UCONN Recruits and "The Gotta Want It" factor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN Recruits and "The Gotta Want It" factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
IMO If Nneka would have gone to UConn instead of Stanford she would have been as good but with 2-4 national championships! Harper would have had an actual WNBA career is she would have come to UConn (as she intitialy did verbaly before Freze stole her) instead to MD. Kiah V. would have been a great player had she come to UConn instead of being forgotten on the court while playing for RU, etc....

Instead all Nneka has to show for it is an incredible career and a crappy little Stanford education. Add Nneka to Baylor or ND and either of them would have won 2 championships during her career. Can you imagine a combo of Nneka and Griner?

Reaction Score
Instead all Nneka has to show for it is an incredible career and a crappy little Stanford education. Add Nneka to Baylor or ND and either of them would have won 2 championships during her career. Can you imagine a combo of Nneka and Griner?
Fact of the matter is that for the next 10 years or so Nneka will have no use for her "crappy little" Stanford education as she'll be playing professional basketball in the US and around the world.....

Reaction Score
Fact of the matter is that for the next 10 years or so Nneka will have no use for her "crappy little" Stanford education as she'll be playing professional basketball in the US and around the world.....
and hob-nobbing with Condi Rice.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Of course I used "crappy little Stanford education" completely tongue in cheek.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Any kid who comes to UConn has a better chance of being developed then anyplace else, imo. Its not only the coaching its the environment. The enviornment of players and former players who are all on the same page. Its the fan base, the media, and yes the Boneyard. The reason Geno wins and continues to have his team, perform at the highest level is because of who surrounds them with. Team members and former players. Im sure high school players know exactly what theyre in for when they come to UConn. Some will, some wont, so what. You cant have everybody and not everybody wants UConn and thats fine. I dont care how good you are, if you not willing to make a total commitment, your not going to make it to your highest level, no matter what you do in life. How much better would Neka, Griner and Glory Johnson be if they came to UConn? Well imo you cant really say. Because we dont know if they would be willing to make the commitment that is expected at UConn.

As far as some of the posts about Bria, Tina, Maya and Saniya. I do know they all wanted to come and in Saniyas case she wants to play for UConn. Tina told Geno I want to play for you. Understand in NY AAU Girls BB, UConn is viewed as the NY Yankees of WCBB. The dads and coaches in NY and NYC know who is good enough to play for UConn. Those same people also know who they dont want their kids to play for. Yes Bria and Maya and Tina all wanted to be Huskies. There werent any other considerations. Breanna wanted to be a Husky since approx 8th grade. Its alot more fun to make alot of money doing something you love to do like play BB professionally then to have a J.O.B. (Just Over Broke) LOL .

I heard that when Geno offers Saniya will verbal. As far as why everybody else isnt verballing already. Well Im sure thats all worked out, and when the day comes they will verbal. Why do I think that? Because Geno isnt looking for anybody else and hasnt stopped recruiting them

I remember reading about Breanna and posts from fans worried about her coming to UCOnn. Let me say this. I heard there was never any other team. I also heard that about Diamond. I even read it on a thread on the orange board that she is a strong UConn lean, and no I dont remember the thread. Just remember we're loaded again and this years class just may be the greatest in UConn history. We are silly talented, we are silly skilled and we have to stay healthly and no one will touch us.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
MSF - am always fascinated with how people view and process things so differently. Guess it's a fundamental part of what we call human nature (and involves the whole academic field of "perception") I remain in the minority - probably a minority of about ONE at this point - with regard to Hartley. Don't see her at all as "quntessential UCONN." Of course I see her talents and her contributions.....but I continue to see her being too much to the "me" side of things vs. the team side. ......driving into very heavy traffic instead of getting rid of the ball (hurt us badly at the end of the season), for example. I'm sure I'm still influenced to some extent by that video clip we had on here a few years ago of her "warming up" for one of her high school games......while parading around the court and sidelines on her cell phone as the other kids were running drills, wearing different gear than her teammates, etc.....behaviors Geno suppposedly does NOT cotton to. But I have tried to keep an open mnd and certainly want to see her excel, without question.

I think its more than SOME... she's 3yrs removed from that. Dont hold that again her forever, you wouldn't want folks to define you by what you did as a 17yr old.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Seriously? You think she is more "me" than a team player? You are bringin up HS behavior that you saw on a video clip?

I would bet that Geno and her teammates would say you are way off. If she was like that, she wouldn't average 30 minutes a game. Geno would be sitting her.
oooops... got right on his comment before reading any further ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No one questioned whether Nneka made a great choice going to Stanford academically. Every one would agree with that, however, that doesn't mean she wouldn't have gained what dtbtbtb suggests in terms of basketball.

Reaction Score
Any kid who comes to UConn has a better chance of being developed then anyplace else, imo. Its not only the coaching its the environment. The enviornment of players and former players who are all on the same page. Its the fan base, the media, and yes the Boneyard. The reason Geno wins and continues to have his team, perform at the highest level is because of who surrounds them with. Team members and former players. Im sure high school players know exactly what theyre in for when they come to UConn. Some will, some wont, so what. You cant have everybody and not everybody wants UConn and thats fine. I dont care how good you are, if you not willing to make a total commitment, your not going to make it to your highest level, no matter what you do in life. How much better would Neka, Griner and Glory Johnson be if they came to UConn? Well imo you cant really say. Because we dont know if they would be willing to make the commitment that is expected at UConn.

As far as some of the posts about Bria, Tina, Maya and Saniya. I do know they all wanted to come and in Saniyas case she wants to play for UConn. Tina told Geno I want to play for you. Understand in NY AAU Girls BB, UConn is viewed as the NY Yankees of WCBB. The dads and coaches in NY and NYC know who is good enough to play for UConn. Those same people also know who they dont want their kids to play for. Yes Bria and Maya and Tina all wanted to be Huskies. There werent any other considerations. Breanna wanted to be a Husky since approx 8th grade. Its alot more fun to make alot of money doing something you love to do like play BB professionally then to have a J.O.B. (Just Over Broke) LOL .

I heard that when Geno offers Saniya will verbal. As far as why everybody else isnt verballing already. Well Im sure thats all worked out, and when the day comes they will verbal. Why do I think that? Because Geno isnt looking for anybody else and hasnt stopped recruiting them

I remember reading about Breanna and posts from fans worried about her coming to UCOnn. Let me say this. I heard there was never any other team. I also heard that about Diamond. I even read it on a thread on the orange board that she is a strong UConn lean, and no I dont remember the thread. Just remember we're loaded again and this years class just may be the greatest in UConn history. We are silly talented, we are silly skilled and we have to stay healthly and no one will touch us.

Thanks Tony! Every time I start to get a little worried about UCONN'S 2013 recruits a post like yours makes me feel better about our chances of landing some quality players like Diamond and Saniya in the 2013 class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom