UCONN possibly landing Batouly Camara? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN possibly landing Batouly Camara?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
13 kids on the roster. So does he bring in a Walker? a Jade Williams? That would total fifteen players on the roster. The following year there would be eleven on the roster. So would there be room for three or four recruits from the 2018 class? It would be quite unusual for an Auriemma UConn team to have a roster with so many players.

UConn apparently isn't recruiting Jade Williams anymore. I'm gonna guess they would take Walker, maybe Mikayla Coombs, but certainly Walker. It's going to be a logjam regardless. And I wouldn't look for 4 players in 2018. Three max.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
13 kids on the roster. So does he bring in a Walker? a Jade Williams? That would total fifteen players on the roster. The following year there would be eleven on the roster. So would there be room for three or four recruits from the 2018 class? It would be quite unusual for an Auriemma UConn team to have a roster with so many players. He has stated in the past that it's impossible to keep a large number of HS AA's happy without major playing time for each. So what is coach's strategy? What is his thinking on this? We can say that times are changing, but this coach has never needed to change his approach to the game. If he is approaching recruiting differently in this new day and age, it will be fascinating to understand his new strategy.
The reality is that Uconn has lost to transfer on average one player every year and three years ago they put out a call for walk-ons to get to at least ten players for practices. The list of transfers in recent years: Banks, Boykin, Edwards, Engeln, Johnson, Walker - 6 since the 2010 freshman arrived. That is only a slightly higher rate than in the previous ten years, so to some degree you have to add that into the recruiting and team building plan. You can't just ignore that, and roster size is preference - recruiting and transfers (in and out) are very inexact science - if you find players that fit your profile and want to come, you kind of have to take them if you have roster spots, because the future is unpredictable. The 1998-2001 period was the last time Uconn was in the 14-15 roster size range and those years were pretty good, and that was primarily the result of a transfer (Big Rig) and a five player TASSK.

Reaction Score
The reality is that Uconn has lost to transfer on average one player every year and three years ago they put out a call for walk-ons to get to at least ten players for practices. The list of transfers in recent years: Banks, Boykin, Edwards, Engeln, Johnson, Walker - 6 since the 2010 freshman arrived. That is only a slightly higher rate than in the previous ten years, so to some degree you have to add that into the recruiting and team building plan. You can't just ignore that, and roster size is preference - recruiting and transfers (in and out) are very inexact science - if you find players that fit your profile and want to come, you kind of have to take them if you have roster spots, because the future is unpredictable. The 1998-2001 period was the last time Uconn was in the 14-15 roster size range and those years were pretty good, and that was primarily the result of a transfer (Big Rig) and a five player TASSK.

But Banks transferred because she realized that 1) she was not in Coach Geno's good graces (he gave her almost no playing time in the tournament), and 2) that with the incoming crop, she would likely see even less playing time the following year. Edwards left because she was being treated like a permanent benchwarmer. Walker, though her performance was promising, left for reasons that remain opaque. She had a strange attitude, and was left home once when the team went on the road. Engeln was relegated to the bench with virtually no chance of getting real playing time. Boykin? Not clear: she was injured, and was sinking into academic problems.

So it is rare for UConn to encounter defections by highly valued players whom they want to keep. Taking in transfers is even more rare.

Britney Hunter was welcomed after she was done wrong by Duke. She showed up on campus with a serious knee condition that permanently hampered her ability to play. But Coach Geno had recruited her, understood her situation, and welcomed her with open arms. There was a McCormick from New Zealand whom he wanted to transfer in, but who had injuries, and finally decided to go home to New Zealand. Otherwise, this is a pretty rare stretch of inward transfers.

Of course, the coach is brilliant, and he's certain to have a long-term strategy. Just look forward to listening to his thoughts.

Reaction Score
Of course, the one who doesn't count in these calculations (left after one day: maybe bedbugs in the dorms?) is a minor role player with the initials EDD.

Reaction Score
I wish I could be a fly on the wall of the coaching offices of The Muffet, Brenda Frese, JP McCallie, Dawn Staley, Kim Mulkey, & Jeff Walz! They work their butts off signing and bringing in top recruits with UCONN losing their Big 3 and then giddy as they schedule a so-called weakened Husky team and then have UCONN sign Azura Stevens and on the verge of signing Batouly Camara, both Bigs for 2017-2018! The reaction will melt the ears of a Southern Baptist preacher!
God, I love it! Jealousy oozing from their pores!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But Banks transferred because she realized that 1) she was not in Coach Geno's good graces (he gave her almost no playing time in the tournament), and 2) that with the incoming crop, she would likely see even less playing time the following year. Edwards left because she was being treated like a permanent benchwarmer. Walker, though her performance was promising, left for reasons that remain opaque. She had a strange attitude, and was left home once when the team went on the road. Engeln was relegated to the bench with virtually no chance of getting real playing time. Boykin? Not clear: she was injured, and was sinking into academic problems.
While I largely agree with your assessment of why the players possibly left, what makes you think that Banks was not in "Geno's good graces"? There's a difference between riding the pine due to being out of favor with the coach vs. being just too low on the depth chart...

Everything I read about her transfer indicated genuine fondness by both coach and player, but that Brianna wanted a fresh start closer to home and probably more PT.

Brianna showed great heart during her time with us, whether it was on the floor or during the rehab process,” Auriemma said. “I wish Brianna nothing but the best in the future.”

“I decided to transfer because I feel like I need a fresh start somewhere closer to home,” Banks said. “I really appreciate all that my teammates, coaches, and the university have done for me and I will miss everyone at UConn dearly
.”

Reaction Score
I decided to transfer because I feel like I need a fresh start somewhere closer to home,” Banks said

with all due respect to Banks does it make any difference if you are 700 miles from home instead of 1,000 miles. Sure, she needed a fresh start, but closer to home ?

Reaction Score
Only if Walker has informed them of other plans. They'd take her if she wants to come.
I agree, they'll definitely take Walker. And IMO, this expanded world of transfers makes it easier for Auriemma to take as many of his top targets as possible and let it set up a "survival of the fittest" scenario. After all, that's how it's been working the last 5-7 years anyway. He's just been doing it with less players to start with. If he can get 14-15 each year that he really likes to work with then it makes some attrition easier to cope with.

Reaction Score
I agree, they'll definitely take Walker. And IMO, this expanded world of transfers makes it easier for Auriemma to take as many of his top targets as possible and let it set up a "survival of the fittest" scenario. After all, that's how it's been working the last 5-7 years anyway. He's just been doing it with less players to start with. If he can get 14-15 each year that he really likes to work with then it makes some attrition easier to cope with.
In addition to Walker, Uconn would also take Coombs, who has an offer, and will be visiting Uconn later this year.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you're right here. But it may be that such an approach creates a greater amount of general uncertainty and lack of team cohesion. Team chemistry is a delicate thing that grows through mutual trust and support. That would be much, much harder to build in the scenario you describe. It's not about who has the most toys, but who uses them the most effectively.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

So it is rare for UConn to encounter defections by highly valued players whom they want to keep. Taking in transfers is even more rare.

Britney Hunter was welcomed after she was done wrong by Duke. She showed up on campus with a serious knee condition that permanently hampered her ability to play. But Coach Geno had recruited her, understood her situation, and welcomed her with open arms. There was a McCormick from New Zealand whom he wanted to transfer in, but who had injuries, and finally decided to go home to New Zealand. Otherwise, this is a pretty rare stretch of inward transfers.

Of course, the coach is brilliant, and he's certain to have a long-term strategy. Just look forward to listening to his thoughts.
EDD, Boykin, and Walker were all likely starters at Uconn at some point during their careers, and Banks started her junior year strong, suffered an injury and had a hard time picking it up again - she would have seen significant time (likely getting a starting chance ahead of Nurse and perhaps ahead of Chong had she stayed. Edwards wasn't around long enough to determine what her development might have been. On the current roster, there are legitimate questions about how much time Ekmark will earn, and while I am very intrigued by both Bent and Irwin, based on ranking services they may well end up as great teammates but role players off the bench. I could easily see any of those three facing the same kinds of choices that Engeln and Johnson faced.

Transfers in (and I am sure I will miss some:
Rita Williams (3 years to replace Jen at PG - 1996 (Juco))
Cristina Rigby (2 years - post - 1998)
Brittany Hunter (3 years - post - 2004)
Rashidat Sadiq (2 years, stayed only one - post/forward - 2004 (Juco))
Jessica McCormack (3 years, stayed half of her red-shirt year - post - 2008)
Natalie Butler (3 years, current, post - 2014)
Azura Stevens (2 years, future, forward/post - 2016)
possible - Camara (3 years, future, forward/post - 2016)
A lot of post players on that list and with the exception of Christina all coming into teams that were a bit short on post players. And please not 2004 was a year that Uconn took in two transfers - one Juco and one D1.

Reaction Score
Only if Walker has informed them of other plans. They'd take her if she wants to come.

I was not suggesting that Geno wouldn't take additional players. I mean I would guess they are not coming.

Reaction Score
while I am very intrigued by both Bent and Irwin, based on ranking services they may well end up as great teammates but role players off the bench. I could easily see any of those three facing the same kinds of choices that Engeln and Johnson faced.
The transfer(s) would seem to impact Irwin rather than Bent, and Irwin has next year to establish herself somewhat. As well, she's a coach's kid (actually both parents, I think), and I bet she's got a pretty good sense of what she wants to take out of a UConn career, however many starting minutes she gets.

Reaction Score
Of course, the one who doesn't count in these calculations (left after one day: maybe bedbugs in the dorms?) is a minor role player with the initials EDD.

She wasn't really a transfer. As Coach Geno pointed out, she was homesick. She missed her sister. She went back home to Delaware. So the transfers from Connecticut are a thing apart from the transfers from an imploding Kentucky or Duke.

Reaction Score
She would be a great pick up for Uconn. Stewie and Tuck can't be replaced but having a versatile 6'6 forward with guard skills and a 6'2 inside/Outside post could come pretty close.

I liked this high school evaluation on evaluation Camara

Batouly Camara

Reaction Score
I watched a bunch of KY games the 2nd 1/2 of the season and she really impressed me with her strength, toughness, rebounding skill and a nice offensive game for a freshman! With the UCONN coaching staff having a year to get her skills and mental outlook she'll be a load to handle in 2017-2018 with Azura Stevens, Natalie, Gabby, Collier, Irwin, the ceiling really is limitless for our Huskies! Geno never rests! Being that her choices out of HS were UCONN and KY she just took the path that was closest in her mind! WOW!

Katie Lou played the three. Moriah and Kia were the guards. If you're listing front court players, Lou needs to be added.

Reaction Score
Camara's twitter page is quite interesting...........she seems to be very much into philosophy and other heady topics......very refreshing compared to more typical content. Not sure if her letter regarding transfer has been seen on this site but here it is

Cg_SEwTVEAAXu0H.jpg

11 retweets35 likes

Reaction Score
Well, whether or not she ends up at UConn, it's clear Geno is changing tactics to fit the current model. It will in the long run mean more work for him, since he needs to get transfers into his system with fewer years of "pay off," but that is a new challenge that may keep him enthused for longer.

Reaction Score
WOW - another surprise for sure!

Considering Geno recruited her hard and UCONN seemed to be one of her top 2, her desire to transfer to UCONN is a very good thing.

Geno has always been ahead of the curve in basketball. Seems like he's at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom