UConn Should Install the Triple Option | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Should Install the Triple Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No to the Veer is stinks as we ran in high school and ran the triple option before that. The offenses are 1950's and you don't get recruits running it.

Since the Veer wasn't created until the late 1960s, its obviously not an offense of the 1950s

Suprisingly the Briles offense has lots of elements of the Veer, probably because Art played WR in that offense in college

Reaction Score
Since the Veer wasn't created until the late 1960s, its obviously not an offense of the 1950s

Suprisingly the Briles offense has lots of elements of the Veer, probably because Art played WR in that offense in college

A young Urban Meyer consulted with Paul Johnson when developing his offense. The modern option offenses are heavily influenced by the "old" option offenses. Its like Blues music morphing into Rock and Roll.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Need to get more creative with the offense. Run more hook & ladders and recruit a Billy Bob.

Reaction Score
Who says you can't recruit PA? Edsall is FROM Pennsylvania. I've seen some really dumb things written here and this is one of the dumbest...acting like PA is next to California.
From what I see on the recruiting boards, Edsall can't recruit anywhere.

Reaction Score
Why does the triple option have to be all or none? We don't have the qb to run it right now, but sure, it could be one of our looks. Run some triple option, run some read option, Don't see why we can't put all the defenders in the box with one look and spread 'em out with the next.

We would be harder to prep for if opponents knew they were going to get 25% triple option. Then again, just about anything would be harder to prep for than who we've been the past few years...
Hey, Paul Johnson is available....just sayin....but he retired to play golf and be with family, and the golfing season is almost year round in Georgia...not sure if he is suited for New England climate

Reaction Score
Out of the two front runners to start Steven Krajewski and MB neither of them are a option qb let alone any other qb on the the roster

Reaction Score
Why does the triple option have to be all or none? We don't have the qb to run it right now, but sure, it could be one of our looks. Run some triple option, run some read option, Don't see why we can't put all the defenders in the box with one look and spread 'em out with the next.

We would be harder to prep for if opponents knew they were going to get 25% triple option. Then again, just about anything would be harder to prep for than who we've been the past few years...

That's a very simple answer. Personnel. Teams that run the triple typically use different type of players on offense than a team with a more balance attack passing. Usually lineman are less athletic run blockers, fullback, et. al. Same to a certain extent with the qb. You have to be really, really deep to try and run multiple formations including that one with success. For a team that struggles to recruit, a lofty aspiration.

Reaction Score
From what I see on the recruiting boards, Edsall can't recruit anywhere.
Not sure what board you're looking at but Edsall's 2019 commits consisted of the following.......

To me I see 11 or 12 three star recruits commiting to play for Edsall, they all will be freshman this year. One of them, Dillion Harris, chose UConn over Michigan, Maryland, Boston College, Syracuse, and Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Hey guys. Bumping this. I believe this could help us be successful as an independent.
Why do you want UConn to play dirty? If we have to play dirty to win...it not worth winning...

Reaction Score
Not sure what board you're looking at but Edsall's 2019 commits consisted of the following..

To me I see 11 or 12 three star recruits commiting to play for Edsall, they all will be freshman this year. One of them, Dillion Harris, chose UConn over Michigan, Maryland, Boston College, Syracuse, and Rutgers.
Yep, and a few more and we will surpass Navy on the list and move up to #11 in AAC recruiting.

Reaction Score
Yep, and a few more and we will surpass Navy on the list and move up to #11 in AAC recruiting.

And Navy will still win a bunch of games because....

They run the triple option.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What exactly has Temple done that so amazes you?

I believe we can be more than Temple if we are independent and instal the triple option

You must not be very old. Either that, or you pay little attention to programs other than UCONN.

Temple has sucked for decades, up until recently. They were so bad they got thrown out of the Big East in 2004. Then they hired Al Golden. Then they had a successful stint in the MAC. Then they lost Golden but continued to hire good quality coaches, like Steve A'dazzio, now at BC. They kept getting consistently better. You have to understand this was all a first for them.

Then after years of misery, they finally beat Penn State. They moved into the AAC and have flourished. They almost beat Notre Lame. They won an AAC championship.

They did all that in a shadow cast by Penn State which is so huge that they never see daylight. And they managed to do all of it without ever resorting to having to run a gimmick offense like the triple option.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We should just hire Drake to be our head coach. We'd get a bunch of 5 star recruits and then they could just coach themselves. We'd honestly be better than we are now.

Attachments

• drake.jpg
    drake.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 12
Reaction Score
Note, i am 100% sober, sitting in my cube at work.

However, I am surrounded by Georgia Tech alum so that may have something to do with this.
You fool

This is akin to recruiting basketball players to play 2-3 zone

You deserve banishment

Yes this is my first moment of awareness of this thread, of which I’ve read nothing

Reaction Score
You fool

This is akin to recruiting basketball players to play 2-3 zone

You deserve banishment

Yes this is my first moment of awareness of this thread, of which I’ve read nothing

Syracuse playing the 2-3 zone while being adjacent to a recruiting hot bad IS the equivalent of Georgia Tech running the triple option in the middle of Atlanta, i'll grant you that

However, unlike the 2-3 zone, the triple option has a proven track record of success, especially for teams with recruiting disadvantages wishing to compete with "bigger, badder" schools.

Case in point (ironically) the Citadel beating Tech a couple weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Syracuse playing the 2-3 zone while being adjacent to a recruiting hot bad IS the equivalent of Georgia Tech running the triple option in the middle of Atlanta, i'll grant you that

However, unlike the 2-3 zone, the triple option has a proven track record of success, especially for teams with recruiting disadvantages wishing to compete with "bigger, badder" schools.

Case in point (ironically) the Citadel beating Tech a couple weeks ago.
Yeah and Cuse is more accomplished via the 2-3 than GTech via the triple option

Not to endorse your taking my analogy at all seriously

Reaction Score
Yeah and Cuse is more accomplished via the 2-3 than GTech via the triple option

Not to endorse your taking my analogy at all seriously

Your comparing apples to, well, Oranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors