UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 33 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
Ownership/control rules. But it moot unless the Big boys want it. They don't.

It wouldn’t hold up in court. I don’t think anyone would want this. The little guys don’t want to disqualify any donors.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It wouldn’t hold up in court. I don’t think anyone would want this. The little guys don’t want to disqualify any donors.
Lol, ownership attribution rules are common place.

The NCAA is a self regulating agency and has the right to provide for rules of participation.

It wouldn't prescribe contributors it would just prescribe payments directly to athletes. Until the last couple years this was the norm.

But why bother talking about it?

Reaction Score
Then what's the point of having the rule? There isn't.

It would be far more effective to have a hard limit of one free transfer.
A hard limit on transfers wouldn't hold up on court. Hell the current regulations are unlikely to hold up in court. If schools want to have a limit on player movement, then they need to hurry up and recognize them as employees, otherwise it will move towards a wide open marketplace.

Reaction Score
A hard limit on transfers wouldn't hold up on court. Hell the current regulations are unlikely to hold up in court. If schools want to have a limit on player movement, then they need to hurry up and recognize them as employees, otherwise it will move towards a wide open marketplace.

There already is a limit on transfers. So you are saying if they were limited further it wouldn’t hold up?

Reaction Score
There already is a limit on transfers. So you are saying if they were limited further it wouldn’t hold up?
They are getting sued for just having any limits. Putting any more would just increase their legal spending

Reaction Score
They are getting sued for just having any limits. Putting any more would just increase their legal spending
Fine, then put me in the camp of spending more to preserve NCAA’s self regulating ability to set rules for participation. I wish they would, instead of rolling over to those who want to rig the rules in their favors. It’s ruining college sports.

Reaction Score
Fine, then put me in the camp of spending more to preserve NCAA’s self regulating ability to set rules for participation. I wish they would, instead of rolling over to those who want to rig the rules in their favors. It’s ruining college sports.
I think the uber division Charlie Baker is proposing is kinda the best result. Let those schools and fan bases that want to provide pay for play do so, and everyone else can stick with the old status quo. What you are on the verge of having now is schools recruiting off the rosters of their opponents when they see a player that can help them and a smaller school could do nothing to try and keep the kid.

Reaction Score
I think the uber division Charlie Baker is proposing is kinda the best result. Let those schools and fan bases that want to provide pay for play do so, and everyone else can stick with the old status quo. What you are on the verge of having now is schools recruiting off the rosters of their opponents when they see a player that can help them and a smaller school could do nothing to try and keep the kid.
We are moving farther and farther from the O'Bannon lawsuit. I am interested to see a deep dive into the effects of all this change on the individual student athletes when enough data is available. Right now, all I can see is that kids have money that didn't have money, so that is good. Will the overall "health" of the whole College athletic system suffer to the point that it negatively impacts a segment of the student-athletes, or will it in fact be stronger, and provide equal or better opportunity for all of the student-athletes.

Reaction Score
We are moving farther and farther from the O'Bannon lawsuit. I am interested to see a deep dive into the effects of all this change on the individual student athletes when enough data is available. Right now, all I can see is that kids have money that didn't have money, so that is good. Will the overall "health" of the whole College athletic system suffer to the point that it negatively impacts a segment of the student-athletes, or will it in fact be stronger, and provide equal or better opportunity for all of the student-athletes.
We won't know this for a number of years, but does it make more financial sense for a college athlete to focus on their academic career and build contacts or take money and move around colleges for athletics? Look at someone like Joly. Say he gets a large NIL payment for his last 2 years of his football career. Would it make more sense financially to have stuck at UConn, maybe make less in NIL but still make some, develop contacts in the NY/CT area, and set himself up for a career? Maybe his new college will help him, but it was clear he was getting a lot of attention at UConn. And, I am sure it is more important to get a college degree than to make some NIL cash with the exception of the very top players, but will the degree and future earnings potential motivate athletes?

Reaction Score
We won't know this for a number of years, but does it make more financial sense for a college athlete to focus on their academic career and build contacts or take money and move around colleges for athletics? Look at someone like Joly. Say he gets a large NIL payment for his last 2 years of his football career. Would it make more sense financially to have stuck at UConn, maybe make less in NIL but still make some, develop contacts in the NY/CT area, and set himself up for a career? Maybe his new college will help him, but it was clear he was getting a lot of attention at UConn. And, I am sure it is more important to get a college degree than to make some NIL cash with the exception of the very top players, but will the degree and future earnings potential motivate athletes?
He is moving because he is setting himself up for a career, the NFL. Balling out at a competitive P4 team will be much better for his future earnings than making contacts for a job in NYC. Not sure when people are going to understand, that even if he got less NIL money, moving to a competitive P4 team is the choice that he should make for his future. The exposure to scouts and a national audience on a more regular basis, along with proving yourself at the top level of competition, makes it far more likely to get drafted and drafted higher. I mean maybe if he had zero chance at going to the NFL, then yeah, maybe you weigh some of the things you mention, but if your goal is NFL, then you have to put yourself in the best place to do that and prove yourself consistently against the best competition to improve your odds.

Reaction Score
Isn't it mandatory that schools allow these guys to return to finish their degrees now anyways? Thought i remembered that.

I think the bigger negative is i think some kids are chasing ghosts. Go into the portal thinking some schools is going to offer them NIL and nothing materializes but those are grown up risks and consequences. Life is hard sometimes.

Reaction Score
Whether it applies to Joly or not, who knows. But your point is reasonable, I think if you assume college athletics should be at least tangentially related to college education. In 4-5 years I have no doubt there will be reports about guys who progressively bigger payments for playing football or basketball at several different schools, never graduated and never saved and are now working at a car wash passing rumors about conference reorganization. Then there will be a big media circus about it, the NCAA or it’s successor will announce some new rule and it will all go away until next time.

Reaction Score
So you think by recognizing the players as employees that is gonna change anything? I doubt it. More likely outside contractors subject to non-compete clauses. Or gig workers like they are now.

Reaction Score
He is moving because he is setting himself up for a career, the NFL. Balling out at a competitive P4 team will be much better for his future earnings than making contacts for a job in NYC. Not sure when people are going to understand, that even if he got less NIL money, moving to a competitive P4 team is the choice that he should make for his future. The exposure to scouts and a national audience on a more regular basis, along with proving yourself at the top level of competition, makes it far more likely to get drafted and drafted higher. I mean maybe if he had zero chance at going to the NFL, then yeah, maybe you weigh some of the things you mention, but if your goal is NFL, then you have to put yourself in the best place to do that and prove yourself consistently against the best competition to improve your odds.
I apologize. I shouldn't have used Joly as an example as it obscured the point I was trying to make. The vast majority of college athletes, including football players, will not play their sport professionally. What is more important over the long run, a modest NIL payment or a college degree? Payments for college athletes is not new (weren't legal before) and there are many tales of athletes that didn't take advantage of their opportunities going to school.

And, I dismiss your claim that you need to go to a P4 to get noticed by the NFL. Last year, Old Dominion had as many players drafted as Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Miami, Utah, Wisconsin, and more than Arkansas, Florida St., Nebraska, Miss. St., West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Baylor, Arizona St., Missouri,...

Reaction Score
So you think by recognizing the players as employees that is gonna change anything? I doubt it. More likely outside contractors subject to non-compete clauses. Or gig workers like they are now.
Well the non compete clauses would solve the issue zoo was complaining about, so yeah it would change the situation.

Though non competes are illegal in most states so I doubt they would do that. More likely they sign contracts that give the school some compensation for when a player transfers

Reaction Score
Some of the best networking done in college is done within sports teams. The same connections a player could have made at their old school they'll make at their new school, if not better at top programs.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I apologize. I shouldn't have used Joly as an example as it obscured the point I was trying to make. The vast majority of college athletes, including football players, will not play their sport professionally. What is more important over the long run, a modest NIL payment or a college degree? Payments for college athletes is not new (weren't legal before) and there are many tales of athletes that didn't take advantage of their opportunities going to school.

And, I dismiss your claim that you need to go to a P4 to get noticed by the NFL. Last year, Old Dominion had as many players drafted as Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Miami, Utah, Wisconsin, and more than Arkansas, Florida St., Nebraska, Miss. St., West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Baylor, Arizona St., Missouri,...
If a student like Joly is able to secure and save/invest NIL money while getting his degree at another school, it’s probably a good move regardless whether they have NFL-aspirations or not.

Of course, if they transfer and then have a bunch of fun wasting the NIL money… it was probably a mistake. I guess we will just have to give a bunch of 20 years olds a bunch of money and see how it plays out!

Reaction Score
If a student like Joly is able to secure and save/invest NIL money while getting his degree at another school, it’s probably a good move regardless whether they have NFL-aspirations or not.

Of course, if they transfer and then have a bunch of fun wasting the NIL money… it was probably a mistake. I guess we will just have to give a bunch of 20 years olds a bunch of money and see how it plays out!
If you are getting hundreds of thousands of dollars of NIL, and not many are, sure, take the money. But, how many college athletes are going to even get $50k? And, that is before taxes so take home is significantly less. A solid career is like a 40 year growing annuity which is way more valuable.

Reaction Score

NIL is important. The NFL is important.

But Joly seems to have a healthy chip on his shoulder. He was ignored by almost everyone coming out of High School. Even UMass wasn't interested. Credit to Mora's team for seeing the immense value.

I think he wants to play for a bigger program on a bigger stage. And I get that even if I am disappointed. He played his tail off for us this season when we had two or three players bail on the team in season.

I still believe that UConn would be the best place for him because the program would be really invested in him and he would be our showpiece on offense. At a bigger program he will just be another toy to play with.

Reaction Score
Well the non compete clauses would solve the issue zoo was complaining about, so yeah it would change the situation.

Though non competes are illegal in most states so I doubt they would do that. More likely they sign contracts that give the school some compensation for when a player transfers

Yes! A transfer fee paid to the losing school. This could actually be really healthy for college football.

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings here... he was great 2 years ago, then hurt and Ruelas played even better last year. Not sure why Ruelas lost out to him this year, and even worse, now both are gone.

No bueno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom