UConn poaches Cincy Strength Coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn poaches Cincy Strength Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Cincy was one of those teams that pushed us around over and over again. Like that early SMU group. Cincy guys were always tough physically they just had Mick pulling them down. Sounds like a great hire.
It's obviously a long time ago but I always harken back to when Kenyon Martin played for Cincy and was an absolute monster. They've always just seemed like a big physical team so hopefully he brings whatever is in the water out there with him at least for our big men.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
A couple months ago everyone on here loved what Sal was doing developing these kids. Now that he’s gone he’s a total jerk and has horrible social views. Got it. Typical boneyard!
I sort of agree, but I will say that I had hoped to see more bulk on our players last year and that supersized Josh didn’t look particularly fit. I had hoped for better but it was only year one.

Reaction Score
A couple months ago everyone on here loved what Sal was doing developing these kids. Now that he’s gone he’s a total jerk and has horrible social views. Got it. Typical boneyard!
This is kind of fair, but a couple of months ago he wasn't publicly posting anti-Semitic memes and calling out his players so most people didn't know that about him

Reaction Score
I am curious as to his reasons for coming here. It is a lateral move. Could we pay that much more to make it worth uprooting his family? Is it his relationship with Hurley? Seeing the writing on the wall with the two programs?
Lower incidence of tractor related venereal diseases?
Go back to the first article on pg 1 of the thread and look at some of the replies from Cincy fans. Could have something to do with his wife and her career. Just my take on it.

Reaction Score
My two cents.. Sal's departure was probably less about job performance as a strength coach and more about the visibility being brought to UConn based on his social media opinions.. Is all part of the new HR environment re: employee performance evaluation.. In the corporate world (which this is not).. It is not unusual for employees to be "let go" based on their lack of discretion on social media..

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Chief put everyone on notice last season. I was told how wrong I was by the usual suspects. This was more than the last couple months, although that played a role.
Chief you attributed a torn Achilles to the S&C staff not knowing about stretching. That's why you got roasted.

Reaction Score
Alosi has removed “UConn men’s S&C coach” from his bio.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is kind of fair, but a couple of months ago he wasn't publicly posting anti-Semitic memes and calling out his players so most people didn't know that about him
Perhaps, but he was getting praise for his performance then. Now he's getting killed for his performance. No matter, he needed to be gone.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but he was getting praise for his performance then. Now he's getting killed for his performance. No matter, he needed to be gone.
How could anyone say his performance was the issue when literally nothing has happened in the last 4 months basketball wise..? And before Covid I don't ever remember seeing one bad thing said about him. You can hate the guy because of his political views, but it seems like bs to say this had anything to do with his job performance

Reaction Score
My two cents.. Sal's departure was probably less about job performance as a strength coach and more about the visibility being brought to UConn based on his social media opinions.. Is all part of the new HR environment re: employee performance evaluation.. In the corporate world (which this is not).. It is not unusual for employees to be "let go" based on their lack of discretion on social media..

Yes, this seems to be the new norm. It will be interesting to see if it will remain legal over the long term to hire/fire employees over their personal political/social beliefs. Remember, it is a two way street...

Reaction Score
I’m moderate on Sal. Heading into season i was all aboard. Not a lot of growth in some of the guys last year but obv some strength wise. So ok at worst in that regard. Obv huge upgrade from KO era. But would have liked to see more strength in general. And Josh fiasco had me questioning him quite a bit. A guy goes from young very promising to 6-9 guy who basically can’t finish or dunk unless a runway is there was concerning. He’s ok. I think we upgraded. Think about how many times lesser recruits manhandled physically KO teams and year 1 Hurley from Cincy. Much better last year but still a ways.

whaley a big positive for sal to be fair.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Mike on his promotion to a real power basketball league.

Wait just a minute. Here's a quote from the Cincy board from "Final_Four_Bound". Wonder how someone with that name got on their board:

"I would love to find out more of why in the absolute hell you would make a move to UConn. You got a super super annoying pest of a coach and a team that won’t finish in the top 5 of that league in the next decade. "

Reaction Score
Wait just a minute. Here's a quote from the Cincy board from "Final_Four_Bound". Wonder how someone with that name got on their board:

"I would love to find out more of why in the absolute hell you would make a move to UConn. You got a super super annoying pest of a coach and a team that won’t finish in the top 5 of that league in the next decade. "

There was a reply from : Never Past The First Weekend....."how can we call anyone's elses coach annoying after Mick Cronin was our HC for so many years. You must be a dope!"

C

Chief00

There was a reply from : Never Past The First Weekend....."how can we call anyone's elses coach annoying after Mick Cronin was our HC for so many years. You must be a dope!"
Mick never fully appreciated regardless of how hard you play, you still need guys to put the ball in the basket.

Reaction Score
He's definitely different than Sal...

Screenshot_20200627-105858_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Unlike some here, I don't research what others posted but I recall near euphoria when Sal was hired and when videos of workouts were posted.
It was Sal, Sal, Sal for many months and like "the emperor's new clothes" when we saw the "new physiques" of the players going into the first season after his hiring. The only one who looked materially larger (bulkier) was JC but Sal was still praised for the development of the players...........admittedly maybe because of how bad it had been before.
I also recall someone other than Chief questioning the S&C program when Tyler Phommachanh blew out his knee and AA tore his achilles. She commented on stretching and was repeatedly, soundly, berated by a number of people. (Was it Sharon?)
So why all the dumping on the guy now? He made some improvements so let's show some class and let him move on with some dignity.

Reaction Score
I’m moderate on Sal. Heading into season i was all aboard. Not a lot of growth in some of the guys last year but obv some strength wise. So ok at worst in that regard. Obv huge upgrade from KO era. But would have liked to see more strength in general. And Josh fiasco had me questioning him quite a bit. A guy goes from young very promising to 6-9 guy who basically can’t finish or dunk unless a runway is there was concerning. He’s ok. I think we upgraded. Think about how many times lesser recruits manhandled physically KO teams and year 1 Hurley from Cincy. Much better last year but still a ways.

whaley a big positive for sal to be fair.
I’m excited about the new hire, everything I’ve heard about him has been really positive. It’s obvious to see how physical UC teams have been during his tenure, and hopefully that translates as well for our more lengthy, explosive players like JB, AA, AJ etc.

In fairness to Sal, it was more than just Whaley. He did well with CV, BA, AG, SW, RS (from what I’ve read). Even JB too, seeing how well he was coming on later in the season. He didn’t get huge but he gained strength and was playing really well, that matters. But I’m not all that surprised. Reading the tea leaves, seems like the recent posts were the last straw. Was a step in the right direction in terms of actually emphasizing S & C again, excited to see what’s to come with the new hire. I’d just say, have some patience, these things take time to develop for a lot of guys.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I am curious as to his reasons for coming here. It is a lateral move. Could we pay that much more to make it worth uprooting his family? Is it his relationship with Hurley? Seeing the writing on the wall with the two programs?
Lower incidence of tractor related venereal diseases?
I 'm thinking his job title is director of sports performance. You can certainly say that his performance at Cincy was outstanding based on their physical (and mental) approach to the game for a number of years. If you wanted to take Uconn to the next level the one piece that seemed missing was physical toughness and strength. If I was Hurley I'd take it out of my own pay to make up the difference if it was more than Sal's. Finally, the entire team is on campus to meet him and begin the monster program. Wow!!!! I think the bb program is going to astonish people. I also remember DH saying that if this program takes off Christian Vital will have had a big part in it's foundation. Uconn tough. It's really beginning.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes, this seems to be the new norm. It will be interesting to see if it will remain legal over the long term to hire/fire employees over their personal political/social beliefs. Remember, it is a two way street...

Do you think keeping Sal on staff would have been helpful for player recruitment and retention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom