UCONN should be concerned... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN should be concerned...

Reaction Score
I disagree. You will see how this shakes out. Pheesa and Z will play like they are playing against Q again....will keep shooting, especially Z...she cant help herself.
And it will cost them. I hope i am wrong. But i doubt it.
Relax and enjoy it! Like old dude said!
No offense, but it reminds me of the parents that go to the games and cover up their eyes rather than watch. What's the point of any of it.
Gabby said it postgame a couple of weeks ago, "it doesn't mean as much when it's easy, it means more when it is hard and it takes perseverance".
The true "epic nature" of all of this is when we witness this collection of wonderful people pulling together through difficulties and trials and tribulations and figure out a way to prevail. Love the journey....

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree that in rounding the final turn and heading into the homestretch UConn should be concerned. So should MSST, ND, SC, Baylor, Oregon, Louisville, Texas, TXA&M, and the rest of the remaining 16 teams.

UConn is not invincible, and from that it follows that of course it is possible to find areas of potential vulnerability (though I leave it to others to debate the merit of the one you reference). The same is true of every other team. Guess we'll just have to see what happens, right?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree that in rounding the final turn and heading into the homestretch UConn should be concerned. So should MSST, ND, SC, Baylor, Oregon, Louisville, Texas, TXA&M, and the rest of the remaining 16 teams.

UConn is not invincible, and from that it follows that of course it is possible to find areas of potential vulnerability (though I leave it to others to debate the merit of the one you reference). The same is true of every other team. Guess we'll just have to see what happens, right?
There is no merit to the vulnerability mentioned.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you just posted. I got none of what you just posted out of the original post in this thread.

Looking ahead, I have only two concerns: Baylor's height and Mississippi State's defense. That latter issue, wherein MSU disrupted the flow of UConn's offense, came to mind during portions of our recent game vs. Quinnipiac. The Q guards got outside the arc and into the area where UConn's passes and handoffs initiate the offense and the subsequent cuts, screens, and passes. In those moments, the offense stuttered and timing was off as players had to adjust and look for other options. MSU did much the same last year. I am trusting that Geno and staff are aware of that possibility and coaching needed timing adjustments and ways to exploit such an extended defense. And make sure we get open looks both in the paint AND outside the arc.

The UConn defense gave up as much as 72 points only once this year-- just once-- and over 60 points only six times, some of those when reserves coughed up points late in the game. We held Baylor to 61 last year and MSU 60 in regulation time. So we don't need to pile up heaps of points, but neither do we want to be stymied, or so out of sorts that our shooting percentages drop.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
RockyMTblue.. Do you deny that Pheesa didnt play well against the good teams and all of a sudden found her game against inferior opponents?
I don't know if Rocky would, but I would certainly deny that.

You could argue that Collier has picked it up a bit here in the NCAA's, but that's a good thing, not something to be worried about.

That is what i find so disheartening about "sports discussions"...people arent mature enough to understand the topics.
What I find disheartening is posters not really thinking through their "opinions". And so they make some really odd observations. Then when called out about it, kind of whine about being questioned.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Azura can score with reasonable efficiency against McCowan or Brown (and that may be entirely possible), then she should try to do that as often as she can. Imagine what it would do to the Baylor or MSU defense if they had to bring a doubleteam to stop Azura!

If it turns out that isn’t possible (which I doubt), then Geno will shift the main offensive responsibility to the other players.

But my expectation is that if Azura’s minutes are limited in those games, it will be because of foul trouble or bad defense, not because of offensive inefficiency or a reluctance to pass the ball to perimeter shooters.

Azura has a significant mobility advantage over both McCowan and Brown, and Napheesa has the same advantage over Lauren Cox. I don’t think that they will have difficulty scoring against those players, although they may have trouble defending and rebounding against them. I think that foul trouble or an inability to clear the defensive boards are the two most plausible ways that UConn could lose to those teams.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Let’s have a relay race

Put pheesa at one baseline and Z at the other. Now pair them up with McGowan and Brown. Each sprints one length.
Who wins?

Now make the race 5 lengths. I think we may have neutralized any height advantage to Baylor or Mississippi St.

You notice I didn’t include the UConn big who jumps center. That is just not fair. But if you want to make it a three player race. We can do that too;)

Reaction Score
This team is 186-2 (.989) in the last five seasons. Yup, UConn should really be worried.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sometimes a bad question produces a good conversation--like this time.

Let's be clear: neither Z nor Pheesa will "disappear" against the best teams. For one thing, Pheesa doesn't need to get the cutting pass from Z to figure out how to score 20. For another, as part of motion offense, the cutting is often NOT intended to get a return pass: it's also intended to draw some weak side movement to free up Lou or Kia for an open 3.

But I think it's a fair question to ask whether Z has fully developed all her talents in the low post. Clearly she's made remarkable progress, and I'm really looking forward, in the event UConn beats Duke (I genuflect before the mojo gods here), to see her against A'ja--who is the most experienced, skilled post player in WCBB.

Finally, I don't think the question is whether Z is sufficiently integrated into UConn's motion offense. She sorta is. I think the question is whether she's sufficiently experienced in playing man-to-man defense against a skilled post without fouling out. Of course, Z will have a lot of help--Pheesa, Gabby, or both. But it will still be--if UConn beats Duke--an excellent way of getting a sense of things. THAT question may be the deciding issue in the event (mojo gods, I bow before you!) UConn ends up playing either MissSt or Baylor for all the marbles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another way to look at this is they are smart enough to take the easy inside shots when they are available. Why pass it out to Lou or Kia to shoot from 15 to 20 feet when you're standing under the basket? I think one of the things Geno and his teams are better at than most any other is adjusting the way they play as necessary.

Another way of saying it is that UConn takes what their opponent gives them.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Do you deny that Pheesa didnt play well against the good teams and all of a sudden found her game against inferior opponents?

Yes. Collier's game has been the most impacted by the presence of Stevens. Sharing the inside with Stevens, she shouldn't be expected to have the otherworldly season that she had last year. The beginning of her season was bumpy, but she's improved throughout the season. Her "not playing well" has led to her being second in points per game on the team, but leading in overall points. Second in rebounds, blocked shots, and steals, leading the team in made free throws, and third in assists, many of which have gone to Lou. She's also 22nd in the nation in field-goal percentage. I don't think there's much to complain about there.

And on to your original post, in the first five games, two against top-10 teams, two more against top-20, UConn had five different players lead the team in scoring. Oh, and Lou didn't play in 3.5 of those games. I think even against really good opponents, UConn can weather an off-scoring night by Lou.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I was way ahead of the curve as far as men watching womens college basketball..started when Louisiana Tech was top dog(no pun intended). I have followed UCONN for 20 plus years as I appreciated the way they played the game.
My concern watching them now is they are having a grand time tossing the ball into Z and Pheesa against these over matched teams and their best player just stands around. And when she tries to get position or cuts the lane Z just stares at her. Z shoots the ball almost EVERY time she gets it..which is great against these caliber of teams, but you know what is coming against some teams with bigs.. Pheesa and Z will disappear for the most part. Hopwfully by then they remember how to kick the ball back out. When Z is in the game they do not play UCONN bball in my opinion. This is NOT an attack on Z. Just my observation.

Go Huskies!
I am sure Geno and coaches will appreciate you noticing this.

Reaction Score
Yes. Collier's game has been the most impacted by the presence of Stevens. Sharing the inside with Stevens, she shouldn't be expected to have the otherworldly season that she had last year. The beginning of her season was bumpy, but she's improved throughout the season. Her "not playing well" has led to her being second in points per game on the team, but leading in overall points. Second in rebounds, blocked shots, and steals, leading the team in made free throws, and third in assists, many of which have gone to Lou. She's also 22nd in the nation in field-goal percentage. I don't think there's much to complain about there.

And on to your original post, in the first five games, two against top-10 teams, two more against top-20, UConn had five different players lead the team in scoring. Oh, and Lou didn't play in 3.5 of those games. I think even against really good opponents, UConn can weather an off-scoring night by Lou.
What made Stewie, and Morgan great was they dominated teams inside, which let shooter's like Moriah, Kia, and KML have open looks. The Announcer's on TV always wondered how teams would leave KML so open for three. You double the post so your own big's don't pick up fouls.

Reaction Score
Of course, Pheesa has had to adjust--still is adjusting--to having Z underneath--just like Stewie wasn't completely comfortable having Pheesa underneath and Pheesa was pulled.

But Pheesa's main problem earlier this season had nothing to do with Z: it was that she was missing open shots, including bunnies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Pheesa and Z as legit threats in the paint opens up the floor for Lou, Kia and Crystal. Its the inside - out game at which UConn has no equal. Conversely, the if the outside game is on, it opens up the paint. I don't care who the team is, not one is prepared to defend 5 double digit scorers on the floor at the same time. Now some may want to disagree and feel free to do so, but name the 1 team in WCBB that has 6 players averaging double figures. There isn't one. We have also left Gabby out of the discussion. Gabby does so many things that no other player has. Gabby at the high post is a very difficult weapon to defend.

Reaction Score

We shall see. They both are craving the ball against the lesser teams..Lets see what happens when they play some iron is all i am saying.
And please stop with the she is 1st in this and 2nd in this...Stats mean nothing when you play 20 stiff teams a year...

Reaction Score
Sometimes a bad question produces a good conversation--like this time.

Let's be clear: neither Z nor Pheesa will "disappear" against the best teams. For one thing, Pheesa doesn't need to get the cutting pass from Z to figure out how to score 20. For another, as part of motion offense, the cutting is often NOT intended to get a return pass: it's also intended to draw some weak side movement to free up Lou or Kia for an open 3.

But I think it's a fair question to ask whether Z has fully developed all her talents in the low post. Clearly she's made remarkable progress, and I'm really looking forward, in the event UConn beats Duke (I genuflect before the mojo gods here), to see her against A'ja--who is the most experienced, skilled post player in WCBB.

Finally, I don't think the question is whether Z is sufficiently integrated into UConn's motion offense. She sorta is. I think the question is whether she's sufficiently experienced in playing man-to-man defense against a skilled post without fouling out. Of course, Z will have a lot of help--Pheesa, Gabby, or both. But it will still be--if UConn beats Duke--an excellent way of getting a sense of things. THAT question may be the deciding issue in the event (mojo gods, I bow before you!) UConn ends up playing either MissSt or Baylor for all the marbles.
Best response on thread because why have a board to discuss the team if everyone is going to make it an attack on Geno or the players by questioning anything. I think the original poster highlighted something I noticed too. When Z catches the ball she immediately looks to score and not scope best shot. Lou has passed up shots where she could have taken it because she is getting the best shot while also keeping everyone involved. One on one Z had the advantage but at times she was doubled and did not look for who might have a better shot.

Regarding everyone else throwing stats, including those for Pheesa, most of our players have flaws and they showed them in the final four. No one is above reproach. That said, and like Geno said, "I don't worry about Pheesa." To make a counter point to the original poster, Pheesa actually lead the team in assists over the first two tournament games.

Sorry if this post is choppy, on airplane headed north (blah.)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If Azura can score with reasonable efficiency against McCowan or Brown (and that may be entirely possible), then she should try to do that as often as she can. Imagine what it would do to the Baylor or MSU defense if they had to bring a doubleteam to stop Azura!

If it turns out that isn’t possible (which I doubt), then Geno will shift the main offensive responsibility to the other players.

But my expectation is that if Azura’s minutes are limited in those games, it will be because of foul trouble or bad defense, not because of offensive inefficiency or a reluctance to pass the ball to perimeter shooters.

Azura has a significant mobility advantage over both McCowan and Brown, and Napheesa has the same advantage over Lauren Cox. I don’t think that they will have difficulty scoring against those players, although they may have trouble defending and rebounding against them. I think that foul trouble or an inability to clear the defensive boards are the two most plausible ways that UConn could lose to those teams.

You just have to hope that Dee Kanter is not officiating, she always calls those phantom fouls.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I disagree. You will see how this shakes out. Pheesa and Z will play like they are playing against Q again....will keep shooting, especially Z...she cant help herself.
And it will cost them. I hope i am wrong. But i doubt it.
I hope they play exactly like the way they played the Q.

Napheesa- 23 points (9-11), 8 reb, 1 block, 4 assists, 2 TOS
Azurá - 14 points (5-6), 1 reb, 1 assist, 3 blocks, 2 TOS

Reaction Score
I was way ahead of the curve as far as men watching womens college basketball..started when Louisiana Tech was top dog(no pun intended). I have followed UCONN for 20 plus years as I appreciated the way they played the game.
My concern watching them now is they are having a grand time tossing the ball into Z and Pheesa against these over matched teams and their best player just stands around. And when she tries to get position or cuts the lane Z just stares at her. Z shoots the ball almost EVERY time she gets it..which is great against these caliber of teams, but you know what is coming against some teams with bigs.. Pheesa and Z will disappear for the most part. Hopwfully by then they remember how to kick the ball back out. When Z is in the game they do not play UCONN bball in my opinion. This is NOT an attack on Z. Just my observation.

Go Huskies!

I'd be more concerned about Azura's ability to dominate against opposing tall, athletic posts...........Duke at least has some size so let's see how well she handles it..........

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
UCONN is the ultimate "Pick" your poison team.
If you try to run with us, we bury you in a ton of points.
If you slow it down, the score might be closer...and we still win by 25.
If you overplay our guards, we have two post players who are pretty much unstoppable.
If you clog the post, we have the best three point shooters in the nation.
Good luck choosing, hemlock...arsenic...cyanide.....take your pick!

Or they lose by 2.

Reaction Score

Go Huskies!
For somebody who claims to have been watching UCONN for over 20 years, it seems a key lesson has been missed. Do you really think Geno would let a player just stay out there and shoot away when he's give different instructions? As far as I can see, that is NOT the UCONN way.

Reaction Score
For somebody who claims to have been watching UCONN for over 20 years, it seems a key lesson has been missed. Do you really think Geno would let a player just stay out there and shoot away when he's give different instructions? As far as I can see, that is NOT the UCONN way.

I was thinking along these lines too. Changing the focus a little to underline the point, does anyone seriously think that Coach Auriemma has told Z. "Dont ever take another three!"???? I think her instructions are clear for threes and shooting in general. Are there times she might do better by passing out of a double/triple team? Sure. But her shooting percentage and points say she's doing what she's supposed to be doing.

Reaction Score
Of course, Pheesa has had to adjust--still is adjusting--to having Z underneath--just like Stewie wasn't completely comfortable having Pheesa underneath and Pheesa was pulled.

But Pheesa's main problem earlier this season had nothing to do with Z: it was that she was missing open shots, including bunnies.
I thought Phees and Z worked pretty well together last weekend. Going to be tough for any team to keep pace if those two keep it going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom