UConn - SC post game | The Boneyard

UConn - SC post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well... that was not what any UConn fan wanted, but what many of us feared. Congrats to SC for not only overwhelming us, but in beating us in every facet of the game. It's even more disappointing when one realizes that our result was no better than middle of the pack SEC teams vs. SC lately (Vandy lost by 17, Auburn by 22). What a get Paopao was for them from the portal.

The warning signs were there. A fair amount of lively debate recently by UConn fans over "who cares how you win - even if it's not pretty". Well, all the issues we saw, even in recent wins, were magnified and exposed in this game.

SC got contributions from almost everyone. Hall had an off shooting game, but SC had 4 starters in double figures, and got 19 points from the bench (UConn got 3 points from our bench - late 3 by Q).

Paige and Ash shooting 4-17 from 3 is not a recipe for anything good. The TO's and fouls from UConn actually weren't bad. We did show signs of life in the 4th quarter, but really had the end result of making the corpse more pretty. I think all our injuries really showcased just how little depth we have. When you start 2 freshmen and your only bench players are also freshmen, it's going to be inconsistent at best.

I think the team did do the best we could. Can't fault anyone for lack of effort or anything like that. SC is just the better team and while we are solid, all our flaws were exposed. I'm disappointed, but not down on the team. Look at what they have had to try to overcome this year!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
502BE241-E3CD-4754-83DF-26BF135916B5.jpeg

Reaction Score
Thoughts...

• Everyone on the floor gave it their all, just not enough talent or depth (available).
  • Not surprising, I expected a 15-20 point loss (prognostication was 82-63). SC is a bad matchup for us.
  • Gotta admit, I respect Dawn, and SC is the big favorite this year
  • Without the injuries this would have been different, but this is our team, no excuses.
  • Depth really killed us. Our bench (Ice, Q) can't compete at this level.
  • Really only had contributions from 3 players (offensively)
  • With Cordosa (sp) it would have been worse.

• I thought Shade played well. Never gets tired. Can't wait to see her in a couple of years.
  • AE and Paige just could carry the team and got worn down quickly
  • Nika just really can't contribute much against elite teams
  • KK is athletic enough, just not polished enough (yet) offensively
  • I really expected more out of Ice by now. Hope the upside is there eventually.

We really need good matchups in the NCAA tourney to get past Sweet 16

Reaction Score
Well... that was not what any UConn fan wanted, but what many of us feared. Congrats to SC for not only overwhelming us, but in beating us in every facet of the game. It's even more disappointing when one realizes that our result was no better than middle of the pack SEC teams vs. SC lately (Vandy lost by 17, Auburn by 22). What a get Paopao was for them from the portal.

The warning signs were there. A fair amount of lively debate recently by UConn fans over "who cares how you win - even if it's not pretty". Well, all the issues we saw, even in recent wins, were magnified and exposed in this game.

SC got contributions from almost everyone. Hall had an off shooting game, but SC had 4 starters in double figures, and got 19 points from the bench (UConn got 0 points from our bench).

Paige and Ash shooting 4-17 from 3 is not a recipe for anything good. The TO's and fouls from UConn actually weren't bad. We did show signs of life in the 4th quarter, but really had the end result of making the corpse more pretty. I think all our injuries really showcased just how little depth we have. When you start 2 freshmen and your only bench players are also freshmen, it's going to be inconsistent at best.

I think the team did do the best we could. Can't fault anyone for lack of effort or anything like that. SC is just the better team and while we are solid, all our flaws were exposed. I'm disappointed, but not down on the team. Look at what they have had to try to overcome this year!
We were completely outclassed

Reaction Score
ok, that's over. Paige did what she could, but Hall played well against her. Aaliyah did her usual excellent thing, and Ash did what she could, as did Nika. But it wasn't enough. I'm proud of them and they can only grow from this one. Paopao hit 4 3s early on and it was hard to recover from that.

Reaction Score
Was expecting a loss but was also hoping it would be a closer game. :(

IMO, the game was lost in Q1 when UConn had many chances to score but simply struggled to put up points. Let SCar establish and dominate too early.

It sucks that for the last 3 seasons we have had to play “short handed” against South Carolina. How different things might have been for every game if we hadn’t been beset by multiple injuries. Not saying UConn would have won them all (or any of them), but it would have been a more even playing field.

We are average this year, unfortunately. Not unlike last year. Just gotta close out the BE, win the BE tourney, and hope for the best going into the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
Biggest concern was, similar to the ND game, no adjustments by UConn, particularly on defense. All year, the pick and roll at the top of the key has been an issue. Kudos to Edwards for strong game at both ends. She made mistakes but looked like a future pro the way she battled.

Reaction Score

SC got contributions from almost everyone. Hall had an off shooting game, but SC had 4 starters in double figures, and got 19 points from the bench (UConn got 0 points from our bench).

Two common things I have witnessed in our 5 losses, quick guards who can score give us problems, and when we get behind we resort to one-on-one basketball. We stopped sharing the ball and then it was a free for all. I have no doubt an experienced KK next year will be better suited to guard quick guards than Nika, but we really needed Aubrey's defense, Azzi's shooting and Jana in the paint to allow AE to come out more on the perimeter. Simply put, we are a team that can beat 98% of the teams in the country, but clearly are not capable of winning against the elite teams, not this season. I am okay with that and have resigned to just enjoying the remainder of the season and the BE tournament.

Reaction Score
Tough game, especially on the road....our 2 All Americans had 20 each in a hard fought game. Picture Fudd shooting those 3s instead of Shade, and KK pulling up short for a quick jump shot instead having the same result over and over under the basket. 12 assists is not a good sign either, but the turnovers were even. Who knows what would have happen without injuries this year, all we can do is be happy with what we have.

Reaction Score
I expected a 20 point loss. Close enough.

I think UConn had some good looks, but shots just not falling. SC was hitting everything. Like, everything.

Ice was not very good today. She needs to get a lot better. A lot.

SC is number one for a reason. Imagine if Cordosa was playing? Yikes….clearly Dawn wasn’t worried about her not being there. At all.

Too many disparities with this team. Injuries have killed them. Zero depth, zero bench. I will be impressed if they get to the sweet 16, but kind of doubt it.

It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Thoughts...

• Everyone on the floor gave it their all, just not enough talent or depth (available).
  • Not surprising, I expected a 15-20 point loss (prognostication was 82-63). SC is a bad matchup for us.
  • Gotta admit, I respect Dawn, and SC is the big favorite this year
  • Without the injuries this would have been different, but this is our team, no excuses.
  • Depth really killed us. Our bench (Ice, Q) can't compete at this level.
  • With Cordosa (sp) it would have been worse.

• I thought Shade played well. Never gets tired. Can't wait to see her in a couple of years.
  • AE and Paige just could carry the team and got worn down quickly
  • Nika just really can't contribute much against elite teams
  • KK is athletic enough, just not polished enough (yet) offensively
  • I really expected more out of Ice by now. Hope the upside is there eventually.

We really need good matchups in the NCAA tourney to get past Sweet 16
And extremely accurate post

I

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The game went about as expected by me and other UConn fans...It's difficult to play (essentially) 5 against 8.

Their bench scored 19 points against the one 3 for Q and that was most of the difference between the teams.

We didn't play particularly well; no interest in singling out individual players...but they were bigger, more experienced, shot better and defended well...and without their huge presence inside ...as noted; we can compete with a lot of teams but SC is a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
I was waiting for one of the announcers to inevitably reference SC missing Cardoso. "Impressive win, even without C" Really!?!? Did you not notice the talent sidelined on the UConn bench (not to mention Caroline).

You play with what you have, and SC looked great. But please don't add on by making gratuitous comments.

Reaction Score
How does EVERY PLAYER make every single
Shot they shoot when they play us!!!????

Just heartbreaking.

Uconn 2024 we are NOT done, but we have to make
Our layups man..

Just a sad day, but I am
Proud of our girls for fighting with what we had

#GoHuskies

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was hoping that we would go into Columbia just like the Golden Domers went into Storrs, and we would get an unlikely win. That didn't happen. Our starting 5 did their best but it was not enough. I could say that they only outscored us by 4 in the 2nd half but that don't mean "nuthin".
The good thing is that we should not face any other team that is close to SoCar's abilities until well into the Big Dance and as a result won't have to practice to play as good of a team for a while.
I'm glad that we played the whole game but SoCar is just the BEST "TEAM" in the country and the only way they lose is if 4 or 5 of their players don't "show up" for a game.
Looking forward to the next UConn game!!!!

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
I was waiting for one of the announcers to inevitably reference SC missing Cardoso. "Impressive win, even without C" Really!?!? Did you not notice the talent sidelined on the UConn bench (not to mention Caroline).

You play with what you have, and SC looked great. But please don't add on by making gratuitous comments.
Did you not see when they listed all the UCONN players out with injuries?

Reaction Score
One of UConn’s weaknesses expected was rebounding. Need to boost that. Hoping program takes a different direction soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom