UConn Recruiting Speculation 6 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all due respect, I’m very puzzled at the number of posters who have promoted the acquisition of Princeton guard, Kaitlyn Chen from the portal. Obviously, she’s a good player, though I would not say a “great” one. I point this out because we already have nine guards mostly ranging from “generational to great, to very good, and it’s just hard for me to see why we would use a very scarce roster spot on another guard, unless her name was Hidalgo or Clark. Surely, we would want to bolster our frontcourt instead?

Reaction Score
Saylor Poffenbarger and her 10+ rebounds in the portal ....
Sophomore guard Saylor Poffenbarger has entered the transfer portal, according to The Next Hoops.
Poffenbarger transferred to Arkansas from UCONN in 2022. This past season, she started in 30 games and averaged 10.2 points per game and 11.2 rebounds per game.

==>Avg. 10.2 pts and 11.2 rebs and she is still thinking not enough?

Reaction Score
.I think it's assumed that Aaliyah is going pro after this season is over and I'll bet Geno knows that as does Ms. Strong.......I never felt "strongly" that Strong was UConn bound...........I'd say she's Duke's to lose at this point but would be beyond thrilled to be wrong..,......

Reaction Score
Maybe someone could explain why Strong would go to a school that not only has a very good player already at her position, plus at least one, maybe two good backups, but that also just received the commitment of the number two player in the country at the same position? I don’t get it!
Having said that, I doubt we’ll get her but “Que sera sera” if we do, great and if we don’t…. We’re still gonna be loaded for bear and either AE will come back or we will get someone good from the portal!
I wish I could see more tapes of Strong. On the one tape I saw, I felt her overall capabilities were meh. Not impressed at all.

Reaction Score
Sophomore guard Saylor Poffenbarger has entered the transfer portal, according to The Next Hoops.
Poffenbarger transferred to Arkansas from UCONN in 2022. This past season, she started in 30 games and averaged 10.2 points per game and 11.2 rebounds per game.

She’s the 2nd player to go into the portal from Arkansas.

Reaction Score

For someone who was thought to be a KLS type of big shooting guard, getting 11.2 reb/game is no slouch.... and in the SEC, not a mid major. Not that it would happen, but has a transfer ever transferred BACK to her original school?

I forget if she left on good terms or not.....

Reaction Score
Saylor Poffenbarger and her 10+ rebounds in the portal ....

I guess she (or her mother) didn't find Fayetteville to be intellectually/socially stimulating enough for her.........perhaps an Ivy League school might be more to her liking this time......
Not surprised. I watched a few Arkansas games and the team chemistry seemed to be lacking. Seems to be a case of the grass is greener….

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A34427D7-E006-4AB8-BB28-4318DECFED29.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’m sure Geno has long known what each of them intends to do. He can’t run a program in any other way. The only ambiguity concerns when it would be announced and whether they wanted him to break the ice. Paige clearly enjoyed making her announcement on Senior Day so he didn’t steal her fun.

Reaction Score
I wish I could see more tapes of Strong. On the one tape I saw, I felt her overall capabilities were meh. Not impressed at all.
Several years ago on the Old ESPN Board - we all had gotten word that we could watch Maya Moore in one of her h/s games. In that game she didn't play very well. After that, we got a 2nd chance in a 2nd game they showed Maya and her team vs quality ranked H/S Team from Delaware - St Elizabeth top tier A/A Rutgers recruit Khadijah Rushdan. Maya put on a show we couldn't believe.

So. try to watch more if you can. I did a quick look on YouTube - (I'm not clear on what to provide here on links), you can check out highlights - a matchup of #1 recruit Sarah vs #2 recruit Joyce Edwards going to South Carolina. Both players were terrific and Sarah's team won. Sarah got 31 points and 19 rebounds. Both teams had excellent records. Joyce had 27 points. In this game - the highlights you see shotting outside and scoring inside. This game was IN early January. You can google that as well.

I went looking for other info - she did score 30 vs North Carolina center recruit. And I wonder if you saw another game in which the opponent was completely outmatched. And all you saw Srah do was get offensive rebound baskets with none to really affect her. Maybe that game or similar you saw in which there realy wasn’t much as a fun highlight.

Reactions: GG
Reaction Score
IMO there is no "hype" in the opinion about Ms. Strong. Her strengths are many, her potential even greater!
I loved watching her in the FIBA 3X3 Women's Championship (a gold medal). It is available to you on
the internet if you care to watch!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
According to all the articles I’ve read UConn has been listed in all of Sarah’s lists. A few weeks ago it was SC LSU AND UCONN. Now it’s Duke. NC and UConn. I think it’s gonna be UConn and Sarah playing for Geno with Paige and Azzi well it doesn’t get much better than that.

Reaction Score
IMO there is no "hype" in the opinion about Ms. Strong. Her strengths are many, her potential even greater!
I loved watching her in the FIBA 3X3 Women's Championship (a gold medal). It is available to you on
the internet if you care to watch!
I think she's one of those players who physically doesn't look like a dominant athlete, yet she simply dominates in most aspects of the game...........my only question is whether her defensive abilities can catch up to the rest of her game at the next level...

Reaction Score
Several years ago on the Old ESPN Board - we all had gotten word that we could watch Maya Moore in one of her h/s games. In that game she didn't play very well. After that, we got a 2nd chance in a 2nd game they showed Maya and her team vs quality ranked H/S Team from Delaware - St Elizabeth top tier A/A Rutgers recruit Khadijah Rushdan. Maya put on a show we couldn't believe.

So. try to watch more if you can. I did a quick look on YouTube - (I'm not clear on what to provide here on links), you can check out highlights - a matchup of #1 recruit Sarah vs #2 recruit Joyce Edwards going to South Carolina. Both players were terrific and Sarah's team won. Sarah got 31 points and 19 rebounds. Both teams had excellent records. Joyce had 27 points. In this game - the highlights you see shotting outside and scoring inside. This game was IN early January. You can google that as well.

I went looking for other info - she did score 30 vs North Carolina center recruit. And I wonder if you saw another game in which the opponent was completely outmatched. And all you saw Srah do was get offensive rebound baskets with none to really affect her. Maybe that game or similar you saw in which there realy wasn’t much as a fun highlight.

Reaction Score

I’ve seen a few different highlights compilations from this game and it seems to have been a really good one. You can really see how great each of them is. And the interesting thing is how well each one plays D and rebounds. But neither one seems really capable of stopping the other one.

Edwards is a great post scorer and midrange shooter. She looks to be a bit more offensively skilled than Ashlynn Watkins. I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t steal a few minutes from Watkins Kitts and Feagins.

Strong is clearly the better outside shooter and a tremendous passer. We may wish that Sarah would mix it up in the low post. But this would be to ignore her perimeter skills, which are formidable. She reminds me of Katie Lou, who was big enough to drive the lane or fight for offensive rebounds in the paint… but you really want her on the perimeter in a motion offense.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen a few different highlights compilations from this game and it seems to have been a really good one. You can really see how great each of them is. And the interesting thing is how well each one plays D and rebounds. But neither one seems really capable of stopping the other one.

Edwards is a great post scorer and midrange shooter. She looks to be a bit more offensively skilled than Ashlynn Watkins. I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t steal a few minutes from Watkins Kitts and Feagins.

Strong is clearly the better outside shooter and a tremendous passer. We may wish that Sarah would mix it up in the low post. But this would be to ignore her perimeter skills, which are formidable. She reminds me of Katie Lou, who was big enough to drive the lane or fight for offensive rebounds in the paint… but you really want her on the perimeter in a motion offense.
It doesn't appear that they faced off one-on-one very much. (Watkins will be post next year. Edwards will steal from Kitts)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There was a lot of info on the Boneyard about Jordan Horston when she was a high school senior and how she was a sure-fire future AA. Well, UConn did not get her to commit but it did not hurt. She was a turnover waiting to happen and wound up being a little bit better than average. She had the talent but probably went to the wrong school. UConn got Aubrey Griffin instead and I am satisfied with that. I will wait to see how Sarah plays before I get excited about her coming to UConn. I want her to come to UConn and hope she lives up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom