Uconn SEC rumors???????? | The Boneyard

Uconn SEC rumors????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No rumors just speculation. Rehash of the nyt article. Basically we won't play hard to get even if slive called.

Reaction Score
Hilarious how these bloggers see a rumor & recite it as gospel.

Reaction Score
Not hilarious, about freaking time we have positive press. We want to see this every day and keep the rumor alive.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It wasn't a rumor. It was a hypothetical question asked by a reporter to Warde.

"If the SEC calls, would UConn answer?"

ESPN posted it in an attempt to get gullible SEC fans to click the insider link.

If you are going to deal in Rumors, search Buffalo Lion and post those rumors.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The SEC, PAC 12, Big 12, B1G, ACC...whatever. As long as UConn's name is out there being linked to a conference that isn't our current one, I'm happy. One of these days, a smart league commissioner will make the call.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Screw espn, somebody cut and paste that blurb please
Go to NYT article thread and I posted the entire ESPN blurb there.

Any press linking us to a Big 5 conference is good press even if only hypothetical.

Reaction Score
UCONN is NOT going to the SEC. Don't know if the press matters or not.

Reaction Score
I do not believe the UConn to the SEC rumors are serious; but, it could serve as a warning shot to the other conferences to make a move soon, i.e. once the Maryland suit is settled. The last thing the B1G or the ACC wants is the SEC juggernaut linking-up with the NYC television market. Bad enough the SEC has a nose around the fertile Southeast recruiting grounds. Could force the B1G to make a play for UConn and an ACC school (or four) now, which would allow the SEC to grab a handful of ACC schools themselves in the race to get to 16 or 20.

Reaction Score
If UConn were to join the SEC, I'll move back to CT and open a NASCAR-themed soul food shack in E. Hartford.

Just open a Cracker Barrel, a Stuckeys and a Fireworks stand. Then, open a Duckhead outlet and erect a statue of Robert E. Lee. Done deal, sumbitch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I do not believe the UConn to the SEC rumors are serious; but, it could serve as a warning shot to the other conferences to make a move soon, i.e. once the Maryland suit is settled. The last thing the B1G or the ACC wants is the SEC juggernaut linking-up with the NYC television market. Bad enough the SEC has a nose around the fertile Southeast recruiting grounds. Could force the B1G to make a play for UConn and an ACC school (or four) now, which would allow the SEC to grab a handful of ACC schools themselves in the race to get to 16 or 20.

You would think that the ACC would learn something from Rutgers to the B1G. I have no doubt that Swofford expected Rutgers to be available for years to come, and now his league lost New Jersey and Maryland. Given a chance to get back in the game in the NY area...he opts for Kentucky, with a school that is a clear #2 in that state.

Reaction Score
You would think that the ACC would learn something from Rutgers to the B1G. I have no doubt that Swofford expected Rutgers to be available for years to come, and now his league lost New Jersey and Maryland. Given a chance to get back in the game in the NY area...he opts for Kentucky, with a school that is a clear #2 in that state.
To be clear--I don't think he opted for Louisville. Commissioners don't have as much power as we think, sometimes. I think he assumed they would add UConn when Maryland left, just as he thought they were going to take Syracuse and UConn rather than Pitt. It's just that some of his member schools had other thoughts and concerns.

As for the rumors as a whole--they're obviously not real rumors. But the ACC intimated that they were taking Louisville over UConn and, to a lesser extent, Cincy, because the latter two schools had nowhere else to go, while the former had the B12. Anything in a major publication that suggests--even erroneously--that we could go anywhere else but the ACC has to scare them. They know they can be raided again, and despite what they'd have you believe, they know that once you get past UConn and Cincy, there are no other desirable east coast schools (sorry USF).

If we're taken off the table by someone and the ACC loses more than one school, they have to start looking at Temple, USF, and UCF--or take a school like UMass* because their academics aren't horrendous, or a school like Memphis because, despite their academics at least they have a live basketball program. Do they take SMU because there are decent academics there despite a program that got the death penalty? I mean, think about it, it's gruel on the east coast after UConn, and to a lesser extent, Cincy...

*I know they don't take UMass--but for all their talk about academics, after UConn, what is there? Although, I guess, once you take Louisville, academics go out the window...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
YOU GUYS! The whole point of pumping UConn/SEC or UConn/whoever speculation is that you can't admit it's just speculation. We have to keep up the pretense that it's about to happen, even if that's not true! Oh crap, I didn't follow my own advice -

THIS JUST IN: UConn/SEC done deal in 20 minutes.

(Now I need to come up with a headline for 20 minutes from now).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To be clear--I don't think he opted for Louisville. Commissioners don't have as much power as we think, sometimes. I think he assumed they would add UConn when Maryland left, just as he thought they were going to take Syracuse and UConn rather than Pitt. It's just that some of his member schools had other thoughts and concerns.

As for the rumors as a whole--they're obviously not real rumors. But the ACC intimated that they were taking Louisville over UConn and, to a lesser extent, Cincy, because the latter two schools had nowhere else to go, while the former had the B12. Anything in a major publication that suggests--even erroneously--that we could go anywhere else but the ACC has to scare them. They know they can be raided again, and despite what they'd have you believe, they know that once you get past UConn and Cincy, there are no other desirable east coast schools (sorry USF).

If we're taken off the table by someone and the ACC loses more than one school, they have to start looking at Temple, USF, and UCF--or take a school like UMass* because their academics aren't horrendous, or a school like Memphis because, despite their academics at least they have a live basketball program. Do they take SMU because there are decent academics there despite a program that got the death penalty? I mean, think about it, it's gruel on the east coast after UConn, and to a lesser extent, Cincy...

*I know they don't take UMass--but for all their talk about academics, after UConn, what is there? Although, I guess, once you take Louisville, academics go out the window...

Central Florida is arguably ahead of UMass in academics. It's not a terrible school, and better than USF. But your point is correct, and the ACC botched this from the beginning. Instead of wading into the midwest with Pitt and later Louisville, they should have stayed east and taken Rutgers and UConn. Leave the B12 some options in the eastern midwest, so that they don't come calling for FSU and Miami. Now they are running out of attractive options.

Reaction Score
Central Florida is arguably ahead of UMass in academics. It's not a terrible school, and better than USF. But your point is correct, and the ACC botched this from the beginning. Instead of wading into the midwest with Pitt and later Louisville, they should have stayed east and taken Rutgers and UConn. Leave the B12 some options in the eastern midwest, so that they don't come calling for FSU and Miami. Now they are running out of attractive options.
Largely agree.

Concerning UMass vs. UCF: there are all sorts of problems with US News's rankings, but I do think they get things in the ball-park (usually). And among public universities, UMass is ranked 42, while UCF is 98. I think that sort of thing matters little except in perception, and since Louisville is now a "football school" and UConn isn't despite having a .500 record against them, perception is all that matters to the ACC.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I fel that UConn fits in the SEC as well as they do in the Big 12 or Pac 12. Travel would be a killer. However, away games for the Olympic sports, soccer, and baseball are a plane ride way in the A12 as it is. The goal should definitely the Big 10, but they would have to listen to the SEC if they came calling.

Reaction Score
After reading the SEC board it is amazing how little other fans know about UConn's accomplishments both academically and athletically.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten fans are the same. They would rather see BShe in the Big Ten before UConn. (desperate for Notre Dame of course). Those fans can eat S&*@!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Big Ten fans are the same. They would rather see BShe in the Big Ten before UConn. (desperate for Notre Dame of course).

Of course. You don't have to travel far to realize that the state of Connecticut, let along UConn, isn't on anybody's radar. We may know it is sandwiched between Boston and NY, has fortune 500 companies, high average income etc., but many people think of it the way we think of Delaware. New England is a place they know and Boston is the capital of New England. The idea that the Hartford-NH market is bigger than the market of most SEC schools would shock them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom