UConn playing a game near LA next year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn playing a game near LA next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I will be quite dissapointed if UConn plays a true road game against any of those teams.

caw

Reaction Score
I will be quite dissapointed if UConn plays a true road game against any of those teams.

Why? It's a great way to tune up for Maui, gets UConn more exposure in Cali (an Ollie recruiting hotbed) and helps the RPI.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Why? It's a great way to tune up for Maui, gets UConn more exposure in Cali (an Ollie recruiting hotbed) and helps the RPI.
Because we are UConn.

How many other true powerhouse programs do you see playing true road games OOC, let alone road games against teams like those listed above. It presents us little to no advantage. If we win, great, it was an RPI 100+ and we damn well should have beaten them. If we lose, which is very likely considering early season UConn teams usually are far from polished as well as the unfamiliar territory/away crowd's Super Bowl factor makes it a clear trap game.

On top of all of this, the school wouldn't even be compensated with home game ticket sales which is really the only reason cupcakes are played AT HOME in the first place, I've honestly never seen a major program schedule a game like this one being discussed. We need to act like we belong, and not act like a mid major.

Reaction Score
Because we are UConn.

How many other true powerhouse programs do you see playing true road games OOC, let alone road games against teams like those listed above. It presents us little to no advantage. If we win, great, it was an RPI 100+ and we damn well should have beaten them. If we lose, which is very likely considering early season UConn teams usually are far from polished as well as the unfamiliar territory/away crowd's Super Bowl factor makes it a clear trap game.

On top of all of this, the school wouldn't even be compensated with home game ticket sales which is really the only reason cupcakes are played AT HOME in the first place, I've honestly never seen a major program schedule a game like this one being discussed. We need to act like we belong, and not act like a mid major.

I guess Michigan State is a mid-major, then. Personally, I hate the way Kentucky and Duke schedule and I don't ever want to be them.

Playing a tune-up in LA in before a critical Maui tournament is not "acting like a mid-major."

Reaction Score
Because we are UConn.

It happens fairly frequently and road wins are always good.
I guess Michigan State is a mid-major, then. Personally, I hate the way Kentucky and Duke schedule and I don't ever want to be them.

Playing a tune-up in LA in before a critical Maui tournament is not "acting like a mid-major."
As much as I want to agree with you if you're using the "away game" vs Oakland as an example that was nuetral at best.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
As much as I want to agree with you if you're using the "away game" vs Oakland as an example that was nuetral at best.
Michigan State played a true road game at Navy 2 seasons ago.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Because we are UConn.

UNC does this often and not as part of a long trip either, losses at UAB and Northern Iowa come to mind.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Nevada hosted UNC and Kansas (blew them out when they were ranked #7) in the past few years. It happens all the time for various reasons. I bet they end up playing Long Beach

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Using MSU playing Navy one time two years ago as a counter-argument is like pointing to Hillary Clinton when I say "most presidential candidates are male".

Reaction Score
Using MSU playing Navy one time two years ago as a counter-argument is like pointing to Hillary Clinton when I say "most presidential candidates are male".
And here I was all this time thinking BU was for smart kids

Reaction Score
It happens fairly frequently and road wins are always good.

Michigan State played a true road game at Navy 2 seasons ago.

Also played a true road game @ Northeastern this season.

Reaction Score
And while we're on topic, Oklahoma played a game @ Hawaii this season (a situation that would be comparable to ours given it was a throw-in as part of another tournament).

It's not like we're calling up random schools asking for a game, this is clearly a unique situation where we're looking to sandwich a game between a titanic road trip to stay sharp. I think the UConn brand will survive.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

How about UNC playing at Long Beach State or at Northern Iowa or you're just an idiot?

caw

Reaction Score
Because we are UConn.

So you ask for examples, are given examples and they don't count?

If UConn were only playing road games at mid to low majors, then you would have a point. Or doing it with no specific goal.

BTW in 2005-2006 UConn played @Pepperdine in its first game of the season. They then continued to fly west to play in the Maui Classic. A year where UConn not only already had 2 NCs but also were a top 5 team entering the season.

In 2011, UConn had three games before the Maui classic at home.

So it's not a given but it's not unprecedented by UConn.

Reaction Score
So you ask for examples, are given examples and they don't count?

If UConn were only playing road games at mid to low majors, then you would have a point. Or doing it with no specific goal.

BTW in 2005-2006 UConn played @Pepperdine in its first game of the season. They then continued to fly west to play in the Maui Classic. A year where UConn not only already had 2 NCs but also were a top 5 team entering the season.

In 2011, UConn had three games before the Maui classic at home.

So it's not a given but it's not unprecedented by UConn.
We've also played at Rice and Buffalo somewhat recently

Reactions: caw

BUHusky

Reaction Score
Just a note, I'm BUHusky. You're talking about BUHusky10. Yes I know, it's confusing. Just ask @OkaForPrez when we were in the Bahamas. I'm pretty sure he thought I was posting to the Boneyard when I was actually swimming in the ocean :)

Reaction Score
Just a note, I'm BUHusky. You're talking about BUHusky10. Yes I know, it's confusing. Just ask @OkaForPrez when we were in the Bahamas. I'm pretty sure he thought I was posting to the Boneyard when I was actually swimming in the ocean :)
God damn man I thought you quoted me arguing with yourself :confused:

BUHusky

Reaction Score
Um, ok... And as @champs99and04 pointed out MSU also played a true road game at Northeastern this past season.

And besides @zls44's mega list (which is not exhaustive), he pretty much nailed it when citing UNC. They played a true game at Long Beach St...wait for it...on the way to Maui 4 seasons ago. I guess UNC is a mid-major too...

Reaction Score
For some reason, BU Husky's POV really set me off. Maybe I'm cranky because its late?
It's probably because his POV rarely has even the slightest bit of intelligence behind it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I apologize if I've ever snapped at you; the other dude is who I'm sure it was meant for.

Reaction Score

Holy crap, I've thought you were just the most schizo poster on here for like 2 years.

Reaction Score
Um, ok... And as @champs99and04 pointed out MSU also played a true road game at Northeastern this past season.

And besides @zls44's mega list (which is not exhaustive), he pretty much nailed it when citing UNC. They played a true game at Long Beach St...wait for it...on the way to Maui 4 seasons ago. I guess UNC is a mid-major too...

I can't remember the thread but I remember about a month ago you posted something in reply to the other BUHusky that completely contradicted him. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out it was two separate people.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for all of you I wasn't speaking in absolutes, so posting a dozen or so handpicked examples of when this has occurred only reinforces that it's a relatively rare event in college scheduling.

The difference between the scheduling examples of the likes of MSU and UNC is that they have heavy conference schedules, as a result they can afford to experiment with games like this, and if they do happen to lose they have a plethora of opportunities to make up for it during the conference slate. We don't have that liberty. Our OOC schedule can make or break our tournament hopes, so every game counts. We saw that this year, we had one of our best OOC schedules in a few years and we still found ourselves sitting on the bubble RPI wise near selection Sunday, the committee has shown time and time again they rely too heavily on that metric.

I can't see how a game against Loyola on the other side of the country, adding in jet lag and Maui on the team's mind is going to help us in any way. The only reason I've heard in support for the game is that it's a "tune-up game for Maui", whatever the hell that is, usually they call that the first round of the tournament. Games like this simply don't present enough benefit to our team and schedule for us to take on the risk, there isn't even the ticket sales to use as justification. Everyone here was s***ing on the fact that we had to play UMass-Lowell this season and are saying we need less of those games, yet are all on board for us playing a UMass-Lowell caliber opponent ON THE ROAD in a different time-zone? Give me a break. Everyone please return to posting links of games from 2002 and high-fiving one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom