UConn Recruiting Speculation 5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can a team have more than 15 active players if only 15 are on scholarship?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Strong's entire recruitment has been incredibly quiet. There isn't an official list of schools from her. And perhaps there's a reason for it, especially as both her parents were CBB athletes and know the grind of it all.

What if Strong isn't in a rush to make a decision before the end of her HS season? What if she's taking her time, and awaiting the April NLI period, along with who declares for WNBA, etc? What if she's already made the decision and wants to make sure she's as thorough as can be? Sooooo many what ifs that we'll never know, unless she shares them publicly.

I cannot remember the end of season details of Geno & staff and if Wilson was still being pursued, however it was clear that after the NCAAT that she wasn't coming to UConn. However, if Geno was at Strong's previous game this week means (to me) that there's still a reason to show up and watch. Whatever the reasons behind it? I'm not even trying to guess why.

Bottom line, perhaps we need to not obsess about the decision of a HS player that is going to do what she feels is the best for her. Would I like to see her at UConn? Absolutely. Are there too many things up in the air right now to even consider? Yup. I figure we have three regular season games left, then anywhere from 1-3 BET games, and 1-6 NCAAT games. I'm gonna focus on each game as it comes then let everything else happen as it may.
I'm not sure why Ms. Strong is holding off on making her recruiting decision, but I don't think a player with her exceptional skill set is particularly worried about what players are coming and going........she's going to play immediately either as a starter or an early sub off the bench and I don't get the sense that she's the kind of me first player that's expecting a coach's guarantee concerning the number of minutes she'll get.......if she chooses South Carolina she knows she's going to be rotated in and out...,..Dawn has done an extraordinary job of getting an entire bench full of talented players to buy into that concept without mass transfers......at UConn she also might start or be an early sub.......Geno makes no guarantees on minutes either........it's clear she's an outside-in player so I don't expect Dawn or Geno to push her inside which would negate a good portion of her skill set.........if she chooses UNC, she'll be more likely to start but for a team that's not quite as big on the national stage......I have no idea if that is a concern to her or not.......same would apply to NC State if they are still in the running......

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why Ms. Strong is holding off on making her recruiting decision, but I don't think a player with her exceptional skill set is particularly worried about what players are coming and going........she's going to play immediately either as a starter or an early sub off the bench and I don't get the sense that she's the kind of me first player that's expecting a coach's guarantee concerning the number of minutes she'll get.......if she chooses South Carolina she knows she's going to be rotated in and out...,..Dawn has done an extraordinary job of getting an entire bench full of talented players to buy into that concept without mass transfers......at UConn she also might start or be an early sub.......Geno makes no guarantees on minutes either........it's clear she's an outside-in player so I don't expect Dawn or Geno to push her inside which would negate a good portion of her skill set.........if she chooses UNC, she'll be more likely to start but for a team that's not quite as big on the national stage......I have no idea if that is a concern to her or not.......same would apply to NC State if they are still in the running......
In the age of 1000+ WCBB players entering the portal each year, waiting until the portal window closes to see where the chips fall is not a bad idea. Even just waiting until the portal fills up gives a recruit more information.

Wouldn't be surprised to see more top players waiting till the 'regular' signing period rather than committing in the 'early' window.

Reaction Score
Sarah and Ice remind me of each other in a way. They both don’t want to be in the paint much. However, I think Sarah is a little more skilled than Ice at this moment (maybe due to Ice coming off injury). If we get Sarah, I’d use her between the 3 through 5 position. Imagine Geno being able to play a big lineup with Sarah at the 3 ‍

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The CIF-SS Girls High School Basketball Championship Final is on tonight on UVerse channel BSSDHD and BSSCHD, Bally Sports. Channel numbers 1774 and 1776. If Mitty is playing, Morgan Cheli may also be playing. Time is 6:00 Pacific Time.

Reaction Score
Sarah and Ice remind me of each other in a way. They both don’t want to be in the paint much. However, I think Sarah is a little more skilled than Ice at this moment (maybe due to Ice coming off injury). If we get Sarah, I’d use her between the 3 through 5 position. Imagine Geno being able to play a big lineup with Sarah at the 3 ‍
Sarah is a little more skilled? She is way better!

Reaction Score
If the need is more at the 4, I prefer her there, but if she was paired with Aubrey, then despite the inch in height and more pounds, it would probably be best to have Sarah at the 3 and Aubrey at the 4. Clearly Aubrey has shown she can play both, as I presume Sarah could, but I believe Aubrey has been better upfront than on the wing, and Sarah looks to have significantly better perimeter shooting, handles and passing.

Reaction Score
This is a thread to discuss known players of interest and other potential recruits. This thread is different from the monthly recruiting thread in that thread drifts and posters discussing their hopes on who comes to UConn aren’t allowed there. While this thread has more latitude, it’s still about the recruits, how they might fit into the team, who you wish to see come, deeper discussion about their skill sets, recent performances etc.
  • No transfer talk EVER (see the rules tacked at the top of the board)
  • No discussion of who is staying/going
IO don't understand the ground rules here at all. but I feel it is a waste of time to speculate on what may or may not occur. Why not just wait until there is concrete news?

Reaction Score
Ever
I agree with him..........if she stays healthy and continues on her current path, she has the chance to be a generational talent, even better than Aliyah Boston............if there ever was a must-get recruit for UConn the Big "O" is it.......
Ever? Does that include when Stewie a recruit?

Reaction Score
you got me!! How about the most impactful must-get recruit at the post since Stefanie Dolson

ESPN ranked Dolson 39th. That isn't a "must get" ranking.

Anyway, "must get" means "do it or die". The NCAA topurnament is a series of "must win" games. If it's a must then failure to do it means the end, fini. And that doesn't happen in recruiting. The program moves on. If UConn doesn't sign Strong they will not end wbb at UConn. The best you could say for Strong is that like Bueckers she is a "high priority" recruiting target.

Reaction Score
If the need is more at the 4, I prefer her there, but if she was paired with Aubrey, then despite the inch in height and more pounds, it would probably be best to have Sarah at the 3 and Aubrey at the 4. Clearly Aubrey has shown she can play both, as I presume Sarah could, but I believe Aubrey has been better upfront than on the wing, and Sarah looks to have significantly better perimeter shooting, handles and passing.
In 15-16 UCONN had both Tuck and Stewie inside-and-out. With Sarah I expect her role to be similar to them- she is inside-out - with mostly perimeter facing the basket in a motion offense. Tuck and Stewie averaged about the same number of 3's per minute played.

If she plays with Aubrey -Offensively Aubrey is the inside player but depending on the team - Aubrey could be guarding 3's . So, who is the 4 or who is the 3? It depends on how you look at it. Aubrey is goign to set picks if need be as well in order to get the ball to Sarah. Sarah will set some as even Paige sets picks in a motion offense but mostly the picks if needed will be set by someone like Aubrey.

Reaction Score

Not sure this account is always super reliable, but I take this post to indicate some breaking news about Sarah Strong soon. Could be nothing, but idk maybe she decided to commit to UConn after Geno came to her game this past week? Fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom