UConn - Providence post game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn - Providence post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand why so many BYers forget that Geno wants his post players to be able to score from outside. That way they can pull the opponent's post player away from the lane.
It's because they don't understand how a 4 out or 5 out motion offense works. They think these bigs are just floating around to wherever they want. Their specific position calls for them to go to specific spots to maintain spacing, set specific screens and picks, look for certain options depending on how the defense reacts etc. And you're right, they have to be able to hit the perimeter shots to force the defense to spread. Of course if they can't make shots there's a problem but Brady and Edwards are going and doing where and what Auriemma wants their position to do.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The pressure defense in the first quarter was the story line of the game for me. I was there at the game and it felt different than anything I have seen yet this season. Many times there was simply nowhere for Providence to go with the ball. Felt like 7 on 5.

Everyone was denying their player the ball and probably saying to herself that she was not going to be the weak link that gives them an out. UConn led 27-8 and we shot ok (10-21) but we missed a lot of very makeable shots, it could have easily been 37-8. In any event, the game was over at that point.

It reminded me of a game at Gampel against DePaul in December 2016 with Kia, Gabby, Napheesa et al where UConn drove Doug Bruno crazy and led 37-6 after one.

Amari`s body language was different last night, she was playing with a purpose. In the past she has seemed to me to be hesitant, even disengaged. But give credit where credit is due. Ice looked more at home out there as well.

Reaction Score
Everyone was denying their player the ball and probably saying to herself that she was not going to be the weak link that gives them an out. UConn led 27-8 and we shot ok (10-21) but we missed a lot of very makeable shots, it could have easily been 37-8. In any event, the game was over at that point.

It reminded me of a game at Gampel against DePaul in December 2016 with Kia, Gabby, Napheesa et al where UConn drove Doug Bruno crazy and led 37-6 after one.

Amari`s body language was different last night, she was playing with a purpose. In the past she has seemed to me to be hesitant, even disengaged. But give credit where credit is due. Ice looked more at home out there as well.
I wasn't at the game but made the same observations from home. The press was very different last night and I assume those are adjustments made without Aubrey. The girls looked gassed though 3/4 of the way through the first so they'll have to figure out the right conditioning if they want to do it again.

Reaction Score
If the Huskies had played a stronger team, Aaliyah would have had more minutes regardless of the fouls. Amari was doing enough that it wasn’t necessary to put Aaliyah back in
I was gonna say the same thing. Geno typically leaves Aaliyah in with foul trouble if necessary. I guess he trusts her to adjust her play in such situations.

Reaction Score
Solid defensive effort in the first quarter. I was impressed with Ines in that 4th quarter. Both Ice and Amari seem to be playing as opposed to be worried about making mistakes. I like how the freshman and the bench players are doing right now. Even though Q couldn't buy a bucket, she's active and getting better on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Happy about the minutes distribution. No one over 33, Paige at 27 and Aaliyah at 20. If we can keep the starters at 30 minutes are less for most of January I'd be very happy. February they need to start building stamina to play 35-40 minutes they'll need to play in March but keeping burn down in January would go a long way to keeping us fresh for March I think.

Still need to figure out the 2 quarter slump and rebounding issues.

Reaction Score
The pressure defense in the first quarter was the story line of the game for me. I was there at the game and it felt different than anything I have seen yet this season. Many times there was simply nowhere for Providence to go with the ball. Felt like 7 on 5.

Always good to hear an eyewitness account. As for Ice, that may have been her best all around game. She was very involved, made one really nice right-handed drive move, and played her role well. I think it is just a matter of experience and getting into game shape for her.

sun

Reaction Score
I liked that Ice made a couple of jump shots away from the basket which she hasn't made many of since Europe.
I also liked that Amari & Ice were allowed to play together close to the basket.
I think Geno has tipped his hand that down the road Amari & Edwards will eventually be able to play together against teams with superbigs to form a 3 person frontcourt rotation for UConn to help make up for Aubrey's absence.
Both Ice & Edwards will need rests especially during the BE Tourney when multiple games are played.
And maybe that will help Paige be more of a guard than a combo guard so she won't suffer as much punishment.

Reaction Score
I loved when Ice drove the lane. I much prefer when she shoots going to the rim as opposed to her fadeaway shot.

Reaction Score
I loved when Ice drove the lane. I much prefer when she shoots going to the rim as opposed to her fadeaway shot.
That was a strong move to her non-dominant side. She just has to work on the finish.

Reaction Score
Play of the game was Ines chasing down a breakaway opponent, and she didn't just push the ball out of bounds or block the shot, ala Maya vs. DePaul, she stole the ball and passed it back to a teammate. Maya just called a timeout, so Ines was even better. Well maybe not that good, but pretty darn good. I think she stepped up and showed she could give us 5+ minutes of relief for Muhl. Scariest (dumbest???) play of the game was Page chasing a ball out of bounds and then jumping over the chairs to land really hard putting stress on her knees. I was scared to death when she came up and seemed to be limping. Definitely a WTF was she thinking. She needs to protect herself at least a little. And protect me. My heart can't take that stuff.

Reaction Score
Do anyone remember the steal that INES had in last year's Marquette game when
she, again like last night, ran down the Marquette PG from behind, tipped the ball
ahead and grabbed the ball before it went over the end line.? Beautiful: speed and
dexterity. On the INES highlight tape from last year (just google: INES BETTENCOURT, Highlights)
you will see a shot of H. C. Meghan Duffy's chagrin at INES's Play ... just like last night against
the Friars! Go INES, speed and tenacity... it makes plays and helps win ballgames!
Thanks for the tip on the highlight reel, that is the run-down I was thinking of in my previous post. I just didn't know what game to reference in order to find it.
I think Inês is a bit of an untapped resource right now, maybe she'll get a bit more game time in conference play that will pay dividends going forward. Fingers crossed....

Reaction Score
Play of the game was Ines chasing down a breakaway opponent, and she didn't just push the ball out of bounds or block the shot, ala Maya vs. DePaul, she stole the ball and passed it back to a teammate. Maya just called a timeout, so Ines was even better. Well maybe not that good, but pretty darn good. I think she stepped up and showed she could give us 5+ minutes of relief for Muhl. Scariest (dumbest???) play of the game was Page chasing a ball out of bounds and then jumping over the chairs to land really hard putting stress on her knees. I was scared to death when she came up and seemed to be limping. Definitely a WTF was she thinking. She needs to protect herself at least a little. And protect me. My heart can't take that stuff.
I don't think she was limping at all. She just looked gassed at that point. Paige making plays like that shows me how much more confidence she has in her body right now.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I don't understand why so many BYers forget that Geno wants his post players to be able to score from outside. That way they can pull the opponent's post player away from the lane.
Yes, that is very true...but, primarily Geno wants his bigs to play in the paint and occasionally step out to the foul line extended, to draw their opponent out with them opening up the lane for our guards.

Stepping out for the foul line and shooting a jumper isn't necessarily the primary strategy. Amari needs to establish herself in the paint...something Amari has been reluctant to do. Once she becomes a force in the middle...both offensive and defensively...then Amari's ability to knock down the foul line extended jumper and her ability to be a facilitator like Dolson was will add another dimension to her post-play and give UConn other options in the half-court.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Nice post!

Reaction Score
Ice making progress. But she needs work with her right hand. It really shows in blown righty layups and shots from the paint.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ice making progress. But she needs work with her right hand. It really shows in blown righty layups and shots from the paint.

One thing I've noticed that Ice needs to improve: Court awareness, especially when she has her back to the basket. She has given up the ball or gotten tied up too often in those situations.

Reaction Score
They continue to win the games that they should win. Yes the blossoming of Last Second Arnold and Ashlynn continues, and Brady seems to be finding herself. But most of the reaction to defeating a team that they clearly outclassed seems to fall into the category of irrational exuberance.
LarryLegend- - -I always told my wrestlers they had to win vs the opponents they were definitely better than, then out gut the opponents they were even with and vs a superior opponent stay close, avoiding the big mistake and try to pull it out at the end!

Reaction Score

Huskee11- - -That DePaul game in 2016 was when I had my heart attack and wouldn't leave at 1/2 time and found out the next morning when I saw my Doctor and he rushed me to L&M Hospital!
Sometimes I'm too stubborn for my own good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom