UConn poaches Cincy Strength Coach | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn poaches Cincy Strength Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yes, this seems to be the new norm. It will be interesting to see if it will remain legal over the long term to hire/fire employees over their personal political/social beliefs. Remember, it is a two way street...

I think If you work with young people at a public institution and you attack a religion/ethnicity, you lose your job. I have no problem with it.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
A couple months ago everyone on here loved what Sal was doing developing these kids. Now that he’s gone he’s a total jerk and has horrible social views. Got it. Typical boneyard!
Not true. I certainly didn't love the results from Josh Carlton this past season... not sure how you feel.

The way I see it is- we were all very excited at the initial hire. We saw initial improvement in strength and conditioning (granted, a very low bar was set by the previous 'administration'). He whiffed on the Carlton development, then posted certain beliefs on social media that I, for one, did not know he had. Hurley obviously addressed the situation, and seemingly made a great hire to replace Sal.

I was on board on the initial hire, but I'm also on board with what went down now, given the resume and the way Cinci fans are talking about this new guy.

I generally agree that the Boneyard switches stances on people depending on how their affiliation with the university changes (recruits deciding not to come to UConn, etc.). But your assessment is watered down and completely different from how the Boneyard sometimes decides that a player wasn't worth it only after said player commits elsewhere.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I doubt he's a racist or has any ill intent but it's going to he hard for him to be the strength coach for basketball or football teams while voicing those beliefs.
It’s a terrible precedent though. Should every big 12 and SEC football coach be fired because their political affiliation? Or are we just firing relatively insignificant S&C coaches? Being conservative doesn’t mean that you’re a racist who doesn’t support black lives.

Reaction Score
It’s a terrible precedent though. Should every big 12 and SEC football coach be fired because their political affiliation? Or are we just firing relatively insignificant S&C coaches? Being conservative doesn’t mean that you’re a racist who doesn’t support black lives.
What Sal was posting was not "being conservative"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

It's on coaches to convince black recruits that they and their staffs support black lives. Do you understand why a head coach wouldn't want to keep someone around who makes that difficult?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
A couple months ago everyone on here loved what Sal was doing developing these kids. Now that he’s gone he’s a total jerk and has horrible social views. Got it. Typical boneyard!

You don’t see the specifics of this situation being much different? Does that need to get explained? No this is not the typical “we didn’t get that guy so I didn’t want him anyway” and that’s obvious to almost anyone.

Reaction Score

1) programs can hire and fire who they want to within the law. UConn wants to be better to our athletes than the SEC is. I don't know if the SEC schools will have consequences for their coaches views in recruiting.. I also don't know id any coaches spewing the stuff Sal did. UConn is better than that. We can't let down our athletes and turn off recruits to this stuff. ONE opposing coach shows a kid one of Sal's posts and we're toast.

2) Sal's posts were both tremendously misinformed and racist against multiple groups of people. His character was not in line with our program any more. Full stop.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Why are people comparing political views with bigotry?
No one should be punished for expressing political views.
Expressing bigotry is different. Real conservatives aren't racists and bigots.
Well, at least there used to be a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom