UConn selects new AD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn selects new AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He helped negotiate the huge extension with Under Armour. Hopefully he can do the same for UConn.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
"He coordinated a five-year strategic plan for Auburn athletics, which featured initiatives for strategic priorities and goals."

tumblr_m470sgwTOK1r96fbno1_500.gif

Reaction Score
AUBURN, Ala. -- Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs announced Tuesday the hiring of University of Minnesota Deputy Athletics Director David Benedict to fill a newly created position as Chief Operating Officer for the Auburn Athletics Department.

Auburn legit created a position just to get this guy, this is not Drexel, but one of the premier athletic departments in the country wanted him on their staff that bad.

I do not know much about the guy, nor does anyone else, but he certainly seems like someone who is very well respected and knows what he is doing.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
FWIW, one of my buddies who works as a student broadcaster says that people within the Athletic Department are abuzz. Tons of excitement in the office.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I get what you're saying. But it has to count for something that Benedict knows what a successful negotiation process between a school looking to move up and a higher-tier conference than the one they're in looks like. I feel fairly comfortable knowing that he has that as part of his knowledge base.
Sure, it's a positive. Just no Under Armor please unless they triple what Nike offers.

Reaction Score
I like the hire based on what's been presented to us thus far. The fact that this was so quick and that he wasn't a household name, even among those who pay attention to these things, must mean we really, really wanted him.

Reaction Score
OK. of left field, so a surprise; but, after a quick review there is a lot of potential.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...ector-david-benedict-0301-20160229-story.html

• P4 experience: AZ St (PAC), U Minn (B1G) & Auburn (SEC ) - Check
  • Football Leadership: COO at Auburn, arguablely a top 15 football program - Check
  • AD Experience: Ran the finances and vendor relationships (UA) at Auburn - Check
With respect to the elephant in the room, conference realignment, Hebrst was quoted by the Courant as follows:

"We sought a leader whose grasp of the national landscape and relentless pursuit of excellence would be second-to-none. I am very happy to say that we found exactly what we were looking for in David Benedict."

The note that he has a excellent 'grasp' of the 'national landscape' has conference realignment written all over it. not to mention the fact that we have a P5 Associate AD moving to AD at a G5 conference. Most would view that as a step down. This guy does not seem to think so.

I do have two concerns. First, his is lack of experience working with a major basketball program as none of his stops (sorry VCU) are basketball powers and 2) lack of any connection to the Northeast so this may or may not be his final stop (his wife is a volunteer gymnastics coach at Auburn, then again, if he helps UConn into the P4, I'm all for starting a Husky gymnastics team).

One question that I have not had to time dig through the internet for is how much experience he has with athletic capital campaigns as UConn has a boatload of projects on the horizon - What to do with the XL relationship, possible new ice hockey rink, new soccer, baseball, and softball fields, 'moving' the field hockey and track field up, etc.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Seems like a quick decision. I hope it's a good one.

For those of you talking ACC, B1G, and SEC. What I heard lately and what the 1st articles said was Big 12 was looking like the only opening being discussed.

Reaction Score
Obviously need a BIG gun given the lack of progress to a P5. As far as I see, no BIG gun. Could be wrong, but..

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Some quotes with some very positive feedback on the hire from those he worked with, as well as Duke and TCU athletic directors. Starting to like the hire a lot the more I read, well done SH.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/022916aad.html
What They Are Saying About David Benedict

Feb. 29, 2016
Jay Jacobs, Director of Athletics, Auburn University

"I want to congratulate David and the University of Connecticut on this announcement. David is an extremely talented administrator who brings a wealth of experience from Auburn and elsewhere to the job. He helped us tremendously during his time at Auburn, and we are better for it. David is a great leader but an even better person. I'm happy for him and his family, and I know UConn will be in capable hands."

Dr. Kevin White, Vice President and Director of Athletics, Duke University
"Without question, David Benedict is just an outstanding hire! UConn has made a brilliant leadership acquisition, for David clearly represents an emerging 'pinnacle player' within college athletics! David is incredibly well experienced, and will unequivocally 'over deliver' in each and every dimension of his responsibilities. To that end, in particular, David's unique ability to build both highly valued and sustainable relationships internally as well as externally will serve the Huskies exceedingly well. Finally, there is absolutely no one that is more in touch with the needs, interests, and welfare issues that surround the modern day student athlete than David Benedict."

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

Gus Malzahn, Head Football Coach, Auburn University
"David is a true professional, a natural leader and an outstanding administrator. I've enjoyed working with him during the last two years and I know that UConn is fortunate to have David leading its department moving forward. We wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Shaka Smart, Head Men's Basketball Coach, University of Texas
"David Benedict is a tremendous communicator who understands what goes into winning. He will be intensely dedicated to UConn's student-athletes and coaches and help that athletics program continue to thrive."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Some quotes with some very positive feedback on the hire from those he worked with, as well as Duke and TCU athletic directors. Starting to like the hire a lot the more I read, well done SH.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/genrel/022916aad.html
What They Are Saying About David Benedict

Feb. 29, 2016
Jay Jacobs, Director of Athletics, Auburn University

"I want to congratulate David and the University of Connecticut on this announcement. David is an extremely talented administrator who brings a wealth of experience from Auburn and elsewhere to the job. He helped us tremendously during his time at Auburn, and we are better for it. David is a great leader but an even better person. I'm happy for him and his family, and I know UConn will be in capable hands."

Dr. Kevin White, Vice President and Director of Athletics, Duke University
"Without question, David Benedict is just an outstanding hire! UConn has made a brilliant leadership acquisition, for David clearly represents an emerging 'pinnacle player' within college athletics! David is incredibly well experienced, and will unequivocally 'over deliver' in each and every dimension of his responsibilities. To that end, in particular, David's unique ability to build both highly valued and sustainable relationships internally as well as externally will serve the Huskies exceedingly well. Finally, there is absolutely no one that is more in touch with the needs, interests, and welfare issues that surround the modern day student athlete than David Benedict."

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

Gus Malzahn, Head Football Coach, Auburn University
"David is a true professional, a natural leader and an outstanding administrator. I've enjoyed working with him during the last two years and I know that UConn is fortunate to have David leading its department moving forward. We wish him and his family nothing but the best."

Shaka Smart, Head Men's Basketball Coach, University of Texas
"David Benedict is a tremendous communicator who understands what goes into winning. He will be intensely dedicated to UConn's student-athletes and coaches and help that athletics program continue to thrive."
Granted, they wouldn't have included anything negative here but damn I like those quotes.

Reaction Score
I do have two concerns. First, his is lack of experience working with a major basketball program as none of his stops (sorry VCU) are basketball powers and 2) lack of any connection to the Northeast so this may or may not be his final stop (his wife is a volunteer gymnastics coach at Auburn, then again, if he helps UConn into the P4, I'm all for starting a Husky gymnastics team).

One question that I have not had to time dig through the internet for is how much experience he has with athletic capital campaigns as UConn has a boatload of projects on the horizon - What to do with the XL relationship, possible new ice hockey rink, new soccer, baseball, and softball fields, 'moving' the field hockey and track field up, etc.

new ice hockey arena on campus/upgrade to Freitas is necessary, otherwise the Hockey East will kick us out by 2017 or 2018 I believe. I agree all these projects may have played a major role in the hire of a financial and budget orientated AD.

Reaction Score
Granted, they wouldn't have included anything negative here but damn I like those quotes.

These type of responses are always political. That said, overall, these look good and they are good from some serious players in the industry.

For a contract, just check out the 2016 GOP Presidential Campaign. Ted Cruz is still waiting for his first endorsement from one of his current colleagues in the Senate or just something nice to say about him. Instead, they appear to be following one of my grandmother's favorite lines - 'You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, Don't Say Anything At All.'

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Alright boys, I live in Auburn. What recon do y'all need?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Coming from the plains of Auburn, Alabama he should enjoy the cosmopolitan urban atmosphere of Storrs.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Coming from the plains of Auburn, Alabama he should enjoy the cosmopolitan urban atmosphere of Storrs.
My fiancee, raised in Auburn, told me to tell you duckk you, but you're right. You're so right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom