UConn part of PK85 Tournament next season (November 2022) | The Boneyard

UConn part of PK85 Tournament next season (November 2022)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From UConnWBB's press release:

"Hosted by Rip City Management, LLC, the Phil Knight Legacy will feature UConn, Duke, Iowa and Oregon State in the women's field.

Each team will play one game per day in the bracket-style format on Nov. 25 and 27. Games will be at the Chiles Center at University of Portland, Rose Quarter's Moda Center and Veterans Memorial Coliseum."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From the ESPN release:

All 16 PKI games will be televised on ESPN networks, including the men’s and women’s championship games – live from the Moda Center on Sunday, Nov. 27.

“We are honored to bring together some of the best men’s and women’s college basketball teams in tribute to Phil Knight and his lasting impact on the sport,” said Clint Overby, vice president, ESPN Events. “The quality of both fields along with the multi-venue setup will make Portland the epicenter of college hoops this Thanksgiving weekend.”

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
From UConnWBB's press release:

"Hosted by Rip City Management, LLC, the Phil Knight Legacy will feature UConn, Duke, Iowa and Oregon State in the women's field.

Each team will play one game per day in the bracket-style format on Nov. 25 and 27. Games will be at the Chiles Center at University of Portland, Rose Quarter's Moda Center and Veterans Memorial Coliseum."
I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I'll bet these are all Nike teams. :cool:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
OMG! So exciting to have these great WBB programs visit the State of Oregon. I'll look forward to meeting those Boneyard WBB fans who make the trip west.
Please let us know when you hear about tickets.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Scheduling won’t take place until summer because organizers want to first get a look at the team’s rosters for 2022-23. Most college team’s rosters are in flux until at least mid-summer because of the transfer portal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Scheduling won’t take place until summer because organizers want to first get a look at the team’s rosters for 2022-23. Most college team’s rosters are in flux until at least mid-summer because of the transfer portal.
I imagine the want to get a 1v4, 2v3 set up. (for the women) (1v8, etc for the men)

Reaction Score
I have to respectfully disagree. Playing for your national team is a big deal to these young women. Some of my fellow Louisville fans were very vocal last season when Elizabeth Balogun missed a few games to play for the Nigerian national team. This season Merissah Russell is playing for the Canadian national team.

And as for taking a break - these are 18-21 year old athletes, most of whom have played basketball more or less continuously since they were 12 years old or younger. I'd venture to guess that many of them are in the gym pretty much every day. It's not like a few weeks with a national team will wear them out.

Reaction Score
I have to respectfully disagree. Playing for your national team is a big deal to these young women. Some of my fellow Louisville fans were very vocal last season when Elizabeth Balogun missed a few games to play for the Nigerian national team. This season Merissah Russell is playing for the Canadian national team.

And as for taking a break - these are 18-21 year old athletes, most of whom have played basketball more or less continuously since they were 12 years old or younger. I'd venture to guess that many of them are in the gym pretty much every day. It's not like a few weeks with a national team will wear them out.
yes but if a player like Edwards is just gonna sit on the bench for the whole Olympic run what is gained? All it did was ruin her season this year.

Reaction Score
Will this be a round robin within each bracket only or will it be winners advance? I would assume the former as I’m sure Ore/orest and Duke/unc don’t want to play 3 times.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
There info seems clear. Each team plays 2 games. Within their own 4 team bracket there is a semis game with the winners playing for the bracket title...the losers playing for 3rd. There is no possibility of Oregon/OSU or NC/Duke meeting in this event...no matter the results.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Love it! How about a final of UConn/Iowa...Paige/Caitlin rematch!
Be careful what you wish for. Clark dropped 46 in a loss to Michigan on 2/6 and 32 in a win vs Minn on 2/9. :eek:

A good "early" test for UConn this winter, I like it. Hopefully we'll get to see our two newest additions to the team (Patterson & Brady).
I'd like to see Patterson set the tone for the season by flushing one (or more) in one or both of these games. :D

Reaction Score
yes but if a player like Edwards is just gonna sit on the bench for the whole Olympic run what is gained? All it did was ruin her season this year.
Have you talked to her? Did she tell you that the time wasn't worth it?

Some of y'all think her season was "ruined" by that time because you only think of them as players at UConn here to perform at the highest level for your viewing pleasure. Never mind what other things they have going on. Whether she played or not, that might be an experience that she will cherish for the rest of her life.

Reaction Score

It's possible with the U17 Worlds happening this year for the 2022 class. FIBA Worlds may be in play for Aaliyah as Canada Basketball has been integrating more NCAA players nowadays. I don't know if there is anything for European qualifiers for the U23 age group.

Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. Clark dropped 46 in a loss to Michigan on 2/6 and 32 in a win vs Minn on 2/9. :eek:

A good "early" test for UConn this winter, I like it. Hopefully we'll get to see our two newest additions to the team (Patterson & Brady).
I'd like to see Patterson set the tone for the season by flushing one (or more) in one or both of these games. :D

No Patterson, don't listen to them. Save it for TBA, and do it at both ends of the court to make certain everyone saw it. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom