UCONN - Seton Hall post-game thread | The Boneyard

UCONN - Seton Hall post-game thread

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To my eyes, this was as good and complete game as I've seen since all the players started dropping like flies due to injuries, etc.

First tho, get well soon to Coach Geno. CD is certainly a masterful stand-in, but Geno is always missed when he's not there.

My only complaint in the 1st half was the turnovers. They had 14 at halftime. As Megan pointed out at one point, Dork was open for a mid-range jumper, but tried a high degree of difficulty pass to Liya and it bounced off Liya's hands out of bounds for a TO. It's something for the coaches to work on for sure. In Q3 only 3 TO's so it was cleaned up in Q3, but got sloppy again in the early part of Q4, but ended with 21, so "only" 7 in H2. Much better.

It was great seeing everyone get in during the first half. Not sure Amari or Ayanna did much - in fact, it seemed like a decided step backwards for Ms. Patterson - she'd been improving incrementally all season, but this was not a good game for her. Ines looked solid out there and while I'd rather not see her play 35 minutes a game, her improvements have been meteoric given her standing in for the injured Nika recently. She's a keeper for sure! Loved seeing Amari score a few baskets at the end!!

6 players in double figures. Took Aubrey the longest to get there, but all 5 starters and Caroline. 0 bench production from anyone else points-wise. Lead was 31 after 3 Q's and while I hoped that would continue in Q4, Hall is a legit tough team and they didn't give up playing hard to the end.

I really believe Aaliyah is playing herself into AA discussions. Not sure 1st team, but as UCONN continues to rise in the rankings, it may be hard to keep her off 1st team, never mind 2nd team, if she keeps playing like this. @MilfordHusky calls her "Thor" and I think that fits her.

Nika really is the engine that drives this team. Not only does her intensity set the tone and rub off on other players, she has proven time and again this season that she is a FORCE. Leads the nation in assists by a wide margin, and today we got to see the "scoring" Nika. If anyone complains again about "Nika needing to score to keep defenses honest", I will metaphorically strangle them! ;) Nika is exactly who this team needs at the helm. She sat on 9 assists for a long time, then BOOM. 2 in a row to earn a double-double. LOVE this for her. She is my POG.

Dorka and Aubrey both had solid games. Dorka more in H1, Aubrey more in H2. Dorka with a double-double - kind of a quite one as she "only" scored 10 points, but I thought she looked confident after her thumb injury.

Lou is a bucket. Would have liked to have seen her score more, but she is just so good. LOVE that we got her.

Huge shout out to Caroline. IMHO she looked as good as she did before her injuries last season. Scoring, playing defense, dishing assists - I was so pleased to see her find a good groove today. I think that she needed it for her confidence.

Overall a great game. Q4 certainly was not a thing of beauty, but for long stretches, I thought the team played really well. Given all the injuries, this team today would certainly have beaten Maryland if they played today. And we don't have Azzi back yet. AS much as I'm looking forward to seeing that, the team is showing they score a LOT in many different ways even without their best scoring threat able to play. Two thumbs way up for this game!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Seton Hall game:
  • Heading into the holidays, there was a lot to like about UConn’s effort today.
  • Pinch hitting for Geno, CD upped her all-time HC record to 15-0.
  • The Huskies shot 60% while holding the Pirates to only 36%, including limiting Park-Lane to just 2/14 shooting through the first 3 qtrs, before she finally got hot in the 4th qtr when it was too late to make a difference.
  • Congratulations to Nika on her first career double-double. When Nika, the nation’s leader in assists, knocks down open 3’s like she did today, it puts tremendous pressure on opposing defenses.
  • There was another Caroline Ducharme sighting today. While she’s not all the way there yet, Caroline continues to look more and more like the player we all remember from last season.
  • Aaliyah had a quiet All-American type of game, if such a thing exists.
  • 6 Huskies in double figures including a double-double by Dorka.
  • While it was mostly good for UConn, turnovers continue to plague the Huskies with 22 for the game. It’s enough to make a UConn fan pull their hair out. Fortunately for me, there is precious little hair left up top to pull out.
  • Lastly, and most importantly, MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY HOLIDAYS to Boneyarders everywhere. All I want for Christmas is a healthy Azzi Fudd. :)

Reaction Score
Great effort today. Hopefully we get to re-integrate Azzi soon.

AE - So consistent, on pace to be an AA (and brings the ball up against the press).
CD - So happy to see her get back into form before the holiday break.
Dorka - Very solid game. Double-double.
Lou - Got a lot of attention. Played patient and got her points. So smooth.
Nika - If she shoots like that, it opens up so much for others
Aubrey - Great in transition and great first step, but still a little shaky in half-court.
Freshmen + Amari - APplayed tough in Q4, but didn't really show that much today.

Challenges

22 TOs - We cant surive against an athletic, top team if we don't take better care of the ball. Nika played great, but a number of one-handed soft passes were shaky.
3pt Defense - We continue to give up a lot of open looks from 3

Reaction Score
Happy game for viewers with lots to like.

The most positive thing for me today was Caroline playing healthy. She can be so impactful to our success and GREAT to see her doing what we know she can do.

Second best is Ines playing at a more mature level than her age. Very important given our injuries and nice to see her get minutes and play well.

Third is Aubrey continuing play after bouncing on the floor and holding her wrist – thank goodness.

The starters played great, fun to watch.

BTW – Nika can pass, OMG.

Last, wishing Geno well.

Merry Christmas everyone.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Seton Hall was 9-3 and 2-0 before the game. The Huskies made a decent team look pedestrian. Not the first time they have done that.

Ines getting early run must mean she is stringing together good practices. Yeah!

The staff’s patience with Caroline is paying off. She seems to be smoothing out the rough edges.

Aaliyah doesn’t need much of an opening to get the hoop from the post. The first step is huge.

I feel bad for Ayanna. She is trying so hard (maybe too hard) with not much to show for it. It is probably the first time ever that basket ball hasn’t come easy.

Aubrey’s hard fall at the start of second half was because Cooks shoved from behind. That cheap stuff happens way too much in the women’s game.

Nika consistently making threes will open up the inside for Edwards Dorka even more.

Park-Lane was 2-15 from the field after three quarters. They took the best player away again.

15-0 for CD. Congrats.

Reaction Score
Here's the tale of the tape:

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 11.50.26 AM.png

Reaction Score
Now we are cooking. 6 players in double figures . Caroline with 16 points and 4 3's. Nika with 4 3's. Almost doubled the rebounds . This game might be the beginning or Uconn's resurgence to it's normal games in the past. Great game for EVERYONE. I predicted we will be undefeated in the BE and this is a good start. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
@SLY63 well said. All good except the turnovers. Yes, they lose badly against a top 10 team with 22 turnovers.

There was no intent to guard the 3 point line based on the defensive scheme. Seems to be Geno’s MO this year. . I don’t think SH had a single contested 3 point shot. It’s simply playing the odds. Though teams have shot the 3 pretty well against UConn this year.

Reaction Score
Nika continues to impress me...As a former martial arts instructor I can honestly say she would have been really good(Karate): Quick, strong and relentless.
Good to see lots of players get their minutes.
Lou: Hard to believe she was (Division 2?) before playing for us...love watching her play
AE really is showing her stuff, and yes, I believe she could be AA.
Dorka showed us why we miss her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nika continues to impress me...As a former martial arts instructor I can honestly say she would have been really good(Karate): Quick, strong and relentless.
Good to see lots of players get their minutes.
Lou: Hard to believe she was (Division 2?) before playing for us...love watching her play
AE really is showing her stuff, and yes, I believe she could be AA.
Dorka showed us why we miss her.
Lou was a D-1 player at Fairfield, although the level of competition was not quite as strong as UConn's.

Reaction Score
Oooowee!! Did not get a chance to watch or listen to the game but looking at the boxscore, I am getting goosebumps! Six players in double figures!? That means players were knocking down shots and Nika had a double digit assist game. Love that Nika was 4/5 from the 3-point line. She was feeling it today! I can't wait to watch the game later. Way to go, UConn!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Really, really enjoyed the mid week matinee. Of course it was not a perfect win but I will take it. We looked great for the majority of the game and I am going to enjoy it.
I am glad everyone had a good, if not great, time on the court.
It was great that Nika showed us that she is willing to score and still dish out all those assists.
I am glad that Caroline had a great game, especially scoring in double digits. And I hope that nothing happened due to having her foot stepped on.

Reaction Score
Really, really enjoyed the mid week matinee. Of course it was not a perfect win but I will take it. We looked great for the majority of the game and I am going to enjoy it.
I am glad everyone had a good, if not great, time on the court.
It was great that Nika showed us that she is willing to score and still dish out all those assists.
I am glad that Caroline had a great game, especially scoring in double digits. And I hope that nothing happened due to having her foot stepped on.
didnt get to see the game. Reading all the posts was very encouraging until I read your last sentence! AAAARRRRGGGHHHH

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Damn good game.

6 players in double figures. Dorka (points and boards) and Nika (points and assists) with double-doubles.

30 assists on 30 made buckets. That's absolutely crazy!!

Caroline looking much better.

Not overly concerned about the turnovers. This team is adjusting to who is available. It will correct itself.

Merry Christmas to all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom