UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
A few hundred thousand dollars in NIL money just not going to move the UConn football needle. That money should be spread around to mens, women's BB and some Olympic sports. That is the new reality in D1 sports- more specifically football

Men’s and WBB already have their own NIL money. Why should football hand over their money?

I don’t get you people at all.

Reaction Score
To remain a fan we will need to adjust our view of the sport and our expectations. This same dynamic is playing out now at just about every school. Unless you are in the upper echelon of the sport (say 30 or so programs) you will be losing your best players each year and will need to reconfigure your roster. This is the reality for just about everyone, so the "woe is UConn" takes are not fair. We are in the same boat as just about everybody else in the G5. We can be successful if we have coaches who are able to navigate this new era.

Reaction Score
This is why pro leagues have salary caps and luxury taxes. College sports have none of that. I’m a huge UConn football supporter but wonder to what end anymore.

Just gonna put this here. IMO our inability to fundraise competitively for NIL has nothing to do with being independent and everything to do with the university’s malpractice funding football after Edsall left. Public interest dried up. Big donors went away because they didn’t want to throw good money after bad.

It’s gotta suck to be in that locker room seeing the most talented guys moving on and being left behind on a 1AA talent level team.

Not sure this is solveable without huge bags. Who’s willing to make that bet with their own money?

Reaction Score
Not great
Yeah this sucks, honestly the only guy we have lost so far that moves the needle IMO.

My naive brain made me think us being his only FBS offer would instill some loyalty, but he’s good, we stink and I can’t blame him for wanting to get the immediate bag AND potentially be in a position to get a real shot at the NFL.

Reaction Score
This whole process is just a mess. Not just us getting hurt. Indiana lost their quarterback and 4 offensive linemen. Somebody lost ALL their quarterbacks. Duke, Miami both lost starters.

It is the same for basketball, except we are one of the hunters. Heck our best player is from ECU. We have another from Rutgers.

As I said before, they should just announce there will be a game and anyone who wants to play should show up. The the coaches can take turns picking. Home team gets first pick.

The old sit for a year rule was actually not so bad. It required folks to seriously consider their decisions.

Reaction Score
Change our recruiting approach. Don’t sell them on NFL or NIL. Sell them on the playing time to get NIL bags via the portal. In the era of NIL and the transfer portal this is what the uconn program will always be - even if we go P4. Might as well embrace and maximize it.
Like I said on another thread, it this is the case, then all we've become is Stepping Stone U. At that point, I throw in the towel on college football.

Reaction Score
So many variables to the portal and kids are moving to upgrade while some will need to downgrade. Maybe some great high school recruits would rather play at UConn or G5 knowing they will start, rack up stats, and then transfer instead of riding the pine at a P4 program for 1 or 2 years. That might actually garner them a bigger payout when they transfer. Many different strategies to consider.

Reaction Score
It is free agency every year. You develop players for other places. The roster gets picked clean every year. We have to assume we are guy g to lose every good player with eligibility left. There is no more 4year players.
One of the down sides of playing P4 teams. It gives them an opportunity to play their second and third strings and to make a shopping list for the holiday season from the comfort of the press box. Merry Christmas, Tennessee. We hope you liked our buffet.

Reaction Score
A few hundred thousand dollars in NIL money just not going to move the UConn football needle. That money should be spread around to mens, women's BB and some Olympic sports. That is the new reality in D1 sports- more specifically football
Yeah, I think the business case is no longer there. Getting picked clean every year. Time to rethink. This is unsustainable.

Reaction Score
Yeah this sucks, honestly the only guy we have lost so far that moves the needle IMO.

My naive brain made me think us being his only FBS offer would instill some loyalty, but he’s good, we stink and I can’t blame him for wanting to get the immediate bag AND potentially be in a position to get a real shot at the NFL.
He was our only hope of the current recruiting model. Only FBS offer, clearly beloved by our community, praised constantly by the school, team, and local media, getting some NIL money with definitely more on the horizon. Still enters the portal immediately.

Reaction Score
Here is the key thing to remember - while it was inevitable that a player like Joly would leave, our 3-9 record was not inevitable. We can compete and win at the G5 level with the right leadership. Joly was recruited to UConn when the program was at its absolute lowest point. There are others our there, it's up to the staff to find them. If they do, we can be successful.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think the business case is no longer there. Getting picked clean every year. Time to rethink. This is unsustainable.

And yet Senn and Stafford said they were staying.

Win some and lose some. Don’t be a Drama Queen.

Justin Joly has options to play at bigger programs like Colorado, Tennessee and more. We cant expect to hold onto these guys. Bigger programs than us are losing talent upwards.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
And yet Senn and Stafford said they were staying.

Win some and lose some. Don’t be a Drama Queen.

Justin Joly has options to play at bigger programs like Colorado, Tennessee and more. We cant expect to hold onto these guys. Bigger programs than us are losing talent upwards.
I missed where Senn said he was staying. I saw Stafford was added to D'Amelio. Where was this?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If D'Amelio was talking to JJ as someone mentioned here, and still couldn't convince him to stay, seems we could be in a bigger hole than even Mora assumes.
It could well have more to do with where he could more easily be showcased as a potential early round pick, not merely how much cash he can get this offseason.

The hole is quite possibly a lot bigger than any of us are assuming but I have a strong suspicion that JM has a good handle on how large it is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This whole process is just a mess. Not just us getting hurt. Indiana lost their quarterback and 4 offensive linemen. Somebody lost ALL their quarterbacks. Duke, Miami both lost starters.

It is the same for basketball, except we are one of the hunters. Heck our best player is from ECU. We have another from Rutgers.

As I said before, they should just announce there will be a game and anyone who wants to play should show up. The the coaches can take turns picking. Home team gets first pick.

The old sit for a year rule was actually not so bad. It required folks to seriously consider their decisions.
Given the high-profile departures, I have to wonder whether we have a systematic problem, mainly being able to pony up the truckloads of cash that are currently the status quo for for NIL, or whether we have a clubhouse problem. I suppose it could be both.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think that this is the right way to play this, namely be happy for our guys, even though it sucks for the program. But if the future is our cobbling together a new team every year from the scraps that the P3 do not want, it becomes really hard to care much about the team. It feels more like we are fielding a bad semipro team then a college team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom