UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 20 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
NIL money? Of course they are getting W-2s. These are neither gifts nor cash delivered in paper bags. (not that I'm saying cash delievred in paper bags as gifts isn't happening any more.)
There are zero NIL athletes getting W-2s. None of them are employees of the people that give them money. Does Paige now work for Gatorade? Is she getting a 401k from them?

Point is, they are not getting taxes taken out and they probably do not have the advice that taxes should be set aside if they are not in some huge deal with responsible parties being involved. It is unfortunate, but probably the case in most instances. Going to be huge tax implications for kids they do not yet realize.

Reaction Score
Clercius drop % in 2022 was 17.2% which is way too high plus he had a fumble. And, he had a couple of drops this year so I think the coaches lost confidence. Porter's drop % this year was 4.3%.
have no trouble believing that. Don’t you have t balance that by asking how many big plays Porter made to help us win?

Reaction Score
have no trouble believing that. Don’t you have t balance that by asking how many big plays Porter made to help us win?
I think the math isn’t quite that simple. If one guy is making catches and the other guys isn’t, but made some big ones in the past, but isn’t making plays, I think you go with the the guy catching the ball.. I liked Clercius. And it wasn’t like we had lots of guys who could make plays. But heck, you can’t fail to make catches. The other thing is that you are looking in hindsight. Who is more likely to make a big play, the guy who is catching the ball or the one who can’t?

Reaction Score
If you look at Porter's stats at New Mexico in 2022, he dropped 0 passes and had a decent season. At UConn this past year, he was targeted the 4th most times, about half as many times as each of the top 3 Joly, Buckman, and Ross and he was targeted for deeper balls than any of the regular receivers which generally means the completion % should be lower. I do think the offense was not focused on vertical passing so I don't really blame Porter who was lined up as the vertical threat for not having more impact.

Reaction Score
If you look at Porter's stats at New Mexico in 2022, he dropped 0 passes and had a decent season. At UConn this past year, he was targeted the 4th most times, about half as many times as each of the top 3 Joly, Buckman, and Ross and he was targeted for deeper balls than any of the regular receivers which generally means the completion % should be lower. I do think the offense was not focused on vertical passing so I don't really blame Porter who was lined up as the vertical threat for not having more impact.
Eye test tells me Porter wasn't really creating separation too often. He was missed deep a few times early, but overall it didn't seem he got open like that.

Clercius during his time here seemed to battle for contested passes a lot of the time. The TD at Vanderbilt from Krajewski comes to mind.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can’t say I’m surprised by Kevin Clercius going. Last year, he made two of the three biggest plays our offense made to get us to 6-6. The long sideline reception against Fresno and the late post TD against Liberty (the third being Jolly’s run after catch for the early TD against BC). This year, he barely got a sniff while we lost game after game running out Porter who contributed very very little. One weird part of the year is how many players who helped us to 6-6 last year got buried on the bench while we started 1-9. Again, maybe each individual move made sense but very weird.
Have to say i totally agree here. He was buried behind a bunch of transfers who did very little. Porter and Burns? Really?

There was almost optimism that players who had led UConn to the 6-7 record in 2022 were being leap frogged on the depth chart by transfers.

After all, if the players did well in year one under Mora were being beat out by newcomers, the newcomers must be good, right?

Turns out that mindset was all wrong. Across the board on offense, defense and special teams leaders from 2022 were shut out at the beginning of 2023.

Reaction Score
There was almost optimism that players who had led UConn to the 6-7 record in 2022 were being leap frogged on the depth chart by transfers.

After all, if the players did well in year one under Mora were being beat out by newcomers, the newcomers must be good, right?

Turns out that mindset was all wrong. Across the board on offense, defense and special teams leaders from 2022 were shut out at the beginning of 2023.
Who was shut out? Maybe QB, but based on how Roberson looked this year, I don't believe he was 100% recovered from his injury at the start of the season. RB? I don't think so. Houston was running about as much as last year and Brewton didn't run that much in 2022. WR? If you are talking Clercius, he had major drop problems in 2022. Kicker? Maybe. Defense? What players were shut out?

Like I said, you could argue about who should start at QB, but Turner had one the lowest PFF QB grades of any FBS starting QB in 2022. I think the coaches wanted to redshirt and develop him this year if he wasn't head and shoulders better than the other QBs. And, Roberson was recovering from injury and didn't appear to be 100% at the start of the season. I would have bet that he would have won the position during the season, but his legs did not seem 100% this season as he didn't scramble or run until the very end of the season.

The bottom line is that we needed better offensive skill talent and at LB. LBs were a step down from last year with the loss of Bouyer-Randle and Swenson as they weren't replaced.

Reaction Score

Like who?

Fagnano?

Reaction Score
The transfer portal is going SuperNova this year. I cannot believe the number of kids transferring......those that thought the COVID years would have a one time inflationary effect are gonna be in for a big surprise.

It's like if you registered any sort of fair to middling stat line in the '23 season you're shopping it. Unreal. The QBs alone.....Mora should legit be able to throw a dart and pick off no less than two kids. There's no reason to go into next season without an actual-factual viable signal caller.

Interior offensive line looks to be a particularly fertile position group this year.

Somebody get the Mashantuckets and Mohegans on he phone STAT.
There will not be many transfers next year then. It is transitory.

Reaction Score
If it's 1099 income they can offset it on their 1040 with all kinds of expenses. W2 income is THE WORST type of income from a tax perspective.
mehh.. it's a little messier than that. The expenses have to be related to "the business". How many expenses are scholarship athletes that are given everything incurring that can be classified as "business" expenses related to NIL obligations? They also owe the social security and medicare taxes related to both employee and employer as a 1099 employee. So 15.3% off the bat. That's why contractors charge so much more hourly than a W2 employee.

I wonder if this all snowballs in the future where it comes up as a tax law case too that if you are an NIL athlete, if suddenly the scholarship received from the school falls into the territory of compensation compared to non NIL athletes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if this all snowballs in the future where it comes up as a tax law case too that if you are an NIL athlete, if suddenly the scholarship received from the school falls into the territory of compensation compared to non NIL athletes.
Should be taxable I would think. You gotta QB making a million or two? Why would the value of tuition room and board also not be taxable?

Reaction Score
It should be taxed. Either w2, 1099, or gift tax. Will affect parents as they willlose deduction on their taxes

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Should be taxable I would think. You gotta QB making a million or two? Why would the value of tuition room and board also not be taxable?
NIL money is absolutely taxable- as it should be.

Scholarships and money for qualified educational expenses is generally exempt from income taxes. However if you receive more than you need then the extra portion is likely taxable.

Details here:

Reaction Score
or kids were drafted before adults because it wouldn't disrupt the workforce, economy, etc.
Guessing most at 18 are out of hs, or seniors. They can vote, they can die, can’t drink, can’t rent a car. Yeah, they’re tweeners.

Reaction Score
The tax obligations of NIL are going to open up new employment opportunities. There are also going to be nightmare stories for kids who have families and hangers on that spend the money and do not consider tax obligations especially if there is no withholding done by providers.

Reaction Score
The tax obligations of NIL are going to open up new employment opportunities. There are also going to be nightmare stories for kids who have families and hangers on that spend the money and do not consider tax obligations especially if there is no withholding done by providers.

Yeah you can already find people on Linked In who are in the “NIL Space”.

Reaction Score
mehh.. it's a little messier than that. The expenses have to be related to "the business". How many expenses are scholarship athletes that are given everything incurring that can be classified as "business" expenses related to NIL obligations? They also owe the social security and medicare taxes related to both employee and employer as a 1099 employee. So 15.3% off the bat. That's why contractors charge so much more hourly than a W2 employee.

Scholarship could be modified to becoming a tuition waiver like you do for graduate assistants

Edit: forgot tuition waiver doesn't include room and board. Either way scholarships have been given out for various people who aren't athletes for a long time. If they become employees it might be taxable but not yet. Even then it's not like scholarship students can't work for the school

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the team is made up of players like bin Wahad who come for a year, show they can play and move on, it will be much less fun following and being emotionally invested in the team. Between all the losing and the changes in the way rosters come about, I really feel like my interest is hanging by a thread.
You are not alone for sure, my party of four are considering one more season.

Love Joly, hate to see him leave. My bone is the insincerity is a crotch kick in the footballs of the love / passion for UConn football expressed. Fake praise is simply obvious with statements on the future of UConn football of greatness. If it were a real belief one would not be leaving. BS 101........

Reaction Score
Laughable that there is a thread pinned to the top of the board about not speculating on who might transfer out. Not a problem. The players themselves are rushing to tell us. :(

Reaction Score
If you look at the players hitting the portal, here is how I would look at it.

Players that had a role that we don't want to go:
4: Joly (starter), Houston (rotation), Brewton (returner), and Bin-Wahad (starter)

Players who have been here 5 years already:
2: Clercius (backup) and Dixon-Willams (starter)

Players who have been here 4 years already:
2: Nilay (LS starter) and Hooper (backup)

QB on the depth chart:
1: Turner (backup)

Transfers that didn't work out:
2: Mitchell (backup) and Burns (backup)

Walk-on without a scholarship:
1: Ruelas (I guess backup)

Odd transfer that seemed off from the start:
1: Shor (depth)

Only 3 players were at UConn 1 year.

Reaction Score
Matt Rhule is complaining that NEBRASKA is getting screwed. LSU isn’t happy. The former Syracuse coach complained they lost all their depth. It isn’t just G5. The whole system stinks worse than a New York City subway mens room.

Honestly, I think NIL alone could have worked. The transfer portal alone Might have worked. But the combination is just a disaster. Whoever thought letting everybody transfer without limitation and get unlimited NIL was just blind.
Or, maybe it was planned and put in place as the path to finally doing what the powers have wanted reduce D1 football to a couple super conferences with select teams.

Reaction Score
or kids were drafted before adults because it wouldn't disrupt the workforce, economy, etc.
Or you are just plain wrong, these football players are adults.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom