UConn part of PK85 Tournament next season (November 2022) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn part of PK85 Tournament next season (November 2022)

sun

Reaction Score
yes but if a player like Edwards is just gonna sit on the bench for the whole Olympic run what is gained? All it did was ruin her season this year.

AFAIK AE is one of the youngest players to ever be on the Canadian team.
She's increasing her international BB IQ in preparation for spending future years with them.
We really don't know how being on the team impacted her performance this year, and UConn's season still isn't over yet.
I believe that in part, AE was referred to UConn by Kia Nurse, and she probably referred her to the Canadian team as well because she's also on it.
UConn BB alumni & Geno help each other out.

Reaction Score
Texas, NC state, SC, ND, and this PK85 tourney. Tennessee series is not renewed as of right now.

Would be nice to get Maryland and Minnesota series for Azzi and Paige’s homecomings. We’ll have to wait and see.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I love being involved in this tourny, but lets hope that it doesn't screw up our schedule for next November. We don't know how our November schedule is next year, but I feel confident that we will have at least 2 additional games before December. Hoping they don't conflict. Still feeling the pain..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Would be nice to get Maryland and Minnesota series for Azzi and Paige’s homecomings. We’ll have to wait and see.
Paige's family now lives in Maryland, though she has thousands of fans in Minnesota. Azzi's family lives in Northern Virginia. We play Georgetown every season. Would that be a homecoming game?

Katie and Tim told me they hope to go to every game. I know they were at some games when Azzi was injured and not playing. I've seen them at every game I've attended and a couple I did not attend.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Paige's family now lives in Maryland, though she has thousands of fans in Minnesota.
What's the precedence for this situation? Do they try to schedule homecoming games against the team where they (players and their families) currently live or teams from where they went to high school?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What's the precedence for this situation? Do they try to schedule homecoming games against the team where they (players and their families) currently live or teams from where they went to high school?

Good question! I don't know if there is a precedent. But Paige and Azzi both have family and friends in Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Yes, you are correct! I was mistaken, looks like Tennessee IS on for next season. Hope they can be competitive.

Reaction Score
Definitely seems like they'll want to match you with us with the intent for you to play Iowa in the final and us just having played Iowa this season.

Go easy on @triaddukefan + @CamrnCrz1974 + me as it's been a long time since we've had a game against each other where we were not just making jokes about it to ease the pain.

Reaction Score
Paige's family now lives in Maryland, though she has thousands of fans in Minnesota. Azzi's family lives in Northern Virginia. We play Georgetown every season. Would that be a homecoming game?

Katie and Tim told me they hope to go to every game. I know they were at some games when Azzi was injured and not playing. I've seen them at every game I've attended and a couple I did not attend.
Yes I have read on BY before that their parent has moved. Still I am sure Minnesota would still be considered home to someone only one year removed during adulthood. In addition, all the coaches and old teammates probably still live there. Alexa Phillipou (The Courant) reported that UConn and Minni were in talks to schedule a serious. Reported back in Nov 2021.

Did not realize Georgetown could be a home game. That is a win win! Nice add that Azzi’s parents plan to see many of her games. I am sure everyone else who has known Azzi would like to see her play in a homecoming game as well. BTW, the DMV area has 3 states so saying she lives in “virginia” doesn’t make much difference. Isn’t her high school is a 25 min drive to the University of Maryland? Or am I getting the schools mixed up? Anyway it’s a win win since Maryland would be a great add to the schedule.

All in all, my sentiment stays the same: I hope we can schedule a series with Minnesota and Maryland for Azzi and Paige’s homecomings. The schedule definitely looks good next year so far!

Reaction Score
We're getting off topic here, but I have a dumb question, Aren't homecoming games usually in the player's senior year?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Have you talked to her? Did she tell you that the time wasn't worth it?

Some of y'all think her season was "ruined" by that time because you only think of them as players at UConn here to perform at the highest level for your viewing pleasure. Never mind what other things they have going on. Whether she played or not, that might be an experience that she will cherish for the rest of her life.
Yes, but if spending time with the Canadian National Team put a kink in the UConn women’s season, well, Canada has to go! We can’t have our girls coming from behind or winning by single digits. Gotta get your priorities in order.

Sorry Canada

Reaction Score
Yes, but if spending time with the Canadian National Team put a kink in the UConn women’s season, well, Canada has to go! We can’t have our girls coming from behind or winning by single digits. Gotta get your priorities in order.
"Our girls?" They aren't yours and thank goodness. You'd rather have them miss out on an amazing experience if it might "hurt" UConn's season. I hope some of you weren't this selfish with your actual children.

Also..those are YOUR priorities, not hers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Sorry Canada
Finally someone posts what I've been thinking all year. A post with REAL UCONN spirit.

Canada can go suck a maple leaf. Harrrrrrrumph.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"Our girls?" They aren't yours and thank goodness. You'd rather have them miss out on an amazing experience if it might "hurt" UConn's season. I hope some of you weren't this selfish with your actual children.

Also..those are YOUR priorities, not hers.
newbies-newbies-everywhere-d7av27.jpg

sun

Reaction Score
One thing that amazes me about AE is how strong she is.
She's in such good shape that she could probably play 3 games in a single day, never mind 3 games in 3 days.

After her arm got hooked last game and she got flung onto the floor like a rag doll, many other players would probably have been injured.
But she took a licking and kept right on ticking.
She's as strong as an oak tree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would be nice if they do a round robin! Don’t want to miss out on UConn-Iowa if they’re not in the same bracket

Reaction Score
I have to respectfully disagree. Playing for your national team is a big deal to these young women. Some of my fellow Louisville fans were very vocal last season when Elizabeth Balogun missed a few games to play for the Nigerian national team. This season Merissah Russell is playing for the Canadian national team.

And as for taking a break - these are 18-21 year old athletes, most of whom have played basketball more or less continuously since they were 12 years old or younger. I'd venture to guess that many of them are in the gym pretty much every day. It's not like a few weeks with a national team will wear them out.
All of these knee, foot, back injuries?
A break could be most beneficial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom