UConn - SC post game | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn - SC post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
But neither is Nika typically, unless she is wide open for a three. If Ines is wide open, she can hit a three too. Maybe Ines would have had fewer turnovers today.
Maybe Ines could have given the starters much needed rest
I guess you missed Geno's remarks that the 7 that are playing are basically the 7 he has... Of course, he could be sending a message to Ines but we don't know that...

Reaction Score
Who falls the most spots tomorrow in the AP poll? Iowa who lost to unranked Nebraska or UConn who lost to South Carolina. To me it should Iowa, but being that it's the AP it will most likely be UConn even though SC is the #1 team.
Uconn has a few teams that are suspect better just behind them, although so does Iowa. I think Uconn may gfo dow 3, Iowa down 2

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Who falls the most spots tomorrow in the AP poll? Iowa who lost to unranked Nebraska or UConn who lost to undisputed #1 South Carolina. To me it should Iowa, but being that it's the AP it will most likely be UConn even though SC is the #1 team.
Sadly, my guess is UConn...(I edited your post for you.)

Reaction Score
But you don't and they literally put a graphic up talking about it however you complain about them talking about a player who is going to actually play in future games this year being missing. UConn injuries have been know for months now. Move on it is what it is, this is the team you have and will have barring no future injuries.
And whhat about the other 4? We've been playing short handed for years! What is it that you can't see about their comment? SC is missing 1 and ESPN acts like they were "short handed" when in fact WE'RE the ones short handed! hey! You don't like my comment? Fine! I don't like yours either, however, this is a forum where ALL of us are expressing our thoughts about the game! Get over it!!

Reaction Score
Right now, there is big disparity between UConn & SC as programs. This year's SC team is better, more well-rounded than last season's team, which only lost one game to Iowa & Caitlin Clark. Kudos to Dawn for going out and addressing the one weakness they historically have had - outside shooting. That isn't the case anymore. Unlike UConn, who rely primarily on 2 players, SC has different players step up from game to game, depending on the situation.

Since the ND game, Paige has looked like a different player. She has notably slimmed down - the muscle she entered the season with has been trimmed away. Her outside shooting has been affected, the legs don't appear to be what they were at the start of the season. For her sake, I sincerely hope she returns next year, using the offseason again to build her body back up. She's had a fantastic season coming back after missing so much time. Next year, Paige will be fully back.

For now, UConn is outgunned against the top tier teams. No shame, but they will be hard pressed to beat teams with a combination of size and speed. This game displayed where Azzi, Aubrey and help for Aaliyah could have made a difference. Not saying they would have beaten SC, but the game would have been more competitive.
Losing Dorka and Lou was bigger then Uconn was prepared for. Both of them played through injuries to keep the team going.
Uconn never really replaced them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In all of the games played so far this season both women's Pro and College there have been fewer dunks in total then the dunks in most of any of the men's single game total.
It’s not just dunks, it’s rebounds, blocks, tips. Just being able to defend the rim… something we can’t do very well this year.

Reaction Score
We lost to the #1 team by only 18 points and some of you are acting like the sky is falling. Our shots weren't falling and they couldn't miss. I'm not all down and boo-hooing about this game, I think we will learn a lot from it.
On to Xavier...GO HUSKIES!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We lost to the #1 team by only 18 points and some of you are acting like the sky is falling. Our shots weren't falling and they couldn't miss. I'm not all down and boo-hooing about this game, I think we will learn a lot from it.
On to Xavier...GO HUSKIES!

It was a 25-pt deficit after three. UConn closed it a bit in what was essentially garbage time. UConn kept the board battle "relatively" close with Cardoso out , was even in the TO battle, were only outscored by 4 at the line, and hit the same number of threes. And still were never competitive.

Reaction Score
Azzi, Caroline, Ayanna, and El Alfy all missing from this game. But can I add that the biggest presence missing was Aubrey? She would have gave Watkins and Kitts fits in the lane. Her speed would have produced quick buckets and her offensive and defensive rebounding was needed.

There's alot of stars missing but Griffin in this match-up is the biggest hole missing.

Reaction Score
Azzi, Caroline, Ayanna, and El Alfy all missing from this game. But can I add that the biggest presence missing was Aubrey? She would have gave Watkins and Kitts fits in the lane. Her speed would have produced quick buckets and her offensive and defensive rebounding was needed.

There's alot of stars missing but Griffin in this match-up is the biggest hole missing.
Agree on Aubrey, a huge loss and would have made a big impact today. She fills up stat sheets and is as athletic as anyone in the country.

Not sure about the others making an impact- with the exception of maybe El Affy. Azzi can’t put together an injury free two months, no guarantees she comes back at all, and given how we’re talking about Paige not fully back yet from her injury year, imagine how long it will be for Azzi. Patterson has chronic knee issues, Caroline we just want her to resume normal human activities not related to basketball. We should not rely on meaningful contributions from any of them, and certainly hope that’s not plan A.

Reaction Score
Seriously? UConn has 7 players, two of which are freshmen not ready to play in that atmosphere against that team. It's a 5-player team.
And one of those freshmen ( Arnold) scored two points, even though she was our best defender. And Shade can't be a starter and shoot way she did. Anyone can go 6/19. I doubt she had such an off day in her entire HS career. what I aim saying is that our two starting freshmen would not be starting if we hadn't lost 5 players to injury for the season. And their back-ups are on the bench for a reason. So any expectations have to be tempered. We aren't that good. It will be a major accomplishment to win the Big East. So now, we play out the string. Engage in the BE tournament. And push on.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
You enjoy your type of basketball and I'll enjoy mine. When I played it was below the rim and if you even had any type of grip on the rim it was a technical. Today they hang all over the rim and there's no call. I don't considerate it basketball anymore in the men's game, both pro and college.
THIS 100%. I really loved the UCONN teams of the 90's when the success started as it was more the brand of ball that should still be played. But the powers that be want more competition and what better way to level the playing field than to allow ultra physical play. You don't have to be able to coach great anymore, just recruit big strong athletic players who can grab and out muscle opponents. Speed is used to throw yourself at people driving to the basket and get calls. Where's the skill there? They wanted it more like the guys game and they are getting it. But my interest is waning because of that. And by the way I wonder why there are so many injuries? This is a very rough sport. The evolution of the game is not for the better IMO.

K14

Reaction Score
I still think UCONN has a chance to make a good run at the Final Four this year. With the right draw we could really make some noise especially if 2 or 3 players catch fire during the tournament. Look at LSU last season. They got blown out by South Carolina but then got a favorable draw and won the NCAA title while SC lost in the semifinals after everyone said they were unbeatable. Look at 2016-17 and 2017-18 when we entered the tournament undefeated and then lost to teams we were favored to beat. This loss does suck. No one likes losing by 18 especially in the way we lost. But I think this team can still reach its goals and with some luck get back to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
First, thank you coach for running out the clock in the end instead of pouring it on. This game was not nearly as close as the final score would indicate. Losing by 30 is not as much a concern as how UConn defended the guards in the last two games they lost. When you have 4 guards on the floor you can't let the other teams guard outscore you.

The reason that is happening is they have to sag so much to help defend the post they are leaving three point shooters wide open and they are hitting enough of them to make it impossible for UConn to stay in the game. They are plenty good enough to beat the other teams in the Big East but when they are up against equal or better athletes they struggle mightily.

To have a chance in the tournament they will need to set one of the guards and play Ice with AE on the inside. Then they can play the post straight up and allow the guards to play tougher defense. This team will require great match ups to have success in the post season because they are completely opposed to doing anything different than they did today.

Reaction Score
Some takes in this thread…

Every team has bench players who see limited minutes. There is a reason some players rarely see the floor and others play 30-40 minutes every game. UConn is no outlier.
You say that like the ones they are playing are doing great. What is evident is the 6 they are playing now have no chance to beat a good team.

Reaction Score
Did you not see when they listed all the UCONN players out with injuries?
That is an excuse. UConn only has top players in the country on their roster and if they can't play that is on the coaches. At some point you need to point to the coaches who refuse to do anything different to try to be better. Playing 4 guards is a losing proposition but keep banging your head against the wall Geno.

When was the last time UConn beat a team with more talent than they have? I can't remember one either.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Every SC player was better than every Husky today! I don't even think we would have won with the 5 injured warriors on the bench. SC is relentless and deserves all the kudos. Only consolation is that Iowa got beat. Learn from the loss, move on, and hope we get sent out west!
Not true...Aaliyah, Paige, and Ashlynn all out-played the player they were match-up with.

Reaction Score
I’ve gotta say, I was pretty disappointed with Geno’s postgame comments. I thought he was way too dismissive of SC. The fact is, they are just better than us and imo he should have acknowledged that. Instead he made it out as though we didn’t win because we didn’t play well. That is true of course, but much of our poor play was caused by SC! They were simply better in every possible way and given our roster limitations, the only way we have any chance against them is for all of our team to play exceptionally well and for them to play poorly! We are not in their class at all and won’t be until we get our roster healthy. The truth is, we would not likely have beaten them even if we had played well!

I also thought his comments vis a vis our players either too harsh or downright delusional. I could not believe it when he said that SC had nothing to do with Nika’s poor performance today! I felt like they had everything to do with it! I’ve always admired his honesty when we were beaten badly but today, it just wasn’t there. I felt he was too harsh with Ice and way too lenient with Nika.

For the first time I find myself wondering if Geno still has it in him to get this team back on par with the elites. My heart says, wait til he has a healthy roster but some of the things he’s saying are, in my mind, pretty questionable. I mean, how does Ines feel after listening to that? Or Amari, for that matter, though to be fair she has made her own bed. Also, he made out like Paige is playing 37-39 minutes a game when in fact she has been playing far less until today! I don’t know, but you can color me concerned!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It’s not just dunks, it’s rebounds, blocks, tips. Just being able to defend the rim… something we can’t do very well this year.
Your reading comprehension must be a little off because I was talking about dunking, or did you miss the bit about hanging on the rim. The women's game is still different from the men's, where most of the rebounds, blocks, tips are still BELOW the rim. The only area I see that is a lot like the men's is the officials let it get too physical sometimes. Mr. Naismith would not recognize much of the game today, it was at one time a non-contact sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom