UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
This is true. Water always finds its level. There is gonna come a time when money will be deployed in a much more smart manner at these schools.

But, right now, it’s a new market and no one knows what they can promise. I think these NILs should find a way to get paid back if leave early. There has to be a financial penalty for this, like any other business.

I like the idea of a transfer fee. Tennessee pays UConn $1 million for Joly’s rights.
Yes!
Transfer fee (risk/reward payment).
Makes a lot of sense.
School A pays for facilities, coaching and training staffs, etc. and yet the player can jump with no compensation for taking a chance on said player, plus the time and money spent developing the player?

Reaction Score
When I was 18 I considered myself an adult. I dont think of them as kids. They are young adults, and know nothing, but I expect them to behave like adults.

I give all high school graduates the same respects as I would a 50 year old.
It must be awkward to just meet someone and immediately ask for proof they graduated from high school...........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
NIL deals are "annual" right? So I don't think there would be a clawback unless someone left in season. But they are all contractual - so the athletes need to understand what they are signing.

(and on a completely side note - how many of these athletes are going to end up with big IRS problems)

Reaction Score
NIL deals are "annual" right? So I don't think there would be a clawback unless someone left in season. But they are all contractual - so the athletes need to understand what they are signing.

(and on a completely side note - how many of these athletes are going to end up with big IRS problems)
NIL deals have no stipulation to be annual. Take Paige's deal with Gatorade, it is multi year. The collective is essentially the same as Gatorade, so they have the opportunity to make a deal as long as they please, but one would have to imagine that it has stipulations for playing on that particular team if it is a team's collective.

On your side note, that is definitely going to be a monster problem. Since the players are not getting w2s, and a ton of the smaller to medium deals probably do not involve some agent, then there is probably a huge hole in the kid's circle in that area of advice.

Reaction Score
NIL deals have no stipulation to be annual. Take Paige's deal with Gatorade, it is multi year. The collective is essentially the same as Gatorade, so they have the opportunity to make a deal as long as they please, but one would have to imagine that it has stipulations for playing on that particular team if it is a team's collective.

On your side note, that is definitely going to be a monster problem. Since the players are not getting w2s, and a ton of the smaller to medium deals probably do not involve some agent, then there is probably a huge hole in the kid's circle in that area of advice.
I would think the players would/should be getting 1099s...

Reaction Score
It must be awkward to just meet someone and immediately ask for proof they graduated from high school...........:rolleyes:
I just assume everyone 18 graduated and act accordingly. It really isn’t that hard.

Like if you didn’t graduate and are 19, I still treat you like an adult.

Reaction Score

NIL money? Of course they are getting W-2s. These are neither gifts nor cash delivered in paper bags. (not that I'm saying cash delievred in paper bags as gifts isn't happening any more.)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
NIL money? Of course they are getting W-2s. These are neither gifts nor cash delivered in paper bags. (not that I'm saying cash delievred in paper bags as gifts isn't happening any more.)
I would think this is 1099 income rather than w-2....not that the distinction matters for your point that it is documented and reported income. Kids are about to learn about the tax man.

Reaction Score
I would think this is 1099 income rather than w-2....not that the distinction matters for your point that it is documented and reported income. Kids are about to learn about the tax man.
definitely, you need to be on the payroll to get W2

Reaction Score
IMG_5437.jpeg

Graduated and appears to be moving on

Reaction Score
Let’s just say every player in the country is in the portal, it might as well be. The UConn team we root for in September just have to assume it’s the last season on the planet for each season.

Reaction Score
When I was 18 I considered myself an adult. I dont think of them as kids. They are young adults, and know nothing, but I expect them to behave like adults.

I give all high school graduates the same respects as I would a 50 year old.
18 was the draft age. Old enough to be drafted, you're an adult.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i mean presumably the money would be year to year and would be given at specific times. Also, its always at the discretion of the giver. If its a contract to satisfy certain terms, fine. If its a wad of cash in the parking lot once every few weeks, whatever.

In the end, what's to pay back, they aren't being paid for the future.
Theoretically, at least, they are being paid for the rights to their name image or likeness. It has nothing to do with which school they are attending.

Loveandlistings GIF by VH1

Reaction Score
Take the NLI/Transfer Portal discussions here:

Or here: Hope these guys chasing a bag do their due diligence

Or here: How to start fixing the portal with one simple rule.

… or feel free to start your own thread on NIL/Portal concerns.

This thread was intended to track UConn Outbound Transfers for the 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle. It’s bloated to 18 pages and the portal isn’t even formally open for undergrads till Monday.

Thx!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
IMO, as long as we aren't losing starters to other G5 programs, we will be in a good place. Losing starters to P4 programs stinks, but as long as we can poach starters from other G5 programs, we will be fine.

Reaction Score
No, they're not.
Don't think many/any transfers are under 18.

"The age at which one is considered a legal adult in the US is typically 18. What defines a legal adult is ability to legally work, participate in contracts, vote, marry, give sexual consent, and join the military."

How many need their mommy to sign their NIL deals 'cause they are too young.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This is a dumb question, so forgive me, but are these players entering the portal because they don’t get enough playing time (like Turner) or because they think they can do better (like Joly)? In other words, how concerned should we be to see these players leaving UConn?

Reaction Score
JM pretty much cleaned house. Anybody actually left from Edsall 2.0?

Reaction Score
'Even most students don't consider themselves adults.

I'm 38 and don't consider myself an adult.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom