UConn recruiting DeMarr Langford for 2019 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn recruiting DeMarr Langford for 2019

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This board is remarkable.

We're under .500 over the past three years and have a roster that would have to buy a ticket if it ever wanted to see an NCAA tournament game. We just got rid of a coach who wouldn’t drive to see a kid in Connecticut if it fell on dollar oyster night. Or even if it didn't.

And now we're nitpicking a top-75 recruit. Don't do that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This board is remarkable.

We're under .500 over the past three years and have a roster that would have to buy a ticket if it ever wanted to see an NCAA tournament game. We just got rid of a coach who wouldn’t drive to see a kid in Connecticut if it fell on dollar oyster night. Or even if it didn't.

And now we're nitpicking a top-75 recruit. Don't do that.
But is he a big??????????

Reaction Score
I'm really in favor of getting Demarr, and after the latest article if someone could pull it up it sounds like he is ours to lose.

Bring him in, sit down Jalen, James, him, and Akok and tell them they're the key to this turnaround and I think with these guys talent and personalities we see it pay off.

Reading this, don't we have 3 open schollies next year if Diarra moves on? Add Akok to the list and have 2 minimum correct?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm really in favor of getting Demarr, and after the latest article if someone could pull it up it sounds like he is ours to lose.

Bring him in, sit down Jalen, James, him, and Akok and tell them they're the key to this turnaround and I think with these guys talent and personalities we see it pay off.

View attachment 42973
Reading this, don't we have 3 open schollies next year if Diarra moves on? Add Akok to the list and have 2 minimum correct?
We only have 12 scholarships for this year unfortunately.

Reaction Score

View attachment 42973
We only have 12 scholarships next year due to us imposing the sanctions on ourselves. So we only have 1 open at the moment for next season (Akok takes up spot #11). We will have 13 scholarships for the 2020-2021 season though

Reaction Score
Honestly Langford might be a better rebounder than that 7’0 Center Rick Isanza

Reaction Score
Honestly Langford might be a better rebounder than that 7’0 Center Rick Isanza

Sure you're right in a sense. Langford is def the better rebounder per position but if you don't add a big and take Langford instead, he ain't boxing out the other team's 6'10 PF/C. Not saying you don't just take the best possible players right now, in order to turn things around, but I'm saying its not as if that is a better choice to solve rebounding issues. Langford will be a very good guard rebounder but Isanza is competing against the likes of the big boys not Langford and we need bodies up front to even compete.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sure you're right in a sense. Langford is def the better rebounder per position but if you don't add a big and take Langford instead, he ain't boxing out the other team's 6'10 PF/C. Not saying you don't just take the best possible players right now, in order to turn things around, but I'm saying its not as if that is a better choice to solve rebounding issues. Langford will be a very good guard rebounder but Isanza is competing against the likes of the big boys not Langford and we need bodies up front to even compete.

At this point, we don't know what we don't know. We don't know if Diarra is coming back or is healthy. We don't know what Hurley thinks of Whaley. And what Sal thinks of Whaley. He's potentially a key player. He's a leaper and strong rebounder and shot blocker. He lacks bulk to hold his position. If Sal can bulk him up, he's a serviceable back up 5.

Hurley also knows whether Al plans to return for his last year of eligibility.

I'm going to trust that he know what he needs better than we do.

Reaction Score
At this point, we don't know what we don't know. We don't know if Diarra is coming back or is healthy. We don't know what Hurley thinks of Whaley. And what Sal thinks of Whaley. He's potentially a key player. He's a leaper and strong rebounder and shot blocker. He lacks bulk to hold his position. If Sal can bulk him up, he's a serviceable back up 5.

Hurley also knows whether Al plans to return for his last year of eligibility.

I'm going to trust that he know what he needs better than we do.

Fully aware that DH knows the inside scoop and is going to recruit to the team's needs. I didn't make an opinion on who should be recruited over who necessarily. I just made a point that the OP's statement is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if Langford is a better rebounder he is not boxing out a 6'10 guy. But despite that I think we should probably take Langford he is top level D1 talent. We aren't going to win big next year anyways. Might as well set ourselves up for 2020. Don't hold your breath on Diarra or Whaley btw. Whaley is a mid to lower MAAC level bench player right now. He'd need to make astonishingly unprecedented gains to be worthy enough to compete for time on a winning AAC team. We used him out of dire necessity the last two years not because we wanted to. He has zero offense and is scrawny as can possibly be for a D1 player and he doesn't even have the body type to add bulk. He isn't even a great rebounder he just jumps high and gets some boards (mainly in blowouts against 2nd teamers or off of his own blocks) because of those hops. He does have good to above average instincts on defense but that's about it. And I don't even know how to comment on Diarra. I couldn't even tell you what he is at his best because he might as well have three redshirts on right now, so if you or Hurley are banking on that then it's going to be a long year. Rim protector/Big Rebounder is a must if we want to compete next year. I think Carlton can be a force on the D boards but he is not a jumper, can't protect the rim, and plays to many minutes to really but going after oboards all game with his size and conditioning, let alone foul proneness.

Reaction Score
Fully aware that Dan Hurley knows the inside scoop and is going to recruit to the team's needs. I didn't make an opinion on who should be recruited over who necessarily. I just made a point that the OP's statement is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if Langford is a better rebounder he is not boxing out a 6'10 guy. But despite that I think we should probably take Langford he is top level D1 talent. We aren't going to win big next year anyways. Might as well set ourselves up for 2020. Don't hold your breath on Diarra or Whaley btw. Whaley is a mid to lower MAAC level bench player right now. He'd need to make astonishingly unprecedented gains to be worthy enough to compete for time on a winning AAC team. We used him out of dire necessity the last two years not because we wanted to. He has zero offense and is scrawny as can possibly be for a D1 player and he doesn't even have the body type to add bulk. He isn't even a great rebounder he just jumps high and gets some boards (mainly in blowouts against 2nd teamers or off of his own blocks) because of those hops. He does have good to above average instincts on defense but that's about it. And I don't even know how to comment on Diarra. I couldn't even tell you what he is at his best because he might as well have three redshirts on right now, so if you or Hurley are banking on that then it's going to be a long year. Rim protector/Big Rebounder is a must if we want to compete next year. I think Carlton can be a force on the D boards but he is not a jumper, can't protect the rim, and plays to many minutes to really but going after oboards all game with his size and conditioning, let alone foul proneness.
Agreed. Getting a center would fill a positional need but long term Langford is the better investment, this program needs talent more than a backup center at this point

pj

Reaction Score
Agreed. Getting a center would fill a positional need but long term Langford is the better investment, this program needs talent more than a backup center at this point

The program needs a backup center. Yes, we need talent at guard, but we can do at least well as Langford. There's no point in stockpiling 6+ guards, only 2-3 can play at a time, so there's only room for one more guard. We need a rim protector to provide an alternative look to Carlton, not just any center. 7'1" with long arms, good timing, and some athleticism is perfect.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Fully aware that Dan Hurley knows the inside scoop and is going to recruit to the team's needs. I didn't make an opinion on who should be recruited over who necessarily. I just made a point that the OP's statement is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if Langford is a better rebounder he is not boxing out a 6'10 guy. But despite that I think we should probably take Langford he is top level D1 talent. We aren't going to win big next year anyways. Might as well set ourselves up for 2020. Don't hold your breath on Diarra or Whaley btw. Whaley is a mid to lower MAAC level bench player right now. He'd need to make astonishingly unprecedented gains to be worthy enough to compete for time on a winning AAC team. We used him out of dire necessity the last two years not because we wanted to. He has zero offense and is scrawny as can possibly be for a D1 player and he doesn't even have the body type to add bulk. He isn't even a great rebounder he just jumps high and gets some boards (mainly in blowouts against 2nd teamers or off of his own blocks) because of those hops. He does have good to above average instincts on defense but that's about it. And I don't even know how to comment on Diarra. I couldn't even tell you what he is at his best because he might as well have three redshirts on right now, so if you or Hurley are banking on that then it's going to be a long year. Rim protector/Big Rebounder is a must if we want to compete next year. I think Carlton can be a force on the D boards but he is not a jumper, can't protect the rim, and plays to many minutes to really but going after oboards all game with his size and conditioning, let alone foul proneness.

Whaley would probably win DPoY In the MAAC...

(Mods, I am NOT speculating on a transfer, this is a talent level comment)

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
He has zero offense and is scrawny as can possibly be for a D1 player and he doesn't even have the body type to add bulk.
He put on 20 pounds coming into last season so, false.

Reaction Score

Is that what you read? How naive of you. Don't always believe what you read. Believe what your eyes tell you. So, nice try.

Reaction Score
Is that what you read? How naive of you. Don't always believe what you read. Believe what your eyes tell you. So, nice try.

He is about as weak as they come. Whether he put on any weight or not. You go back and watch the games DVR style and just watch him getting pushed around.....Or his infamous grab a rebound and fall to the ground because he is not strong enough to stand upright with a ball in his hands while getting partially bumped.

Reaction Score
Whaley would probably win DPoY In the MAAC...

(Mods, I am NOT speculating on a transfer, this is a talent level comment)

Agree to completely disagree........obviously..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom