UConn "Secret" Scrimmages | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn "Secret" Scrimmages

THC

Reaction Score
I'm amazed by how some people on this board will find something to complain about every single day. I don't know how people make it through life if they're getting this worked up over such trivial things like calling something a practice vs a scrimmage
You realize this is Connecticut, right? It's kinda our thing.

Reaction Score
Can we get one more positive post each about Joey California and Don't Sleep on Springs and then lock this thread before the curmudgeons take over for 6 more pages???

Reaction Score
Well, in fairness there has been some talk about Springs getting playing time, which was fueled by Hurley's comments at the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce breakfast on October 7.

Frontcourt reserve Richie Springs, who’s played a total of 41 minutes in two seasons, rarely comes up in conversation when talking about the Huskies.

But Hurley mentioned Springs on Friday.

“If we had a game tonight, Richie would be in our rotation of top nine,” Hurley said. “If Richie is brutal today (in practice), he’ll fall out of that.”
Every year Hurley teases that Springs might play..but he hasn’t. I would be surprised if that changes

Reaction Score
I had a hunch Harvard had a fan website where I could maybe gather some info about the game, but I was wrong.

All they have is an official sports website, and nothing else.

That official site mentions nothing about the scrimmage, which does not surprise me.

View attachment 80007
They typically give a little more insight on this game in their campus newspaper.

Reaction Score
Plenty of people have talked about Calcaterra, Springs, Yarin, and Apostolos playing.
This is like the "many people are saying" s__t you hear from certain political figures.

Calcaterra is in a different league than those guys.

The consensus was we'd have 10 guys who would compete for legitimate minutes, which is a big expansion over 7-8 in prior years. We still have 10 guys expected to get meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
This is like the "many people are saying" s__t you hear from certain political figures.

The consensus was we'd have 10 guys who would compete for legitimate minutes, which is a big expansion over 7-8 in prior years. We still have 10 guys expected to get meaningful minutes.

10 is too big of a rotation for the way we play. Whether through injury or skill/production it's going to end up at 8, maybe 9 guys by the end of the season. I won't speculate as to who, but I would bet my bottom dollar it happens.

Reaction Score

Disagree and take it to the cesspool.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can we get one more positive post each about Joey California and Don't Sleep on Springs and then lock this thread before the curmudgeons take over for 6 more pages???

California, bring us peace
Smooth and silky release
California, show your teeth
Springs release power
The power has been building
This is Richie’s year

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
UConn was originally slated to host its Blue/White Night on Monday, but rescheduled it for Nov. 2 in hopes that the Huskies will be able to field more of a complete team by then. If Karaban can participate, the event is likely to be more of an intrasquad scrimmage, perhaps divided into three 10-minute quarters. If Karaban can't play, the event will likely be more of an open practice.

What? One player's availability is going to dictate how the entire open practice is conducted? Seems a little strange.
Lol there aren’t enough healthy players to do an intra-squad scrimmage if Dre and Alex are injured. Take it easy.

Reaction Score
10 is too big of a rotation for the way we play. Whether through injury or skill/production it's going to end up at 8, maybe 9 guys by the end of the season. I won't speculate as to who, but I would bet my bottom dollar it happens.
Yes, in big games pretty much every team plays at most 8, and we won't be much different.

But those 9th and 10th guys will get minutes throughout the season, and nothing we've seen so far suggests that our depth is less than what's been advertised, regardless of the bedwetting we're seeing in this thread.

Reaction Score
Lol there aren’t enough healthy players to do an intra-squad scrimmage if Dre and Alex are injured. Take it easy.
There probably aren't many practices all year where 1-2 players don't sit out. Do they scrimmage during those practices? They actually have 13 scholarship players now and 2-3 preferred walk-ons. I don't really understand the concern but I'll let Hurley make that decision.

And I'm taking it easy. I wasn't making it a big deal just curious why 1 injury would change the way he practices since he probably has to deal with that almost every practice all season.

Reaction Score
Yes, in big games pretty much every team plays at most 8, and we won't be much different.

But those 9th and 10th guys will get minutes throughout the season, and nothing we've seen so far suggests that our depth is less than what's been advertised, regardless of the bedwetting we're seeing in this thread.

I consider the big game rotation the "rotation"... I think we're probably thinking the same thing but just defining rotational players differently.

Reaction Score
There probably aren't many practices all year where 1-2 players don't sit out. Do they scrimmage during those practices? They actually have 13 scholarship players now and 2-3 preferred walk-ons. I don't really understand the concern but I'll let Hurley make that decision.

And I'm taking it easy. I wasn't making it a big deal just curious why 1 injury would change the way he practices since he probably has to deal with that almost every practice all season.

In-season your starters and guys playing 20+ sit A LOT of practices, and will do very little scrimmaging.

Reaction Score

In season those walk ons and practice players can step into a scrimmage, a little different when it's an open practice with fans who are showing up expecting to see the actual team play for 30 minutes

Reaction Score
Courant version…

Free secret sauce here <<
Interesting point Hurley made in this article about last years team being physically intimidating and able to “punk” teams because of it. I never really felt like we physically intimidated anyone especially anyone on our level.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Interesting point Hurley made in this article about last years team being physically intimidating and able to “punk” teams because of it. I never really felt like we physically intimidated anyone especially anyone on our level.
Auburn disagree!

Reaction Score
I think you will see 11 guys that get regular minutes throughout the season. I'm not saying they will all play each game but between injuries and going with the hot hand or matchups, I say 11 see minutes.

Reaction Score
I'd rather see a practice anyways. I love seeing what skills we have guys working on.
You must of coached or think like one.
Coaches typically love practice and hate games . I think because in practice your ability to coach and control everything is maximized.
In. games frequently your reduced to spectator at times. You only have so many timeouts.
It’s like an artist creation ,inspiration , and enjoyment takes place during the process . The game is like showing the completed work at an exhibition.

Reaction Score
You must of coached or think like one.
Coaches typically love practice and hate games . I think because in practice your ability to coach and control everything is maximized.
In. games frequently your reduced to spectator at times. You only have so many timeouts.
It’s like an artist creation ,inspiration , and enjoyment takes place during the process . The game is like showing the completed work at an exhibition.

You would be correct. I coached HS for 7 years? and AAU for 5... the 12u-15u teams of an EYBL team. I also road the bench in college, so I'm prone to liking practices lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom