UConn-Providence 12/17 Postponed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Providence 12/17 Postponed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn being a state school is the issue...Have to follow what State says unlike private schools I assume that have more leeway.

CT is being overly cautious maybe but can't blame them really, it's not a good situation right now.

A pause for CBB until Feb 1 is probably best idea for everyone. Take the time to come up with a game plan for 2 month conference schedule. Post season & NCAA tourney in April. I think any later than Feb 1 players with NBA plans may opt out.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Because this positive test came from someone who was positive, tested negative entering the Mohegan bubble and the entire time they were inside, and then finally tested positive after returning back to campus. Maybe it's a little extra cautious but I'd rather wait an extra day and avoid having to pause for another full quarantine after 2 days back
Mlb figured it out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The New Mexico schools moved to Arizona for the season, maybe UConn can be like a lot of businesses and young people and just move out of Connecticut.
No one who has authoritative control of the UConn basketball programs is willing to make a decision like that. UConn's default for any sport has been maximum forfeiture of time and playing.

Reaction Score
Either shut down the season or change this INSANE if one person (NOT EVEN A COACH OR PLAYER) tests positive than the entire program shuts down for 14 days.

Unsustainable.

Reaction Score
The New Mexico schools moved to Arizona for the season, maybe UConn can be like a lot of businesses and young people and just move out of Connecticut.
Was thinking the same thing...But no way they should have the bubble in Mohegan with CT health dept involved.

Reaction Score
First game back is now scheduled to be against Creighton - yikes - I’ll take a competitive loss in that one

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What's your basis for saying that?

Because there is no scientific basis for a 14 day quarantine. The CDC reduced the number and their reduced number is actually very conservative. There are studies that came out shortly before they made the change. The policies we implemented were all based on SARS, and it was very different. France has now dropped its period to 7 days, Germany 5 days. Based on the research 7 is probably the safe number.

“Even if you were to get the P.C.R. test right on the very first day that you could, by the time you get the results back, 90 percent of your shedding has been completed,” said Dr. Michael Mina, a virologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “This meta-analysis shows just how short your transmission window is.”

Should Isolation Periods Be Shorter for People With Covid-19? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Reaction Score
This is insanity, if they are sticking to this 14 day quarantine thing there's no way to complete a season. Either do real bubbles or pause the season and resume play March 1st.

The smartest thing you've ever said.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why are we quarantining 11 players and a full coaching staff that have all tested negative for 5 days now? What we're doing right now is bad for our players. This could really negatively affect Bouknight.
There's seniors on this team and others - not just Bouk
Bouk will make his money - he has to decide the upcoming draft or the next - not many on this team have that luxury
Tunnel Vision is weird

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Because there is no scientific basis for a 14 day quarantine. The CDC reduced the number and their reduced number is actually very conservative. There are studies that came out shortly before they made the change. The policies we implemented were all based on SARS, and it was very different. France has now dropped its period to 7 days, Germany 5 days. Based on the research 7 is probably the safe number.

“Even if you were to get the P.C.R. test right on the very first day that you could, by the time you get the results back, 90 percent of your shedding has been completed,” said Dr. Michael Mina, a virologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “This meta-analysis shows just how short your transmission window is.”

Should Isolation Periods Be Shorter for People With Covid-19? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
I agree with you on the timing based on the data, but that doesn't make the entire DOH of Connecticut morons. Please choose your words better.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with you on the timing based on the data, but that doesn't make the entire DOH of Connecticut morons. Please choose your words better.

If they are sticking with the 14 days in this situation, where we even have a negative test, then yes, that’s pretty moronic. Maybe it isn’t the whole department. But whoever made this call is a moron.

Reaction Score
UConn being a state school is the issue...Have to follow what State says unlike private schools I assume that have more leeway.
I'm fairly sure that private schools have to follow state law too

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
There's seniors on this team and others - not just Bouk
Bouk will make his money - he has to decide the upcoming draft or the next - not many on this team have that luxury
Tunnel Vision is weird
Seeing as how noone loses a year of eligibility this year, you're wrong.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Imagine letting bureaucrats run our lives. They're all so good at what they do. From DC, to states and cities to the NCAA. The epitome of perfection. Pure brilliance

Thank you sir, may I have another

Reaction Score
So if Monday is day 8, and the guys are practicing, still negative, it's impossible to play Providence on day 11 of negative tests. Thinking all the positives would be apparent by then. I like to go with the scientists but CT PH seems to be behind the curve here. Unless Providence had input.

Reaction Score

Gotta keep in mind the difference between isolation and quarantine. For people that have tested positive, the new CDC isolation is 10 days. The German and France periods are also for isolation. It's for infected people, Isolation is infected. But you do need to back date it to the day your symptoms onset, not from when you got your test results. As the article mentions, live shedding ends about 9 days after symptom onset.

But this is not the same as the quarantine period. For those who have had a close contact, you first need to wait for symptoms before starting that 10 day clock. 100% of people who had symptoms report them by day 14. That's where the scientific basis for 14 days came into play. This was a Wuhan COVID study (confirmed multiple times later), not on OG SARS. It's the quarantine period after a contact waiting to see if you get symptoms, not isolation period. Unfortunately a basketball team is one just one giant close contact.

Where the confusion comes in is that most people report symptoms around day 5 (median is day 4-5) and with those 10 days of isolation you coincidentally also end up at 14 days from contact. So you're advised to wait 14 days after contact to see if you get symptoms, and also most people in general are done shedding by 14 days after contact. Which is why it's a good number of days to use as a general public health advisory.

But yes, that 14 day quarantine window is conservative. 98% of people have developed symptoms by day 12. 90% by day 10. 75% by day 7, 50% by day 5. There is a public health number between days 5 and 12 from contact that would be more palatable while also preventing the majority of pre-symptomatic spread (which can be full blast 2 days before symptom onset). 14 days for quarantine is too conservative.

Correspondingly, false negative PCR tests are high until between days 5 and 8 for those who develop symptoms on day 5. But for those 50% who develop symptoms after day 5, the false negative rates are still extremely high until 1-3 days after symptom onset. So yes, it would be great to test people out of quarantine, but where do you set the threshold considering the accuracy of the tests? This is what just happened to UConn as the student athlete tested negative twice while it turns out they were infected until testing positive on what was likely the 3rd test later on day 6 or 7.

If 75% of people develop symptoms by day 7, that means by day 8 or 9 you should have a strong likelihood that a negative test will clear someone (or they've already developed symptoms). I would throw in a test before then as well for further confirmation. So my personal policy would be 2 negative tests for asymptomatic people both taken after day 7 from contact or totally asymptomatic through day 10 with no tests. And then the CDC recommended 10 days isolation from symptom onset for those with a positive case.

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I recall talk about just playing conference games. It's seems we can't even do that. Although Villanova has played 6 games.

Reaction Score
There is virtually no danger for anyone under 40 years old. Stick a mask on Hurley and they could coud be playing safely. Stop depriving the kids of opportunities because of the vulnerable population, keep the age groups separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom