UConn Recruiting Speculation 6 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe Strong is coming to UConn and waiting to see how things unfold over the next few months. I also believe that UConns interest in the JUCO player is because UConn doesnt know how effective and inexperienced their post players coming back from injuries will be. We have read Geno's comments regarding our freshman this season. Will that be the case next season with our freshman class coming in and those coming off injury. We dont know if those coming back from injury will need time to heal and get up to speed. Again I believe Strong comes and she will need starter minutes. That means UConn will have 2 HS number 1's in Paige Azzi and Sara.

This season we see we need more shooters and scorers and have become very dependent on Paige and Aaliyah to carry the team. Next season our 5 coming off injury may not be able to go 25+ minutes a game. We dont know how effective they will be coming off injury and how long it will take them to become effective.

Going into next season we need more scorers/shooters. Azzi Caroline Shade Cheli and Zeibel imo are on the top of the list of those who can put up points, along with Strong. Strong is the number 1 HS player and a really really good big who can score inside and out. She is what UConn needs. Frankly she is what every teams needs.
excuse my ignorance but what does JUCO stand for and who is that 6’6” player UConn supposedly has interest in?

Reaction Score
Rainey Welson of Hortonville - she played beautifully against Allie Ziebell and Neenah although it was a loosing effort. POI? Any news? And Allie played just a wonderful game,

Reaction Score
Sorry I did not know that she committed to Maryland. Anyway she is a real ballplayer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jordan Obi, of Hartford CT, will be graduating from Penn this year. Her coach says she’ll enter the transfer portal. She is an All-Ivy league player, a 6-1 forward that averages:

14.7 points on 44.2% FG, 38.0% from three
7.9 reb, 2nd in the Ivy League
82.4% Free throws
1.3 blocks and 1.0 steals per game

Hmm, a Connecticut native…

2A81E611-BCA5-4E7D-ADB7-B86BEFEC95DD.jpeg

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Jordan Obi, of Hartford CT, will be graduating from Penn this year. Her coach says she’ll enter the transfer portal. She is an All-Ivy league player, a 6-1 forward that averages:

7.9 reb, 4th in the Ivy League
82.4% Free throws

That would be fine if we needed 6'1" guards, but that height won't cut it. How is she going to help us? Answer, not at all.

Reaction Score
That would be fine if we needed 6'1" guards, but that height won't cut it. How is she going to help us? Answer, not at all.

She’s a Forward, might be more of a Small Forward/Stretch Four (like Aubrey). With Aubrey out for the first-half of the season at least, I don’t see why she can’t be a viable option. If the option is open, I’d look into her!

Reaction Score
There has been so chit chat about Princeton's Kaitlyn Chen. One internet savant takes a look:

His take on it seems to miss the point. Lou came to UConn to improve her credentials for the W. If Kaitlyn comes it will be for the same reason. There’s only a few schools that can do that for you. USCw or UCLA may provide her some more D1 experience, but I doubt either one will improve her draft position. What he does have right is that Stanford is the other credible option.

Lou would not have been drafted so high a year earlier, or even perhaps at all. UConn is the best W preparation, as several W coaches have said before.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. Height is not a basketball fundamental. You win with fundamentals. We just saw last year a team with not much height and overall not really that great overall team athletcism take down a juggernaut team with enormous height and a ton of athletcism. Iowa got to the Finals.

There is no reason why UCONN should feel like it's "a post player or bust" if they are cofident the injured players are comign back in addiiton to what we just saw what Iowa did last year and UCONN will have overall quite a bit more talent than Iowa. Add if you get Chen it only adds to UCONN.

Chen would a prized-get if UCONN feels she can help.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. Height is not a basketball fundamental. You win with fundamentals. We just saw last year a team with not much height and overall not really that great overall team athletcism take down a juggernaut team with enormous height and a ton of athletcism. Iowa got to the Finals.

There is no reason why UCONN should feel like it's "a post player or bust" if they are cofident the injured players are comign back in addiiton to what we just saw what Iowa did last year and UCONN will have overall quite a bit more talent than Iowa. Add if you get Chen it only adds to UCONN.

Chen would a prized-get if UCONN feels she can help.
Agree with your take, except that I’d take Abby Hsu over Chen. Hsu will be the Ivy League POY this year, her 4th. She is a Big guard who set the Ivy League all time 3-pt shooting record. If Hsu ends up at UConn she will remind everyone of Lou Lopez-Senechal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with your take, except that I’d take Abby Hsu over Chen. Hsu will be the Ivy League POY this year, her 4th. She is a Big guard who set the Ivy League all time 3-pt shooting record. If Hsu ends up at UConn she will remind everyone of Lou Lopez-Senechal.
Okay. Is she/will she be in in the Portal?

Reaction Score
Curious if Sarah Strong was at the UNC game today. Would say a lot one way or the other.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score

7.9 reb, 2nd in the Ivy League
82.4% Free throws

View attachment 97183
Really need this to happen bc of the possible Star Wars references. "Help me Jordan Obi Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope."

Reaction Score
either one would be a good get but obviously, a big forward or post with strong rebounding/defensive skills would be an even better get

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Okay. Is she/will she be in in the Portal?
Hsu wants to play in the W. The Ivies don’t allow a 5th year of eligibility. Hsu might be a 2nd or 3rd round pick if she declares for the draft this year, or she can play a 5th year of college, like Lopez-Senechal, and enhance her pro prospects for next year.

I strongly suspect that Hsu will enter the portal once Columbia’s season is over, which may take some time as the Lions will either get a ticket to the Big Dance or the WNIT.

Reaction Score
Hsu wants to play in the W. The Ivies don’t allow a 5th year of eligibility. Hsu might be a 2nd or 3rd round pick if she declares for the draft this year, or she can play a 5th year of college, like Lopez-Senechal, and enhance her pro prospects for next year.

I strongly suspect that Hsu will enter the portal once Columbia’s season is over, which may take some time as the Lions will either get a ticket to the Big Dance or the WNIT.
After watching a littl bit of Hsu i agree she would be a better get than Chen. But either would be nice addition

Reaction Score
#35 in Blue...

A very remarkable highlight thread/clip! Abbey Hsu with a career high 35 to
beat Harvard in Cambridge! This clip makes the Hsu vs Chen possibility
very complexing! Who do you like?

Reaction Score
A very remarkable highlight thread/clip! Abbey Hsu with a career high 35 to
beat Harvard in Cambridge! This clip makes the Hsu vs Chen possibility
very complexing! Who do you like?
Two different players. Hsu better than Chen IMO. In last year game against Uconn Chen scored most of her points when Nika was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom