UConn playing a game near LA next year | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn playing a game near LA next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for all of you I wasn't speaking in absolutes, so posting a dozen or so handpicked examples of when this has occurred only reinforces that it's a relatively rare event in college scheduling.

The difference between the scheduling examples of the likes of MSU and UNC is that they have heavy conference schedules, as a result they can afford to experiment with games like this, and if they do happen to lose they have a plethora of opportunities to make up for it during the conference slate. We don't have that liberty. Our OOC schedule can make or break our tournament hopes, so every game counts. We saw that this year, we had one of our best OOC schedules in a few years and we still found ourselves sitting on the bubble RPI wise near selection Sunday, the committee has shown time and time again they rely too heavily on that metric.

I can't see how a game against Loyola on the other side of the country, adding in jet lag and Maui on the team's mind is going to help us in any way. The only reason I've heard in support for the game is that it's a "tune-up game for Maui", whatever the hell that is, usually they call that the first round of the tournament. Games like this simply don't present enough benefit to our team and schedule for us to take on the risk, there isn't even the ticket sales to use as justification. Everyone here was s***ing on the fact that we had to play UMass-Lowell this season and are saying we need less of those games, yet are all on board for us playing a UMass-Lowell caliber opponent ON THE ROAD in a different time-zone? Give me a break. Everyone please return to posting links of games from 2002 and high-fiving one another.
I'd take the game versus Long Beach St. in a second. OOC road win versus a top 100 ken pom team is a real nice look on the resume. Loss isn't the end of the world.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the preseason articles about good OOC schedules next year and seeing us getting praised for whatever this game ends up being.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
A game in LA area has got to be good for recruits from that area to see. KO clearly wants to keep his foot in that door. Maybe it's better for jet lag to break that long trip into 2 parts, take a day or two in between perhaps. Or not. If our guys aren't ready to handle a Long Beach State, well then we better buckle up for Maui.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for all of you I wasn't speaking in absolutes, so posting a dozen or so handpicked examples of when this has occurred only reinforces that it's a relatively rare event in college scheduling.

The difference between the scheduling examples of the likes of MSU and UNC is that they have heavy conference schedules, as a result they can afford to experiment with games like this, and if they do happen to lose they have a plethora of opportunities to make up for it during the conference slate. We don't have that liberty. Our OOC schedule can make or break our tournament hopes, so every game counts. We saw that this year, we had one of our best OOC schedules in a few years and we still found ourselves sitting on the bubble RPI wise near selection Sunday, the committee has shown time and time again they rely too heavily on that metric.

I can't see how a game against Loyola on the other side of the country, adding in jet lag and Maui on the team's mind is going to help us in any way. The only reason I've heard in support for the game is that it's a "tune-up game for Maui", whatever the hell that is, usually they call that the first round of the tournament. Games like this simply don't present enough benefit to our team and schedule for us to take on the risk, there isn't even the ticket sales to use as justification. Everyone here was s***ing on the fact that we had to play UMass-Lowell this season and are saying we need less of those games, yet are all on board for us playing a UMass-Lowell caliber opponent ON THE ROAD in a different time-zone? Give me a break. Everyone please return to posting links of games from 2002 and high-fiving one another.
It's funny how many times people decide they were "not speaking in absolutes" when they say something ridiculous and other people point out how ridiculous it is.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's funny how many times people decide they were "not speaking in absolutes" when they say something ridiculous and other people point out how ridiculous it is.
Do you seriously believe I was saying this type of thig has never happened in the history of the game? You think that was the point of my post? It doesn't surprise me that your entire counter-point is just going to be centered around semantics and wording, it's the lowest form of Internet reply next to the grammar nazi.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No, I thought the point of your post was to illustrate that you're a spoiled, entitled idiot who thinks that because "we are UCONN", it's beneath us to play a road game against an opponent that is not your typical high major.
Oh boy, this is an embarrassing post. I had a feeling that the "we are UConn" line was the reason for the vitriolic replies, that's just classic Yard. You think I'm being an "entitled spoiled brat" because I made a post describing with several rational reasons on why I think it's not to UConn's benefit to play a certain type of game out of conference? Yet your reply is just some veiled insults and then a full on hissy fit when confronted? So you disagree with my point, big deal, get a grip.

Whether you like it or not there is a hierarchy in college sports and it's the AD's job is to make a schedule that maximizes UConn's potential, not one that is accepting of all opponents for the sake of fairness. Besides, my point had nothing to do with the name brand of the opponent. If we want to stop to play San Diego State or USC on the way to Maui then I can see a benefit, but Loyola Marymount and CS Northridge?

Reaction Score
I would think if your choices are playing a cupcake at home vs a cupcake on the road the latter is the better option. If you win a true road game vs a 200 RPI opponent isn't it better than winning one vs a 200 RPI opponent at home? If the team loses, they probably weren't good enough anyway.

Reaction Score

1) There is a pretty significant RPI difference between playing UMass-Lowell at home and one of these teams on the road.

2) Unless our first round opponent is Chaminade, how would the first round of the tournament be a "tune-up game?" How do you know we won't play Wisconsin in the first round? Even if we play Tennessee.....they managed to beat Kentucky and Vandy last year.

3) Last year's OOC schedule looked a lot better on paper than it was in actuality. Syracuse, Ohio State, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Michigan - every single one of those teams had down years. Our RPI would have been much better if those teams were better.....and if we didn't lose to Houston, Temple twice, etc.

4) Not sure if you've noticed, but we've had a bit of success recruiting California lately. I guarantee you there will be multiple recruits at this game, wherever it is, specifically there to watch us play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom