UConn projected 2.6 wins, rated 124th in Brad Powers’ 2021 CFB Power Rankings and Preview | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn projected 2.6 wins, rated 124th in Brad Powers’ 2021 CFB Power Rankings and Preview

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We weren't as big, fast, or strong because our players weren't good enough. It's not complicated. The weight room can't work miracles.

How could the game experience not be a factor? Is that a serious premise? What's the best way to get better at a sport. Play or not play?
These are college kids- aged 17- 22. There is a huge difference playing an 17 or 18 year old vs a 21 and 22 year old. AND, they aren't 5 * recruits, so they aren't freaks of nature.

In football, there is a reason more kids are redshirted than not. It is all about the physical and mental side and the time needed to develop their bodies. Just look at the videos and before and after of each kid, they look different for the first time in years. They look like football players now. That is a big part of it- they are at least ready physically to play.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This the core of the issue, though.

there was no “in football” last year it was gains made “in weight lifting class”
So you don't think it's possible for UConn to be better in 2021 than they were in 2019 because they didn't play in 2020?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think it is extraordinarily unlikely
Do kids that redshirt play better than before the redshirt? If the answer is no- than you will be correct. Normally, kids who redshirt are better prepared to play. If this holds true and the whole team redshirted, then many people on this board will be eating crow.

Reaction Score
Do kids that redshirt play better than before the redshirt? If the answer is no- than you will be correct. Normally, kids who redshirt are better prepared to play. If this holds true and the whole team redshirted, then many people on this board will be eating crow.

by this logic, every bad team should just shut it down for a year.

Reaction Score
To Drew

1618432177140.png

Didn't even have to make a second post.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Shaky, I'm worried they could be worse. I don't think they will be, but I'm worried about it. Essentially UConn self-imposed the death penalty on themselves. There really isn't a good frame of reference for what they'll look like this year. I'll feel better (hopefully) after a game or two.
Except UConn was "allowed" to recruit, offer scholarships, and take part in team activities.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
This argument is really just impossibly stupid, even for Boneyard standards.
Here is why you...and guapo...and poly think it's stupid....you don't like Edsall. You aren't able to rationally discuss the possibility that an Edsall team can develop. I have already stated I am not a huge Edsall fan...but his past shows he can develop players and a team. Slowly... painfully slowly.

But....your unhappiness with the football program...or your unhappiness with the decision to not play this season, has made you not able to even have that the discussion. To you...Edsall was a bad hire and anything he says or does can't be viewed positively. Therefore anyone who thinks players getting older, bigger and faster might actually result in better results on the field, well they must be stupid.

And it's April on a football message board....what the hell you want us to talk about?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Here is why you...and guapo...and poly think it's stupid....you don't like Edsall. You aren't able to rationally discuss the possibility that an Edsall team can develop. I have already stated I am not a huge Edsall fan...but his past shows he can develop players and a team. Slowly... painfully slowly.

But....your unhappiness with the football program...or your unhappiness with the decision to not play this season, has made you not able to even have that the discussion. To you...Edsall was a bad hire and anything he says or does can't be viewed positively. Therefore anyone who thinks players getting older, bigger and faster might actually result in better results on the field, well they must be stupid.

And it's April on a football message board....what the hell you want us to talk about?

I was a big Edsall fan his first stint here, I was one of the few people that was happy we brought him back.

It should be painfully obvious to anyone that who's watched the program the last few years that he ain't it.

Reaction Score
The team will be better. We have a tough lineup of games late in the season and depth is the key to be able be competitive in November. 2019 ran the gamut with the changes at QB resulting in 2 freshman playing (one a redshirt) as well as having a talented but young receiver core. Our defense was young again and this no play season was a redshirt for them all. No one sat around waiting for 2021 they worked.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Except UConn was "allowed" to recruit, offer scholarships, and take part in team activities.
But no games. I get your point and you aren't wrong, but I fully expect us to look like a team that hasn't played in a year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The team will be better. We have a tough lineup of games late in the season and depth is the key to be able be competitive in November. 2019 ran the gamut with the changes at QB resulting in 2 freshman playing (one a redshirt) as well as having a talented but young receiver core. Our defense was young again and this no play season was a redshirt for them all. No one sat around waiting for 2021 they worked.

Know what other teams did? Worked and played 12 games.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Know what other teams did? Worked and played 12 games.
So what? That isn't the question. The vast majority of UConn fans on here supported the team not playing this year.

That is the past....the question now is will they be better in 2021 than 2019?

You don't think they will ...you and others think the possibility that UConn will be better this year is stupid. I disagree.

We will see in the fall...I hope you think you are wrong.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What in the last decade of watching UConn football gives you any indication that the upcoming season - coming off a 1 year hiatus - will be better besides the fact that the team lifted weights together.

Reaction Score
What in the last decade of watching UConn football gives you any indication that the upcoming season - coming off a 1 year hiatus - will be better besides the fact that the team lifted weights together.
I believe that most kids who play in 2021 were on the team in 2019 so will be 21 or so months older (big deal in growing into football bodies) which is part of the strength/speed/agility improvement along with the lifting.
Also, practice reps as a team and individually should help a lot (or the players/coaches aren't really trying to get better).
Game film and scheme understanding/reaction practice should also help.

Downside is that 2019 team was terrible so lot of improvement needed to just be moderately bad. Also, HCRE is a career losing coach for a reason.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
- Edsall hasn't been here the last ten years. Can't blame him for Diaco's recruits and results
- the team was not good in 2019....hard to believe they wont get better
  • less Diaco players...more Edsall players. Most of the players who transferred out went to FCS. That should give you an idea of who was on the 2019 team.
  • edsalls history of spotting and developing talent.

Hey...if the team is the same or regresses...then Edsall needs to go. I just don't think that will happen.

Reaction Score
I believe RE sacrificed seasons in hopes of developing a solid foundation this year. He played young players to develop and give experience. My belief is that he did not play the best players since they were short timers. He played players (his) that he felt had better future potential.

Reaction Score
I pointed it out before in this thread, but look at Edsall 1.0's first 5 years and compare it to Edsall 2.0's first 5 years. Factoring in level of competition between the Yankee Conference and AAC (which is light years better), Edsall is on an almost identical track. 4 wins minimum this year, 6 wins is obtainable, 7-8 wins are max.

Reaction Score
I believe RE sacrificed seasons in hopes of developing a solid foundation this year. He played young players to develop and give experience. My belief is that he did not play the best players since they were short timers. He played players (his) that he felt had better future potential.
I agree Bongo...I remember his press conference in 2017 when he talked about RVD and throwing him in there at 260 pounds. He’s gotten better each year and now at 300 and with 33 game starts he’s one of our best and most experienced players.
Jay Rose, Kevin Mensah ,Travis Jones.. all were thrown in there when not completely ready and it will pay off for us this season. Edsall had a plan and this year we should see it play out to our advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom