UConn Should Install the Triple Option | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Should Install the Triple Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This mantra we can’t recruit talent is a giant pile of crap. It’s proven otherwise around the country in places that should be 10x worse.

I watched Hobart College v. Montclair State yesterday. Hobart could nearly match up pound for pound against UConn’s OL as a DIII. There’s a problem and starts with terrible recruiting effort. I’m not talking elite skill players. I’m talking horses to power a run game which is supposedly is REs job 1.

Reaction Score
Bump.

Navy offense on fire tonight in Tulsa. Navy up 28 to 3 at the half.

4th ranked (FCS) Kennesaw State puts up 45 in their win. Maybe the Kennesaw State staff would like a pay raise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bump.

Navy offense on fire tonight in Tulsa. Navy up 28 to 3 at the half.

4th ranked (FCS) Kennesaw State puts up 45 in their win. Maybe the Kennesaw State staff would like a pay raise.

<3

Reaction Score
Ok I’m sold. What the hell do we have to lose?

Nothing to lose. It's probably the lowest risk hire UCONN could make at this point as it seems to work everywhere it goes.

To recap why its a fit for UCONN:

1) It plays to our recruiting level in that you don't need the best offensive recruits to make it work. For example we would be going after QB's deemed not good enough to run a regular passing offense, fullbacks, block first WR's..etc.

2) It's a ball control offense that keeps our defense off the field and wears out the opposing D, which again plays to our recruiting level on defense. Defensive recruiting could improve if the program starts putting up winning seasons. I also think going up against the triple option every day in practice makes defenses tougher, more disciplined, and better tacklers.

3) It would give us an advantage when the weather turns cold and windy. Perfect for a northeast program.

4) It would give UCONN a unique identity that is sorely needed. Now that GA Tech has dropped it we would be the only non-academy FBS team running it. BTW GA Tech made a bowl game 9 out of 11 years under Paul Johnson. GA Tech dropped the triple option because they decided they could never win a championship with it, which may be true but UCONN isn't in the P5 so we don't have to worry about football championships. (perfect fit)

We could be the new Georgia Tech which is a heck of alot better than our current situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing to lose. It's probably the lowest risk hire UCONN could make at this point as it seems to work everywhere it goes.

To recap why its a fit for UCONN:

1) It plays to our recruiting level in that you don't need the best offensive recruits to make it work. For example we would be going after QB's deemed not good enough to run a regular passing offense, fullbacks, block first WR's..etc.

2) It's a ball control offense that keeps our defense off the field and wears out the opposing D, which again plays to our recruiting level on defense. Defensive recruiting could improve if the program starts putting up winning seasons. I also think going up against the triple option every day in practice makes defenses tougher, more disciplined, and better tacklers.

3) It would give us an advantage when the weather turns cold and windy. Perfect for a northeast program.

4) It would give UCONN a unique identity that is sorely needed. Now that GA Tech has dropped it we would be the only non-academy FBS team running it. BTW GA Tech made a bowl game 9 out of 11 years under Paul Johnson. GA Tech dropped the triple option because they decided they could never win a championship with it, which may be true but UCONN isn't in the P5 so we don't have to worry about football championships. (perfect fit)

We could be the new Georgia Tech which is a heck of alot better than our current situation.
Great points. Plus from a fan perspective it’s reduces the interminable TV timeouts and clock stoppages after incomplete passes.

Reaction Score
I’d argue that while Tech could recruit better athletes than UConn; UConn can recruit better athletes than Navy.
You need discipline and execution by the whole team as one. Just having a few better athletes won’t be enough.

Reaction Score
Yeah but how does the Triple option stack up against stout defenses. I'm pretty sure anyone in the top 10 would steam roll Navy. It's a niche offense that only works if you are extremely disciplined and can't recruit players to a system everyone else runs

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is the last year of UConn football

No it isn't dumbarse.

No to the damn triple option, just need more talent on defense, a better quarterback as I like the wide receivers and Mensah.
UConn needs to tackle better going forward as I have no idea when wrapping up a ball carrier stopped being done. Stop with trying to blow up the player on huge hits.

Reaction Score
Yeah but how does the Triple option stack up against stout defenses. I'm pretty sure anyone in the top 10 would steam roll Navy. It's a niche offense that only works if you are extremely disciplined and can't recruit players to a system everyone else runs

So your argument against UCONN having the triple option is we would have a hard time beating teams in the top 10? LOL! I'm looking forward to the day we can beat a team in the top 60.

and to your second point about recruiting, you may not have noticed, but we aren't known for our recruiting prowess.

Navy is currently averaging over 40 points per game and they actually do pass the ball quite effectively as does Air Force. Boring, not so boring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been with Guap since the origin of this thread. Count me in for bringing in Paul Johnson!

Reaction Score
Of course...GT has gone the opposite direction, dropping the curtain on the triple option.

Under Geoff Collins, GT will try to go multiple...RPO, zone read, etc....Collins says that he will have to play an offense that suits the athletes on hand.

"The players that we have, we will fit the scheme based on the talents we have on our roster. So from year-to-year, and it's the same in the NFL, what your scheme is going to look like is going to be different based on the players that you have."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom