UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting speculation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i am sure the team would be refreshed by having beers throughout the upcoming season. it'd help them get through tough practices and games.

note that the beers repeatedly mentioned here is not REAgan --- like the '80s prez -- but RAEgan. i never have run across that name before and am curious whether anyone knows its origins.

i know it's easy to make goofs, but i implore posters to show proper respect and spell 'raegan' right if she does become a husky. i get irritated still when someone named stephanie is mentioned -- perhaps it's a reference to stefanie dolson.

and then there's nike ... who the heck is that?
The Greek goddess of victory.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I was thinking that ANY reasonable 6'6" player ( like Amari ) would be
very beneficial as part of a "scout" team... Plus Pania may develop over
her two years. Time will Tell. I thought that this was to be Amari's
role moving forward this year.
She would actually have 3 years to develop, she is a Freshman.

Reaction Score
Putting to rest any questions of how solid of a defender is Raegan Beers. A. Pili said Raegan Beers was the best post defender she played against this season. Raegan is a great shot blocker, makes a lot of steals from the post position, and is a great shot changer w/o fouling. And is the best defensive rebounder for her height. Raegan boxes out like nobody's business. Raegan is also very intelligent and the progress she made from freshman year to sophomore year was astounding. If UCONN is lucky enough to land Raegan Beers, UCONN fans will forget about anyone else playing in the post for the next 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
We are a good team. But lacking of experience. One superstar, four sophomores (two of them coming from a year of ups and downs), four freshmen, four upperclassmen returning from very heavy injuries and we don't know how strong they can compete. I think we need someone from the portal.

Reaction Score
Putting to rest any questions of how solid of a defender is Raegan Beers. A. Pili said Raegan Beers was the best post defender she played against this season. Raegan is a great shot blocker, makes a lot of steals from the post position, and is a great shot changer w/o fouling. And is the best defensive rebounder for her height. Raegan boxes out like nobody's business. Raegan is also very intelligent and the progress she made from freshman year to sophomore year was astounding. If UCONN is lucky enough to land Raegan Beers, UCONN fans will forget about anyone else playing in the post for the next 2 seasons.
Hope you're right and we land her. Her filling in the 5 position with Jana coming back from a serious injury plus no real college experience will be huge for Uconn and would allow Jana to come along at her pace without feeling the pressures to perform at the 5 position right away

Reaction Score
Making blocks is not the real measure of a good defensive player. Can she keep the player she is guarding in front of her and stay between her and the basket. Also, can she stop the other player from doing what she is attempting to do such as pass, getting to a certain spot or score? Some players block shots simply because they are tall.
How true. Donyell Marshall won Big East Defensive Player of the Year because of blocked shots. Calhoun, "he couldn't guard a chair".

Reaction Score
Oregon State fans could only dream about feeling how UConn fans felt after the 2012-2013 season. UConn's roster upon joining the AAC included Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, KML, Hartley, Dolson, Stokes, Chong. No player left UConn because of the AAC. UConn went on to win 3 straight national championships as a member of the AAC.

The circumstances are not remotely similar.
I think the quote from Tennessee that year was “as long as the sign over the door says ‘Head Coach Geno Auriemma,’ UConn will be fine.”

Reaction Score
Personally, I'd rather Ice start at center. I don't think there's a need for large, traditional post when you look at the competition next season
Are you sampling some of them weird mushrooms? If you really want a non-traditional post, I'm sure Q would love to give it a try as long as she gets a green light to shoot threes.....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Oh My God Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
UConn was one of five finalists for Iriafen, along with Baylor, Notre Dame and UCLA.

If academics are a deciding factor, the latter two should be the front runners. If location, UCLA has edge. If she wants to branch out, the door in Storrs is WIDE open.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we are in a position to get one of them (Iriafen or Beers), i would go with Beers as i think that a 5 is a bigger need for UConn than a 4. I don't see both coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
If we are in a position to get one of them (Iriafen or Beers), i would go with Beers as i think that a 5 is a bigger need for UConn than a 4. I don't see both coming to UConn.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_210428_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_210428_ESPN.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 157

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t get hung up on the 4 vs 5 thing. Iriafen is 1 inch shorter than Beers and considerably more athletic. In addition, Iriafen frequently played the post whenever Brink was on the bench or in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t get hung up on the 4 vs 5 thing. Iriafen is 1 inch shorter than Beers and considerably more athletic. In addition, Iriafen frequently played the post whenever Brink was on the bench or in foul trouble.
I'm not greedy............I'd be thrilled if UConn got either one of them..........at this point, we simply have no idea what they're thinking so I'm not counting my chickens.......... I mean basketball players........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hypothetical question: I'm not sure we could get either Iriafen or Beers, but if we could, would we want both?

Reaction Score
Hypothetical question: I'm not sure we could get either Iriafen or Beers, but if we could, would we want both?
Yes. If for no other other reason than to keep them off other teams.

Be truly we last 6 players this year to season ending injuries. Ended the year with 6.5 playable players. Take everyone because you don’t know what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom