triple option is easily neutralized if you know you can stop the run. Something the AAC doesn't do well because it's all offense and no defense

Reaction Score
No I'm saying that once Navy plays any team that resembles a defense they buckle. Cincinnati would crush them this year. ND crushed them because of defense. If they play someone with a good defense in their bowl game, theyll lose. I'm not saying Navy isn't a decent team, they are, but the triple option is easily neutralized if you know you can stop the run. Something the AAC doesn't do well because it's all offense and no defense

Yeah but Kennesaw State would absolutely destroy UConn right now so

Reaction Score
Put the defense under Brown or Orlando on the field and Navy rarely would win

Do you not understand that the KSU football program didn’t exist until 2015? He’s built that program, with few facilities or resources, into a contender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom