UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled

Reaction Score
This whole virus may benefit our upcoming b-ball season if it is played at all. Let’s hope for a delayed start to the season, get Akok in there full strength, Martin becomes immediately eligible and we start running through the Big East like the Coronavirus through the US on our way to our 5th National Championship.

FIFY

Reaction Score
gtcam defending hydrochloroquine is not as crazy as this defense of “disinfectants”

1588113627654.jpeg

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
The school president should really be more careful before speaking. Basketball starts mid-fall. I’ve seen posts like “Uconn president says they’re cancelling fall sports” on other forums and social media. Why would anyone buy season tickets if this is the assumption? We still have a basketball scholarship to fill. There’s time left. If we’re still doing the home confinement thing mid-June then we can talk.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The school president should really be more careful before speaking. Basketball starts mid-fall. I’ve seen posts like “Uconn president says they’re cancelling fall sports” on other forums and social media. Why would anyone buy season tickets if this is the assumption? We still have a basketball scholarship to fill. There’s time left. If we’re still doing the home confinement thing mid-June then we can talk.

So public figures in positions of authority should take responsibility for saying vague and unclear things in front of the media? Interesting.

Reaction Score
I didn’t know that.
I think it's new, only noticed it a few months ago when I took the few people on there off ignore and still couldn't see posts

Reaction Score

Bingo. The UConn president shouldn’t have given his thoughts on such a significant matter when we don’t even know what things will like look next week. Never mind 6 months from now.

C

Chief00

Chief knows how to analyze data of all kinds. Bottom-line, all age groups 20-70 get COVID-19 at about the same rate. If you are under 60 it’s typically less severe than most flu’s. Over age 80 it’s a killer and you need to be careful in the 60-79 range. It should have zero impact on 18 -23 year old kids playing any game. CT Number of Deaths:
04C51F90-E781-4F7E-A127-E8F24E6A8508.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Chief knows how to analyze data of all kinds. Bottom-line, all age groups 20-70 get COVID-19 at about the same rate. If you are under 60 it’s typically less severe than most flu’s. Over age 80 it’s a killer and you need to be careful in the 60-79 range. It should have zero impact on 18 -23 year old kids playing any game. CT Number of Deaths:
View attachment 53654

This is what I think we’ll move to. I think the economy will reopen but those above 60 or those with autoimmune disorders and anyone making regular contact with them will be strongly encouraged to isolate. Those below 60 without a compromised immune system are at very low risk of death, it’s more who they could spread it to.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
View attachment 53654
Looks like a frowny face usage graph circa Dec 2019.

Reaction Score
OU announced that they intend to open the campus for the fall semester, but they will keep an eye on things and maybe change that later.

not sure which approach is better?

Reaction Score
OU announced that they intend to open the campus for the fall semester, but they will keep an eye on things and maybe change that later.

not sure which approach is better?

I don't think this is a bad approach. Plan to open and if nothing improves by then or things get worse, cancel it.

Reaction Score
Random thought that popped in my mind:

Once fans are allowed to attend games, I can see it being much easier in larger places that don't typically draw anywhere near capacity.

For example, the Yale Bowl should no problem. Most games are at like 1/8th capacity, there's plenty of room to walk around and find space...even the bathrooms and vendors are outside the arena. Minor league baseball stadiums too.

Reaction Score
Random thought that popped in my mind:

Once fans are allowed to attend games, I can see it being much easier in larger places that don't typically draw anywhere near capacity.

For example, the Yale Bowl should no problem. Most games are at like 1/8th capacity, there's plenty of room to walk around and find space...even the bathrooms and vendors are outside the arena. Minor league baseball stadiums too.

So AAC games should allow fans to attend regardless of the situation. You can easily keep 6 feet between fans in those basketball arenas.

Reaction Score
So AAC games should allow fans to attend regardless of the situation. You can easily keep 6 feet between fans in those basketball arenas.
Hah.

But seriously, you're right. I go to a few Sacred Heart games a year and spacing is rarely an issue. However, Fairfield and Iona games are much more tightly packed, so those schools might have to take a conservative approach to crowd control. Likewise, for UConn games, XL Center will be a lot easier to control than Gampel.

I read an article the other day that KBO games will be at 20% capacity when they first let in fans.

Reaction Score
Widespread testing for coronavirus will be crucial to having college sports in the fall — especially contact sports such as football and basketball, the NCAA’s chief medical officer said Friday.

Dr. Brian Hainline expressed cautious optimism that college sports could be played during the fall semester as long as leaders take a methodical approach.

“It's not going to be risk-free, that's for sure,” Hainline said in an interview with The Associated Press. “If this is rolled out in stages and reasonably, we're really paying attention to proper surveillance and we get the tests available, I think we can have fall sports. My concern is if we just rush into this too quickly because of this almost sense of desperation, that we just have to get going.”

C

Chief00

Widespread testing for coronavirus will be crucial to having college sports in the fall — especially contact sports such as football and basketball, the NCAA’s chief medical officer said Friday.

Dr. Brian Hainline expressed cautious optimism that college sports could be played during the fall semester as long as leaders take a methodical approach.

“It's not going to be risk-free, that's for sure,” Hainline said in an interview with The Associated Press. “If this is rolled out in stages and reasonably, we're really paying attention to proper surveillance and we get the tests available, I think we can have fall sports. My concern is if we just rush into this too quickly because of this almost sense of desperation, that we just have to get going.”

This much needed widespread testing narrative with college kids like homemade masks is visible and sounds good so it gives many a false sense of security, but logically it’s nonsense. The asymptomatic young people would only test positive for 4-7 days and are not as highly contagious as someone with a fever. So if someone tests negative - do you test them every seven days to see if they catch it the following week? It’s not practical especially for a group in which almost no one dies. I remember Gov Cuomo lectured the spring break college kids for the March spike in NY. Turns out that was nonsense and it was the 2 million people who had traveled back and forth from Europe per genome testing of virus mutations.

Reaction Score
But Chief it seems that 18-23 ish people can in fact get the virus and they can absolutely pass it on to others. So that means you need to keep them in quarantine or at least away from parents grandparents and older faculty (?). and such. And that raises the question of what the purpose of the whole enterprise is does it not?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom