UConn playing a game near LA next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn playing a game near LA next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I'd like to play the beach, usually have a solid team and aren't afraid to play big name opponents. I'd assume that none of the Cal state or wcc schools would turn down a home game against us though.

Reaction Score
Also, Loyola Marymount is less than an hour from LAX. Depending upon traffic, anyway.

Loyola Marymount's about 2.5 miles from LAX. Literally right down the street.

This is great. Like Champs said, love that they'll play a semi-legitimate team before Hawaii. UCSB's not too far to be out of the question. I'm up there on weekends all the time at my parents' place and even with traffic on a Friday night it's 2 hours door to door. Off hours you can do it in 90 minutes. Or they could fly into Santa Barbara.

Long Beach State, Cal St. Fullerton, CSUN, Pepp. Plenty of options.

Please assign Brian O'Connell to this one. We've got a score to settle.

Reaction Score
Loyola Marymount's about 2.5 miles from LAX. Literally right down the street.
3Gpey.jpg

Reaction Score
That would obviously be great if its UCLA, but I also like the idea of playing a low major OOC game on the road. We have done it before like in 2005 at Pepperdine before Maui like others have mentioned, and also at Rice in 2004 and at Buffalo in 2008. I like it because it gives the team experience with a road game/hostile crowd early in the season.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason playing mid major road games always seems to be something that the committee loves. Good deal.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
That would obviously be great if its UCLA, but I also like the idea of playing a low major OOC game on the road. We have done it before like in 2005 at Pepperdine before Maui like others have mentioned, and also at Rice in 2004 and at Buffalo in 2008. I like it because it gives the team experience with a road game/hostile crowd early in the season.
Was Buffalo in 2008 really the last true road game against a non-major opponent? And I'm pretty sure Calhoun only played that game because it was negotiated in tandem with a football game at Buffalo. Rice in 2004 for Emeka's homecoming game (haven't done that for anyone else in a while).

I feel like with life in the AAC they could certainly use more road games against non-majors. Helps build both their character and RPI.

Reaction Score
Hope the best for Hamilton but it's a new year with new guys. We won't be better this year without him but it should make us better for the following year. I hope he gets drafted and performs well.
I've been told that Hamilton was told, face to face by NBA guys, that he is a long shot to get drafted. He's making a mistake.

Reaction Score
I've been told that Hamilton was told, face to face by NBA guys, that he is a long shot to get drafted. He's making a mistake.

Yeah last night as I struggled to explain the situation to my mother who is a fellow alum and nutball fan, I was thinking it might be great if he somehow gets it in his mind that he's not going in the lottery or maybe even first round, is able to complete classes online, and comes back. As long as he doesn't actually hire an agent, he can say whatever he wants in interviews about being all in for the draft.

Reaction Score
I hear we are playing Nevada, Musslemen and Ollie are long time NBA friends.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I love the idea of playing a game before Maui, particularly if it's against a quality opponent. Much like Battle for Atlantis this year, the Maui tournament will go a long way towards dictating the tone of our season. It's best to be sharp heading into that one.

I prefer a tuneup game for Maui, rather than vs a high major, because it's so early in the season with so many new moving parts.

The way scheduling is these days, I kinda want a ton of high major games in December. If we could get 5 to 6 high major games in December--a pipe dream--I'd be ecstatic.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I prefer a tuneup game for Maui, rather than vs a high major, because it's so early in the season with so many new moving parts.

The way scheduling is these days, I kinda want a ton of high major games in December. If we could get 5 to 6 high major games in December--a pipe dream--I'd be ecstatic.

I cannot see us playing a high major on the road BEFORE Maui. We would have the potential to have 3 losses ( I hope not, I believe in next years team if purvis is back) before we even blinked. It is not out of the realm of possibility to lose twice in Maui just as its not out of the realm to win it. I can't see front loading the schedule that much. I mean Atlantis was a November hole we barely dug out of this year.

Reaction Score
Old guys like me may remember Calhoun's 1st Cal trip, facing Pepp and Jim Harrick. Press wrote it up big---- Huskies visit Malibu. Game was televised back East at 11 PM. Calhoun's 1st yr. WE WON!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I was fortunate to be in Cali and went to the Pepperdine game. It was great!, small venue, packed! I say behind a players family

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Old guys like me may remember Calhoun's 1st Cal trip, facing Pepp and Jim Harrick. Press wrote it up big---- Huskies visit Malibu. Game was televised back East at 11 PM. Calhoun's 1st yr. WE WON!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)
We were already in Maui (Kahana) and drove all the way over to Kihei to the only sports bar on the island who said they could get the game. After making the 30 minute drive the rat bastards couldn't actually get the channel the game was on. Upside we were on Maui and just drank a bunch of mai tais to ease our pain.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"I know he’s got a lot of great people in his ear, and hopefully they’re instructing him in the right way. I’m always here to protect him and give him advice if he needs me.”

Interesting comment by Ollie.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
First, where did you hear this and the source, please
Second, as much as people would love to think that DHam has made the biggest mistake since Chamberlain trusted Hitler and that he is hearing bad info from family, I honestly think that if there was/is zero possibility of him not getting drafted, he would be not signing with an agent. That doesn't mean he would return to UConn.

Source of your info please
nbadraft.net now has him 1st pick of the 2nd round. That sight has been historically fairly active. One week ago he wasn't listed.
You and others may think that DHam has made the biggest mistake since Chamberlain trusted Hitler, but I rather doubt he would have said he will sign with an agent if he didn't have an inkling of being drafted.
I think KO knows more about it than he is letting on.

Reaction Score
First, where did you hear this and the source, please
Second, as much as people would love to think that DHam has made the biggest mistake since Chamberlain trusted Hitler and that he is hearing bad info from family, I honestly think that if there was/is zero possibility of him not getting drafted, he would be not signing with an agent. That doesn't mean he would return to UConn.

Source of your info please
nbadraft.net now has him 1st pick of the 2nd round. That sight has been historically fairly active. One week ago he wasn't listed.
You and others may think that DHam has made the biggest mistake since Chamberlain trusted Hitler, but I rather doubt he would have said he will sign with an agent if he didn't have an inkling of being drafted.
I think KO knows more about it than he is letting on.
Can't give you my source, but it's from within the program. I'm just relaying what a very connected person told me. Take it, or don't. And you can believe what you want about him signing with an agent and whether he'd make that mistake, but i'm told that he is not taking advice from people that don't share his last name.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"I know he’s got a lot of great people in his ear, and hopefully they’re instructing him in the right way. I’m always here to protect him and give him advice if he needs me.”

Interesting comment by Ollie.

Huh, could of sworn that was Chief.

Reaction Score
If USC is truly out, then UCLA would be sweet, but Pepperdine would work too.

I know it's not the LA area, but if the team flies through SF, Saint Mary's would be a fun game.

Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this, but relevant info in Amore's UConn-Syracuse article...

UConn is looking to schedule a game on the West Coast as a stopover on the way to Hawaii in November. Long Beach, Loyola Marymount and Cal State Northridge are among the schools with which there have been discussions.

That's the 96, 226, and 239 kenpom teams from last year, respectively.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I wonder if losing Warde caused a lot of the scheduling talks we had "in the works" to fall through?

I hope Benedict learns quickly how the college basketball RPI system works, we don't need BCS positioning like it was the primary concern at his last job.

Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this, but relevant info in Amore's UConn-Syracuse article...

UConn is looking to schedule a game on the West Coast as a stopover on the way to Hawaii in November. Long Beach, Loyola Marymount and Cal State Northridge are among the schools with which there have been discussions.

That's the 96, 226, and 239 kenpom teams from last year, respectively.

Might as well play my rec team, if ollie contacts me I will set it up.

caw

Reaction Score
Might as well play my rec team, if ollie contacts me I will set it up.

LB is usually solid and a road game to them would be a good RPI game win or lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom