UCONN should be concerned... | The Boneyard

UCONN should be concerned...

Reaction Score
I was way ahead of the curve as far as men watching womens college basketball..started when Louisiana Tech was top dog(no pun intended). I have followed UCONN for 20 plus years as I appreciated the way they played the game.
My concern watching them now is they are having a grand time tossing the ball into Z and Pheesa against these over matched teams and their best player just stands around. And when she tries to get position or cuts the lane Z just stares at her. Z shoots the ball almost EVERY time she gets it..which is great against these caliber of teams, but you know what is coming against some teams with bigs.. Pheesa and Z will disappear for the most part. Hopwfully by then they remember how to kick the ball back out. When Z is in the game they do not play UCONN bball in my opinion. This is NOT an attack on Z. Just my observation.

Go Huskies!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was way ahead of the curve as far as men watching womens college basketball..started when Louisiana Tech was top dog(no pun intended). I have followed UCONN for 20 plus years as I appreciated the way they played the game.
My concern watching them now is they are having a grand time tossing the ball into Z and Pheesa against these over matched teams and their best player just stands around. And when she tries to get position or cuts the lane Z just stares at her. Z shoots the ball almost EVERY time she gets it..which is great against these caliber of teams, but you know what is coming against some teams with bigs.. Pheesa and Z will disappear for the most part. Hopwfully by then they remember how to kick the ball back out. When Z is in the game they do not play UCONN bball in my opinion. This is NOT an attack on Z. Just my observation.

Go Huskies!
Suggest that you watch the 3rd qtr of the Q game again. Q had been collapsing on UConn's BIGS in the 1st half. As a result, UConn moved the ball exceptionally well on offense, getting and knocking down numerous outside jump shots, forcing Q to close harder on UConn's outside shooters, which lead, once again to UConn passing the ball inside to Pheesa and Z for easy layups. UConn shot 77% for the qtr, pulling away from Q.

This is not Geno's 1st rodeo. Trust the process.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Somehow, not sure how he does it though, Geno has a Plan B.

Reaction Score
Given so many easy wins during the season, they must have time to practice stuff that nobody will see until it’s needed in the final 4?

Reaction Score
UCONN is the ultimate "Pick" your poison team.
If you try to run with us, we bury you in a ton of points.
If you slow it down, the score might be closer...and we still win by 25.
If you overplay our guards, we have two post players who are pretty much unstoppable.
If you clog the post, we have the best three point shooters in the nation.
Good luck choosing, hemlock...arsenic...cyanide.....take your pick!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Grumpy Griz.jpg

I still haven't finished my morning coffee and things are sorta out of focus, but do I have this straight: In the middle of the NCCAs with the Huskies the #1 seed, you want to work the theme "all empires crumble"?

Reaction Score
Suggest that you watch the 3rd qtr of the Q game again. Q had been collapsing on UConn's BIGS in the 1st half. As a result, UConn moved the ball exceptionally well on offense, getting and knocking down numerous outside jump shots, forcing Q to close harder on UConn's outside shooters, which lead, once again to UConn passing the ball inside to Pheesa and Z for easy layups. UConn shot 77% for the qtr, pulling away from Q.

I disagree. You will see how this shakes out. Pheesa and Z will play like they are playing against Q again....will keep shooting, especially Z...she cant help herself.
And it will cost them. I hope i am wrong. But i doubt it.

Reaction Score
@oldschool I have an important message for you from the movie Trolls:

Trust me, you'll feel better.

RockyMTblue.. How is that trolling? Do you deny that Pheesa didnt play well against the good teams and all of a sudden found her game against inferior opponents?
And Z shoots at an incredible rate as related to her minutes? Please tell me why these observations are trolling?
That is what i find so disheartening about "sports discussions"...people arent mature enough to understand the topics.

Reaction Score

Go Huskies!

Yes, Z definitely needs to improve her passing, immensly. But, she adds a dimension to this team that was missing last year. Z hasn't been the same against the better teams because she can't just throw the ball off the backboard to herself until she scores but from a rebounding standpoint & having another body if Pheesa or Gabby get in foul trouble is huge. Z would be an AA if she was still at Duke, btw. She's better than McCowan for sure. Haven't seen Kelani Brown enough to say one way or another. Remember, all our girls stats are behind bc they all share the spotlight. Other teams aren't good enough and have to rely on 1-2 players. Imagine if Pheesa, Gabby or Z were on any other team. Z's already shown what she can do and she's behind Pheesa and Gabby on the depth chart for a reason. Gabby might average a triple double and Pheesa would be closer to 25, 10 & 4 or 5 I would assume. :eek:

Secondly, saying Pheesa will disappear for the most part? What are you basing this off of? Go look at her numbers against the best teams we've faced the last 2 years. Miss St., Stanford & Texas (bc of terrible foul calls) were her poor games...too many good games to list (S.Carolina twice). She wasn't a consensus first team AA last year or 1 of 5 college players to make the cut for the US Women's National team by chance. Give me Gabby & Pheesa over any post combo in the country & I personally don't think it's close.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
RockyMTblue.. How is that trolling? Do you deny that Pheesa didnt play well against the good teams and all of a sudden found her game against inferior opponents?
And Z shoots at an incredible rate as related to her minutes? Please tell me why these observations are trolling?
That is what i find so disheartening about "sports discussions"...people arent mature enough to understand the topics.

You misunderstood me. I was just trying to cheer you up. If I wanted to call a sudden new member who brings negativity to gain attention , if I wanted to call that person a troll, I bring out:

Troll.jpg

Welcome and I look forward to many conversations with you. But we're in battle mode now. Dressing up the lines and checking the powder and ball pouches. The off season can be the time to say woe is me, will we ever be great again.

Reaction Score
Geno is smart enough to know that big players are not a threat if they are on the bench with foul trouble. He will go right at them, he won't try to win shooting from outside the paint. He was limited last year with a short bench but this is a different team this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Well said!!! The only thing we should be concerned about is the health of all the players. No tweaks or aggravations.
No injuries.........old or new!! At the end of the game, EVERYONE emerges unscathed and healthy!!! :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I disagree. You will see how this shakes out. Pheesa and Z will play like they are playing against Q again....will keep shooting, especially Z...she cant help herself.
You’re certainly free to disagree. I’ll trust the guy who’s won 1,024 games as a HC to put together an effective game plan and see to it that his players execute it.

Reaction Score
If there's anyone on the team that needs to keep shooting it's Pheesa. She shoots 60%. Why wouldn't you want her taking as many shots as possible?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Somehow, not sure how he does it though, Geno has a Plan B.

Geno has 30+ year experience doing this. His knowledge bank has to be huge. He has an excellent coaching staff that has extensive input into how things are done. Besides, CD will gladly let Geno know is wrong. (Joke people - just in case)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Maybe some are missing the point. No offense but the teams you just played were never going to have a chance. So their goal was to try and keep your scoring down with the idea that they will give up 2's rather than 3's. Why, because you have the best 3 shooters in the country and are more efficient statistically speaking. However, you are also pretty good in the paint. Bottom line, it really doesn't matter, as when it comes down to playing a better team, Uconn will go back into Geno mode and play the game that they need to win. At the end of the day the other teams will struggle with your defense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe some are missing the point. No offense but the teams you just played were never going to have a chance. So their goal was to try and keep your scoring down with the idea that they will give up 2's rather than 3's. Why, because you have the best 3 shooters in the country and are more efficient statistically speaking. However, you are also pretty good in the paint. Bottom line, it really doesn't matter, as when it comes down to playing a better team, Uconn will go back into Geno mode and play the game that they need to win. At the end of the day the other teams will struggle with your defense.
I agree with everything you just posted. I got none of what you just posted out of the original post in this thread.

Reaction Score

Go Huskies!
Another way to look at this is they are smart enough to take the easy inside shots when they are available. Why pass it out to Lou or Kia to shoot from 15 to 20 feet when you're standing under the basket? I think one of the things Geno and his teams are better at than most any other is adjusting the way they play as necessary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom