UConn @ Quinnipiac (Tuesday 10/16/18 @ 7:00p) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Quinnipiac (Tuesday 10/16/18 @ 7:00p)

Reaction Score
There was a decent amount of blood on the ice.

It did seem like a clean hit, but didn't play out as one.

We play very undisciplined. Teach the kids discipline, Mike.

Reaction Score
He saw the hit coming. He was hit by a bigger player.

Reaction Score

Yeah, now that I see the video. I missed how it happened. I just saw the contact live. Man, he’s 5’7” 165 lbs freshman and the QU player was 6’1” 191 pounds junior.

They were moving too.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. The first point of contact made by the attacking player was the head - game over right there. Doesn't matter if one guy is bigger than the other, the rules state the responsibility is on the attacking player to make the first contact not on the head. The height of either player is irrelevant to the rule. That's a dirty hit, it was textbook charging in addition to contact to the head roughing. Hopefully QU/ECAC respond accordingly and suspend the player for a game or two. Really hope the UConn kid is OK, he looked in really bad shape.

Reaction Score
Watch the stick - catches him in the jaw. No more elevating quinniebog or whatever the it's name is. They need to be savaged. We need a couple mercenary bruisers. We need a couple of decent skaters, with stone hands and harder shoulders that will make our opponents wish their mommies never met their daddys. Remember Poe? He had pedestrian skill, but a big, tough kid who was fast enough to give a low life on the ice pause. Step 1 Cav - dominate and intimidate in state. So Cav - that is your one in state loss allowed. Go take down Yale and SH. Sorry about the kid, but he needs protection. You have enough little guys - go get a big mean, SOB. Get your opponents looking over their shoulders when they skate into the corners.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. The first point of contact made by the attacking player was the head - game over right there. Doesn't matter if one guy is bigger than the other, the rules state the responsibility is on the attacking player to make the first contact not on the head. The height of either player is irrelevant to the rule. That's a dirty hit, it was textbook charging in addition to contact to the head roughing. Hopefully QU/ECAC respond accordingly and suspend the player for a game or two. Really hope the UConn kid is OK, he looked in really bad shape.

Cheap hit - stick up in cross checking position. Uconn a needed a thug to chase the offender down make him and his whole family pay...

Reaction Score
Cheap hit - stick up in cross checking position. Uconn a needed a thug to chase the offender down make him and his whole family pay...
The guy was given a game misconduct so that would've been difficult. Also the NCAA doesn't put up with "make it right" retaliation plays. Anyone doing that would risk a multi-game suspension.

Reaction Score
The guy was given a game misconduct so that would've been difficult. Also the NCAA doesn't put up with "make it right" retaliation plays. Anyone doing that would risk a multi-game suspension.

There are ways to get it done. What will be important is how the ECAC will react. But, one way or the other the cheap shot artist must pay...

Reaction Score
The reason Quinnipiac nearly decapitated one of our players is because they knew they could and we wouldn't do a damn thing about it. They have bullied us every time we have played them. They knew we wouldn't beat them because it hasn't come close to happening yet. Our own coach admits above in the video, he didn't prepare his team properly for what they were facing. The consequences for that were pretty severe.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong, but it looked like he was unconscious for a few minutes.

Reaction Score
The reason Quinnipiac nearly decapitated one of our players is because they knew they could and we wouldn't do a damn thing about it. They have bullied us every time we have played them. They knew we wouldn't beat them because it hasn't come close to happening yet. Our own coach admits above in the video, he didn't prepare his team properly for what they were facing. The consequences for that were pretty severe.

Completely on point. Quinnepiac, for years now, plays the type of hockey Don Cherry warns about when you take player enforcement out of the game. If you have an Oglethorpe in the lineup, this doesn’t happen.

Reaction Score

It stops when you do it to their best player. Not when one of their goons gets a misconduct. That's why you have a goon or two.

Reaction Score
The kid is a 2nd round NHL pick with elite skill who takes a chance by committing to a bottom half of the league team halfway across the world only to run into a Pecknold goon.

It was a disgusting scene to witness.

Reaction Score
There are ways to get it done. What will be important is how the ECAC will react. But, one way or the other the cheap shot artist must pay...

Talk about being over dramatic. It was an open ice hit. When you skate across the middle of the ice you better keep your head up. I'm a UConn fan, and I had no problem with the hit. Unfortunately, any hit in College hockey that makes a lot of noise or remotely looks bad is penalized. The goal is to take hitting out of the game all together. Just watch the NHL, the only hitting you will see now is accidental contact.

Reaction Score
It stops when you do it to their best player. Not when one of their goons gets a misconduct. That's why you have a goon or two.
You can, though unlike in the pros where the NHL looks the other way in certain cases, the NCAA takes retaliatory acts seriously.

That said, I don't know much about how Cav coaches his players in these spots so if he explicitly coaches them to play soft and not at least let the other team know you're pissed then that's a different story. Either way Pecknold has a reputation for promoting dirty play. Merrimack had a similar reputation for a while in the beginning of Dennehy's term there.

Reaction Score
Talk about being over dramatic. It was an open ice hit. When you skate across the middle of the ice you better keep your head up. I'm a UConn fan, and I had no problem with the hit. Unfortunately, any hit in College hockey that makes a lot of noise or remotely looks bad is penalized. The goal is to take hitting out of the game all together. Just watch the NHL, the only hitting you will see now is accidental contact.
You're right that he shouldn't skate across the middle of the ice with his head down. That said, the hit was not clean in any capacity. He took multiple strides to accelerate into the check and left his feet - that's charging. He raised his stick across the body of the UConn player - that's cross-checking. He also made first contact with the UConn player's head - that's contact to the head and the onus is on the attacker to not make contact with the head.

It's not a matter of playing soft, he could've easily made a clean body check there by not raising his stick, not accelerating and leaving his feet through the hit, and making first contact with the UConn player's shoulder or chest. He also blatantly disregarded the loose puck in front of him as he was going to make the check.

Reaction Score

My problem was that the stick was up. When you "open ice" someone keep the stick down - hit like P.K. Subban -
always clean, but effective. The stick "up" changes it for me.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
QU is the dirtiest team UConn plays against every year they play them. Lots of stick work, lots of late hits, lots of high hits, lots of behind the play muck. Next time we play them, I want Coach Cav to start our goon line and send a message. NCAA penalties be damned. Enough is enough. Time is long overdue for a well timed response.

Reaction Score
QU is the dirtiest team UConn plays against every year they play them. Lots of stick work, lots of late hits, lots of high hits, lots of behind the play muck. Next time we play them, I want Coach Cav to start our goon line and send a message. NCAA penalties be damned. Enough is enough. Time is long overdue for a well timed response.

Put out the non scholarship players. What could they possibly lose?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom