UConn - Seton Hall post game | The Boneyard

UConn - Seton Hall post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In a game where the over/under was supposed to be 137, someone apparently put cellophane over the baskets as it ended up 101. At one point, Seton Hall had 2 buckets in something like 20 minutes, and we weren't that much better (it seemed LOL). KK failed to score a single point and only 2 players shot above 50% - Liya... and Ines! Finally, about midway thru Q3, the lid came off a bit for both teams, obviously moreso for the good guys.

The outcome obviously was never in doubt, and the defense was really good. Some days you need to just hang your hat on that.
  • UConn ended up shooting 43% for the game but only 27% from 3.
  • We had 14 offensive boards and 20 assists on just 10 TO's
  • Held SHU to around 22% shooting for the game on 12-54. Gray was 1-11, Bains 2-8. They average 12 and 15 PPG respectively.
  • SHU was 2-23 from 3
  • Liya had a double double on 8-10 and 15 boards.
  • Ash shot 5-10 from 3 and ended up with 17 points
This game will certainly not go down as one of the prettiest to watch. but it was a W and everyone got to contribute, including Ines and Amari - each had an assist, rebound, and Ines with a nice basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only thing I can think of watching this game is how much better we will need to play in every aspect of the game on Sunday to even have a chance against SC in Columbia.

I can't decide whether I hope the game is called close or not. If the refs let them play, Paige will be mauled, but if it called close, half our team will foul out.

I guess I am not feeling good about chances based on the past few games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • If you’re going to come out laying bricks on offense in the 1st half as UConn did, shooting just 33% from the field, it certainly helps to hold your opponent to only 9% shooting and just 12 pts. :cool:
  • Aaliyah was an absolute force in the paint, once again. With so many missed shots, I was surprised she only collected 15 rebounds.
  • Fortunately, Ashlynn kept firing away until she got hot from the arc, which is exactly what you want a shooter to do.
  • Nice to see Paige shake off whatever it was that afflicted her in the 1st half and start playing like Paige Bueckers in the 3rd qtr.
  • The Huskies are working really hard at both ends of the court. The starters are all getting a lot of minutes, and the cavalry isn’t coming. The rest of the season is going to be all about TOUGHING IT OUT for this UConn team.
  • I thought it was interesting that Amari got some PT with the starters. With SC up next, who knows?
  • Not sure what to expect on Sunday, but I’m too invested in UConn WBB not to hope for a small miracle? ;)

Reaction Score
An uneven performance -- discombobulated in the first half, and then firing on all cylinders after midway through the 3rd quarter. Paige was 1-7 in the first half, then 5-6 in the second. Aaliyah was a monster on the boards and on D. The constants, of course, were Aaliyah Paige Ash. Those women are sturdy. KK was all energy, but not all judgment. Ice had a bad case of the fumbles. Nika looked good on defense, but also had foul-itis. I hope they've gotten it out of their collective system.

Reaction Score
Take a W every day of the week. Not all will be pretty and we were probably due for a bad shooting night. Better now than at South Carolina.

AE has really turned into the bedrock of this team. Steady on offense, steady on defense, steady presence on the court at all times.

The coaching staff really hit a grand slam with this freshman class. Aside from being incredibly talented they all show no fear and have from the beginning. Their compete level is off the charts and I just love watching them.

Ice shows flashes of what is to come but she’s still working through her game right now, but again another player we can see developing and progressing before our eyes.

Paige may not have had her best night but there was a 2 to 3 minute window in the 3rd where she took over on offense, found her stroke, and made the game feel more comfortable.

I really like that Geno got Paige, KK, AE and Nika out with about 4 minutes left and gave Amari and Ines some run. It’s gonna be a lot of minutes for the main 5 on Sunday so any extra break they can get is a good one.

Lets take it to the Gamecocks!

Reaction Score
In Q1, I thought we were going to run Seton Hall out of the gym by halftime.

But then the refs woke up for Q2 and it was just painful to watch both teams struggle to hit the ocean from the shore while also getting whistled for everything. The refs took the game over in this quarter and really changed the flow of the game.

Once we “woke up” in Q3 though, we really stepped our game up!!

Shoutout to AE in particular for just having an absolutely outstanding game from start to finish. Doing it so well at both ends of the floor. We would be so lost without her out there. She almost bagged a triple double!

Paige had a rough night to start, but once she got her groove back there was no stopping her!

I thought all of our starting 5 played very well in Q1, 3-4. The subs came in and played well as too. I really feel like Q2 was just a bizarre outlier.

We out rebounded them and (I felt) out hustled them to a lot of 50/50 balls. I liked that a lot.

Congrats to Geno and CD on 1,200 wins!!!!!!!! :)

Reaction Score
I t's good to get a game like this out of our system. Not really woth talking about except for the defense. Looks like defense is going to be Uconn's saving game. Kudos to Aaliyah and Ashlynn for a great game. My guess is Ashlynn will be FOW for the 6th time after this performance. GO ASHLYNN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Congrats to Geno for 1200 wins. The winningest coach is basketball history.
"The first time we played here (Hartford Civic Center) we played at 5pm as part of a double header with the men. The guys with the yellow jackets (security) and some parents were the only ones here. Now with 13,000 -15,000 people here, when nobody thought we could that, really proud of that."
No comments on that game...I have no words for what we saw...yuck. (ok, one word)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Perhaps a bit of a trap game, along with the 1200 win hanging in the air.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is playing at a different level. She has been so consistent and now getting steals and blocks. She shoots with such confidence. We will see alot on Sunday. Paige took over the game in the second half, seemed to hurt her had and came out. Shade a good performance all round. We will have a battle on Sunday. As good as we are we are playing without 5 keys players on the bench. We need to play good defense, limit the turnovers and hit our shots. All you can do is all you can do and all you can do is Enough.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno gets win 1200. Only two others have reached this achievement. Outstanding!!!!

An ugly game. Who puts lids on the baskets? Wow - the refs decided to use their whistles in the 2nd quarter. Made a mess of the flow of the game.

Second half was an improvement. Paige started to find the range. Ash kept shooting and dropping 3's. Aaliyah was a monster in the paint. Defense really throttled Seton Hall shooting.

Take the win. On to South Carolina.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
F4E7CEA2-8CA4-48BB-8B26-44AAE3C78834.jpeg

Reaction Score
Congrats to Geno for 1200 wins. The winningest coach is basketball history.
"The first time we played here (Hartford Civic Center) we played at 5pm as part of a double header with the men. The guys with the yellow jackets (security) and some parents were the only ones here. Now with 13,000 -15,000 people here, when nobody thought we could that, really proud of that."
No comments on that game...I have no words for what we saw...yuck. (ok, one word)
Thought coach K had 1,202.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't know where to find the actual stats, but while watching the game, it seemed to me that the refs called as many fouls in the second quarter as the other quarters combined. I mean didn't SH reach bonus territory before 3 minutes had elapsed??? And then they reviewed the stats at halftime and returned to calling some and not calling some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom