UConn projected 2.6 wins, rated 124th in Brad Powers’ 2021 CFB Power Rankings and Preview | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn projected 2.6 wins, rated 124th in Brad Powers’ 2021 CFB Power Rankings and Preview

Reaction Score
Since the program is an absolute ongoing disaster, we must live with the delusion that somehow we are getting better practicing against inanimate objects. What else can we do? Complaining doesn’t work. In Storrs you can have a historically bad defense, win 3 FBS games in 3 years, take a season off and get a contract extension. What a great job!

Reaction Score
Since the program is an absolute ongoing disaster, we must live with the delusion that somehow we are getting better practicing against inanimate objects. What else can we do? Complaining doesn’t work. In Storrs you can have a historically bad defense, win 3 FBS games in 3 years, take a season off and get a contract extension. What a great job!
Randy's first 5 years at UConn his first go around were 4-7, 3-8, 2-9, 6-6, 9-3. Half of which were against the Yankee conference which is significantly less in competition compared to even the AAC. Seems to me he is on a similar Track so anywhere from 4-6 wins should be about right.

And yes we all get it we lost a lot of games due to bad defense, but to be fair, Billy Crocker's defense was the best defense in the country at the FCS level the year prior to be hired by UConn. Problem was we didn't have the players/speed to play a 3-3-5 and it showed. Had Crocker shown any semblance of success or progress he would still be here. Spanos has a track record of greatly improving defenses from year to year, so the defense will be better this year.

Reaction Score
I’m honestly not sure that playing 4 or 5 games against on an almost pick up basis would be much help. And in fact player often do get better when redshirting. They get bigger and stronger. Especially younger guys. That’s why coaches generally redshirt most frosh. Even good ones if they can. So we will see how it plays out. And it isn’t as if we have an overwhelming schedule this year. So I am cautiously optimistic. If we can build a little momentum 4-6 wins seems at least plausible. Holy Cross, Yale, UMass, are all winnable. I mean really HC and Yale are pure speculation as to how good they will be. Army built a winning record against a pretty weak schedule with 9 home games. Wyoming, Purdue, MTSU, Vandy were all unspectacular at best. Houston struggled too. Not to say we will win any of those games, but they are not out of the realm of possibility. N

Reaction Score
I believe playing some games would have helped. The games didn’t really count anyways. Hard to gage improvement when they just played with themselves all year. Reckon they will be a more mature and hopefully confident team next year.

Reaction Score
I admire your optimism.

Yes redshirting players get stronger. But they are surrounded by players who have experience at game speed in recent history.

If Randy doesn’t beat Holy Cross, Yale and two FBS level teams then it is truly time for him to go.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So I disagree with this...I think they might be bigger strong faster but they aren't going to be better football players. They didn't play for a year. Watching film and Oklahoma drill can only help you get so much better.
I find it hard to believe that the team never scrimmaged, 11 on 11, at 100% through the lost year.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe that the team never scrimmaged, 11 on 11, at 100% through the lost year.
Do we know that they didn't? I honestly don't know...and as I have said before, I think it was a miss to not stream a scrimmage. Throw the fans a bone.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So I disagree with this...I think they might be bigger strong faster but they aren't going to be better football players. They didn't play for a year. Watching film and Oklahoma drill can only help you get so much better.
So how do you think this team will do versus 2019? Worse or the same? You obviously don't think they will be better.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No substitute for in game reps. We are deluding ourselves if we think otherwise. However, we might be a bit bigger and stronger which won’t hurt the cause.

It doesn't, but I think we are undervaluing the film room work. Assuming they guys put in the time productively, their understanding of what they are seeing during games should improve dramatically. That has been problem number 1 on defense (esp at DB/S) other than the lack of sideline speed.

Reaction Score
Do we know that they didn't? I honestly don't know...and as I have said before, I think it was a miss to not stream a scrimmage. Throw the fans a bone.

They must have but 11 on 11 is not the same thing. Not even close. Different speed, different pressure, high level of familiarity with the opposition.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I'd say we'd do the same. I have no reason to believe we'll be better.
I knew you wouldn't say better. Your posts sound like you would think worse since they didn't play last year.

Same is fair....I don't agree but it's fair. I still have confidence in edsalls player development to think they will be better. Time will tell.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We were beyond horrendous in 2018 and were better in 2019. We were more competitive in our losses( ECU, Houston).

Being bigger, stronger and faster and knowing the playbook better helps all involved. Having a more committed team is also important. The key is to have enough reps before Fresno. I think we will show giant leaps from Games 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. Ultimately, it is what we get a QB and out of the O line that will dictate how great a season we have. To those who are doubters, I get it- you want to see it first. To those of us who know how RE ticks, we have more faith.

Reaction Score
We were beyond horrendous in 2018 and were better in 2019. We were more competitive in our losses( ECU, Houston).

Being bigger, stronger and faster and knowing the playbook better helps all involved. Having a more committed team is also important. The key is to have enough reps before Fresno. I think we will show giant leaps from Games 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. Ultimately, it is what we get a QB and out of the O line that will dictate how great a season we have. To those who are doubters, I get it- you want to see it first. To those of us who know how RE ticks, we have more faith.
How does HCRE tick?

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
How does HCRE tick?
Slow burn on building a program - step by step building blocks without getting high end guys. Watch version 1 and see the similarities to version 2.

Reaction Score
Slow burn on building a program - step by step building blocks without getting high end guys. Watch version 1 and see the similarities to version 2.
He could have gone one of 2 ways. 1 was bring on a bunch of JUCOs and transfers and try to win right away. The other is try to rebuild from scratch. In hind sight maybe he should have taken the other route given the decision to downgrade the athletic program. But Edsall is Edsall and will build from the ground up with plans to get back to a solid program within 5 years.

Reaction Score
Kinda tough to toss your recruiting and building strategy when you're already waist deep on the 2020 class when being informed of going indie.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bigger, stronger, faster...just like every single team in college football.

Less in game experience than...every single team in college football besides New Mexico and Old Dominion.

Some of you guys are beyond delusional.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Bigger, stronger, faster...just like every single team in college football.

Less in game experience than...every single team in college football besides New Mexico and Old Dominion.

Some of you guys are beyond delusional.
Your first premise is wrong. We weren't as big, as fast or as strong as our opponents because we were playing kids who weren't ready physically for the games. I'll never forget Pierce DeVaughn as a freshman getting run over by a Syracuse running back on a goal line play because he wasn't strong enough. Our D lineman wasn't as strong as a running back!!

Now we have a team that is bigger, stronger and faster. Physically it puts us on better footing to compete and win.

Now the game experience piece, could be a factor or it won't. Don't know until we see it- but there are some experienced players out there that have been taken to the woodshed for at least 2 years. They have experience.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I knew you wouldn't say better. Your posts sound like you would think worse since they didn't play last year.

Same is fair....I don't agree but it's fair. I still have confidence in edsalls player development to think they will be better. Time will tell.
Shaky, I'm worried they could be worse. I don't think they will be, but I'm worried about it. Essentially UConn self-imposed the death penalty on themselves. There really isn't a good frame of reference for what they'll look like this year. I'll feel better (hopefully) after a game or two.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Your first premise is wrong. We weren't as big, as fast or as strong as our opponents because we were playing kids who weren't ready physically for the games. I'll never forget Pierce DeVaughn as a freshman getting run over by a Syracuse running back on a goal line play because he wasn't strong enough. Our D lineman wasn't as strong as a running back!!

Now we have a team that is bigger, stronger and faster. Physically it puts us on better footing to compete and win.

Now the game experience piece, could be a factor or it won't. Don't know until we see it- but there are some experienced players out there that have been taken to the woodshed for at least 2 years. They have experience.

We weren't as big, fast, or strong because our players weren't good enough. It's not complicated. The weight room can't work miracles.

How could the game experience not be a factor? Is that a serious premise? What's the best way to get better at a sport. Play or not play?

Reaction Score
We weren't as big, fast, or strong because our players weren't good enough. It's not complicated. The weight room can't work miracles.

How could the game experience not be a factor? Is that a serious premise? What's the best way to get better at a sport. Play or not play?
We were also a National Championship team last year which you seem to be ignoring.

Reaction Score
To me there is no question that we are getting better players at least some of whom will benefit from the “redshirt” year. I don’t know about the lack of game experience but again I’m not convinced that playing 3-4 games over the season would be that helpful. Last season was such a mess we might have been better off not playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom