UConn / Rutgers Analysis | The Boneyard

UConn / Rutgers Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
UConn at Rutgers Saturday, 4:00 THE RAC!!!!

There was a time, youngsters, that Rutgers was a team to be feared. And the RAC was a torture chamber. Geno would tangle with the fans and they would give him all he could handle. Rutgers was physical opponent as any team Uconn would play in the past. And it seemed like every game was a war. I know, I know, it's hard to believe....but it's true. Ok, they did play Uconn tough in last season’s BIG EAST Tournament quarterfinal victory in Hartford, Conn, 49-34. But Uconn has won the last 9 straight.

UConn leads the series 29-6, including 17 of the first 18 meetings between the two teams.

Rutgers is having a tough year to date and injuries haven't helped. They are 14-9 overall and 5-5 in the Big East. Bad losses include to Boston College and Seton Hall. Notre Dame beat them by 25. They are 11-1 at home, but the best team they have played at home was either, Villanova, St. Johns (their only loss), and Gtown.

Rutgers is, as usual, offensively challenged. They shoot only 41.4% from the field, 25.9% on 3's, and only 65.7% on FT's. Their assists to TO ration is as bad as you will ever see from a Div I team. 314 assists and 460 TO's. That hurt to type. It's a wonder that they can score the 57.4 points per game that they average. Defensively, they are still tough. But they are not a great rebounding team. All this adds up to a recipe for disaster for the Scarlett Knights.

Uconn has been steady with their starting 5. Doty, Hartley, Faris, Dolson and KML. Rutgers? Not so much. Oliver started the first 14 games. Off the bench the last 7. Copper started a few but back to the bench. Evans started a game over those 7 games as well. Cviv appears to have settled in to a lineup the last three games, but those 5 players are 5'4”, 5'7”, 5'7”, 6' and 6'2. There is no way that those 5 can guard the much taller Huskies. So, do I match up Oliver back into the starting lineup? What to do, what to do. Well, this is such an ugly matchup that it really doesn't matter. So I'll just go with the small lineup that she has started the last 3 games.
PG – Doty 5’10” SR (4.0 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.5 apg) vs Richardson 5'4” SO (5.0 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.8 apg)Advantage Uconn
SG – Hartley 5’9JR (9.5 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 3.5 apg) vs Davis 5'7” SO (3.0 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 3.2 apg)AdvantageUconn

SF – Faris 5'11” SR (10.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.2 apg) vs Wheeler 5'7” SR (10.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.4 apg)AdvantageUConn
PF – KML SO 6’ (16.8 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.4 apg) vs Laney 6'0” SO (9.5 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.7 apg)
Advantage UConn

C Dolson 6’5” (14.2 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 3.2 apg) vs Lee 6'2” JR (6.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg, .7 apg)
Advantage UConn

Total stats off the bench – Uconn – 26.2, 16.4, 4.7 vsRutgers – 20.6 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 2.3 apg
Advantage UConn
Geno Auriemma vs CVivian Stringer

Advantage UConn

Intangibles –The RAC is a tough place for an opponent to play. Small, loud, and an insane student section, especially towards Geno. I hate shutouts, so I'll give this one to RU.

Advantage Rutgers
Team Stats UConn listed first
Rebounds PG 43.0 35.9
Assists PG 21.3 13.7
TO/G 13.8 20.0
Opponents PPG 46.9 52.4
FG % 50.1 41.4
Opponents FG% 29.1 37.4
3pt % 37.9 31.7
Final analysis – As tough as Rutgers can be, and as difficult it usually is for Uconn at the RAC, this is just not a good RU team. They have some serious matchup problems. Faris, KML, Dolson, Tuck, Stewart and Stokes will post up all day long. RU has to force TO's and Uconn won't cooperate.

Final prediction – UConn in a another laugher. I just can't see any way RU keeps this close. That being said, you never know and another St. Johns game could pop up if they do look ahead to Baylor and don't take this game seriously enough. Not going to happen, but I wanted to throw a little mojo out there.

Reaction Score
Somebody thinking about Baylor? Rutgers game Saturday at 4pm.

57.4 ppg? Racehorse basketball for the SKs!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Haven't heard more about the injury to Lee that happened against Depaul. So don't know weather or not she'll play. However, we played so much better without her(it's true).

Add to that the list is Oliver who's ankle is not 100% and hasn't played many minutes since injuring it.

To me I think it's time for CVS to really start looking forward to next year and getting these freshman ready for prime time. Our seniors this year haven't stepped up this year at all. Wheeler's shot has must have not gotten on the plane from Spokane last year because that was her last good shooting game. Lee has been a turnover machine, and I had very high hopes for her coming back this year. And Oliver, she has been up and down all season long very disappointing.

Our freshman class is way more talented then our seniors, so I say sit the seniors and play the future. Hollivay and Butts have a very high upside. Cooper and Person could be a very good one-two punch. Add in Tyler Scaife next year, who I pray will be our starting point guard from the jump. And our future is bright. Out with the old, in with the new.

I have seen about every game I can this year, and everyone can blame CVS for our owes. But it's the players, especially who have been underachievers this year. I can say that because I know for a fact that Wheeler can shoot the ball, and Lee can catch the ball without walking, or making a layup. I've seen them do it for the past four to five years.

Sorry for ranting.

This game will be a blowout, all I hope is that our freshman get alot of playing time to give them very valuable experience moving forward.

Also, I wish you guys goodluck on Monday. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot that Coler said, and no, it won't be close.

While I don't completely excuse the coach, the truth is that underperforming seniors are a big part of this season's disappointment, combined with the notorious slow development of Frosh in the RU program. I too would be inclined to give more hours to the youngins (and he's telling the truth, the team played better without Lee or Mo, at least at DePaul).

As Coler said, the future is (surprisingly to some) actually bright, as there have clearly been some growing pains this year with the younger players as well.

Worst issues: Shooting percentage (especially from the 3 and FT), turnovers and 3 point percentage against.

Best: At least lately, running some nice offensive plays that resulted in open shots in the DePaul game, so at least theorectically it can be done.

Won't stop the UConn juggernaut, the only games you are going to struggle to win are Baylor and ND - and you may win or lose both, but I suspect a split.

Reaction Score
Turns out I'm going to be at the game. I'll be traveling through that part of NJ just before tip off and decided to stop and see the game. I was able to get some good tickets. I see it's sold out now - SRO tickets only. I've never been to the RAC - looking forward to it and I'd appreciate it if the snow could not happen.

Reaction Score
I think we may see Hollivay start this game - not that it makes any difference in which team has the advantage at the 5. She was very impressive against DePaul and neither Oliver nor Lee are 100%. I am selfishly hoping we can keep it fairly close, but realistically, don't see that happening. Let's just shoot for ref's to call the game fairly and no more injuries for either team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think we may see Hollivay start this game - not that it makes any difference in which team has the advantage at the 5. She was very impressive against DePaul and neither Oliver nor Lee are 100%. I am selfishly hoping we can keep it fairly close, but realistically, don't see that happening. Let's just shoot for ref's to call the game fairly and no more injuries for either team.

I actually wrote that Hollivay would see some minutes to see if she was mentally and physically ready for this level of competition. I deleted that line for some reason that I can't remember now...lol.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Coler and Knight, you are very gracious. Here's hoping that Rutgers can right the ship for next year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn 83 RU 48 This will be ugly. UConn has height, cna shoot form the outside and can rebound. I dont think UConn will be looking ahead to Baylor. Geno already had a tuff practice this week and the team knows what theyre suppose to do and what is expected. This will be a tune up for Baylor and we just may see Kiah Breanna and Stef all in at the same time. Doggy nice job. We remember the battles with RU a few years back. It aint that way anymore.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Rutgers will be hard pressed to break 40.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Coler had a sort of an ominous typo when he stated that everyone "blames CVS for our owes." Doesn't RU owe her nearly a million bucks per year for about three more seasons? Like Bank of America or the portly NJ Guv, she's gotten "too big to fail." Or fire.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Coler had a sort of an ominous typo when he stated that everyone "blames CVS for our owes." Doesn't RU owe her nearly a million bucks per year for about three more seasons? Like Bank of America or the portly NJ Guv, she's gotten "too big to fail." Or fire.

It was pretty late when I posted that rant. I meant to say woes. :confused:

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
This game a sellout? Can that be true? I remember reading in the Big East notes a couple of weeks ago that Rutgers had drawn 13,000 or so fans in 10 home games with no crowd over 2,000.

Reaction Score
Y
UConn 83 RU 48 This will be ugly. UConn has height, cna shoot form the outside and can rebound. I dont think UConn will be looking ahead to Baylor. Geno already had a tuff practice this week and the team knows what theyre suppose to do and what is expected. This will be a tune up for Baylor and we just may see Kiah Breanna and Stef all in at the same time. Doggy nice job. We remember the battles with RU a few years back. It aint that way anymore.

Even though the battles aren't as tough as they were a few years ago, I am still hoping it will be a competitive game. It was a pretty good rivalry there for a few years and I, for one, will miss it when we move to the B1G. I am hoping we will continue to schedule UConn when we leave the Big East.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Intangibles –The RAC is a tough place for an opponent to play. Small, loud, and an insane student section, especially towards Geno. I hate shutouts, so I'll give this one to RU.

Advantage Rutgers
There is another intangible - CViv has 899 wins and her team most likely wants to get her a big win for #900. The Scarlet Knights will be motivated.

Turns out I'm going to be at the game. I'll be traveling through that part of NJ just before tip off and decided to stop and see the game. I was able to get some good tickets. I see it's sold out now - SRO tickets only. I've never been to the RAC - looking forward to it and I'd appreciate it if the snow could not happen.
I've been to the RAC a couple times - it's a really nice venue. You might have to park pretty far from the facility, though, so allow extra time for parking and walking.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Extra far away parking the last couple of years, as Rutgers is doing an enormous amount of building on campus in the RAC area. Shrunk the nearby lots.

Incidently, the OP called the RAC small - it seats 8000. It was built for dual use with the then NJ Nets, while their arena was being built, in the '70's. FWIW, a renovation is planned with funds being raised.

And, likewise just FWIW, Rutgers is honoring Sue Wicks on her selection to the WBB HOF at the game, which is also RU's Play 4 Kay game. Wicks is one of 2 players with their number retired, and still holds numerous records (some both men and women's) 25 years later. For those who remember her only as a WNBA player, at Rutgers she was a prolific scorer, 3 time AA and National Player of the Year her senior year.

Reaction Score

Kiah, Stewart and Dolson in at the same time brings a huge grin to my "cyo/aau big man" face. If kiah becomes more of an offensive threat and Breanna regains her early season consistency I could easily see this as a viable starting lineup for next year. Lacks speed which we know geno loves but when youd have 10 blocks minimum a game, who needs to rush to score when you would only allow 25 lol. Bring back the old school big (wo)man game!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kiah, Stewart and Dolson ... Lacks speed which we know geno loves but when youd have 10 blocks minimum a game, who needs to rush to score when you would only allow 25 lol. Bring back the old school big (wo)man game!
Not that much of a loss of speed, though. Those three are surprisingly quick up the floor for big girls.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO the only thing that Breanna is lacking is her outside shot. When she gets her outside shot back she will look more confident. Right now her outside shot isnt falling. I would like to see her taking more shots from around the foul line and not from behind the arc. I think that will help her confidence. It just seems to me when she get pushed around underneath she resorts to the arc. Overall the past few games her stats other then her trey shot arent bad. In fact they are really good.

MJ and Tuck looked great today. MJ makes things happen. She explosive with the ball. MJ is developing into a complete player both underneath and outside. Both will be very special players over the next 3.5 years.

Bria not feeling well I hope is not a problem for Monday nite. Bria has looked really good and IMO is shes on Monday nite along with KML and Stef we will be in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom