UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Reaction Score
No lineup analysis, please. Use one of the other 3,563 threads for that. Also, DO NOT trash other players or coaches, that will get this thread shut down immediately.

UConn recruiting speculation welcome here!

Reaction Score

I just have a really good feeling we could get Lara Somfai. She has talked/posted about her visit to UConn on multiple occasions. I also love that she seemingly has been a UConn fan since she was a kid (that always gives a team the leg up when it comes to recruiting in my eyes). So glad to hear that she enjoyed her visit!

Reaction Score
All of a sudden I can not upload screenshots to the Boneyard (so go to Instagram if you want to see it for yourself), but Lara Somfai has reposted an Instagram post from the Minnesota Lynx about Dorka Juhasz being back with the team. Lara commented “She’s back!” Not sure if Lara is a Lynx fan or perhaps a fan of Dorka from her time at UConn. Call me delusional but I have a good feeling about Lara committing to UConn by the end of this year and this is just helping to feed my delusion!

Reaction Score
All of a sudden I can not upload screenshots to the Boneyard (so go to Instagram if you want to see it for yourself), but Lara Somfai has reposted an Instagram post from the Minnesota Lynx about Dorka Juhasz being back with the team. Lara commented “She’s back!” Not sure if Lara is a Lynx fan or perhaps a fan of Dorka from her time at UConn. Call me delusional but I have a good feeling about Lara committing to UConn by the end of this year and this is just helping to feed my delusion!
Lara has fam in Hungary apparently? So there's a nationality tie there.
She also has posted Nika Muhl highlights.

I think we definitely get her. My assumption for the 2 other schools she's visiting are Stanford and Duke, because VTech and Tennessee would have to remake offers for her because of staff change.

If her goal is the WNBA, UCONN. Duke's Kara Lawson is a decent coach, but she hasn't had many years where she can have a good defense and offense at the same time. Stanford is under rebuild.

If her goal is education, Duke or Stanford. But UCONN is a top 10 Public university I think, and she does have a photo of herself in a UCONN jersey from a few years back.

If we weigh the pros and cons:

Pros for Duke: Excellent education, crazy fanbase, good atmosphere.
Cons: Lara would probably be fighting for playtime behind Fournier, Emsbo, and Roberson.

Pros for Stanford: Great Education, legendary program. Her father also seems to have personal ties to the school.
Cons: Legendary coach moved on. Program is under severe rebuild right now.

Pros for UCONN: Decent education, legendary program w/ the coach, her teammate Kelis committed to us as well, so she will have someone she gels with almost immediately.
Cons: Would be fighting for PT behind Jana, and possibly Big O in the future. There's also the possibility of Geno retiring before her 4 years are over.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think we definitely get her. My assumption for the 2 other schools she's visiting are Stanford and Duke, because VTech and Tennessee would have to remake offers for her because of staff change.

If her goal is the WNBA, UCONN. Duke's Kara Lawson is a decent coach, but she hasn't had many years where she can have a good defense and offense at the same time. Stanford is under rebuild.

If her goal is education, Duke or Stanford. But UCONN is a top 10 Public university I think, and she does have a photo of herself in a UCONN jersey from a few years back.

Cons: Lara would probably be fighting for playtime behind Fournier, Emsbo, and Roberson.

Pros for Stanford: Great Education, legendary program. Her father also seems to have personal ties to the school.

Pros for UCONN: Decent education, legendary program w/ the coach, her teammate Kelis committed to us as well, so she will have someone she gels with almost immediately.
Cons: Would be fighting for PT behind Jana, and possibly Big O in the future. There's also the possibility of Geno retiring before her 4 years are over.
I think the one thing about Lara Somfai that makes me think she’ll choose UConn over any other school is that she was clearly a fan as a child. Ultimately, I think that because Sarah Strong was a Uconn fan as a child and had aspirations to become a UConn player, that is really what drove her decision to commit. It would only make sense that Lara Somfai also had childhood aspirations to play at UConn.

Reaction Score
But UCONN is a top 10 Public university I think, and she does have a photo of herself in a UCONN jersey from a few years back.
UConn is absolutely an excellent university academically. I'd rank it next to the best of the UC system or UNC or UVa or UMich. And these schools compare very well to the top private schools academically, at least for undergrads.

Reaction Score
UConn is absolutely an excellent university academically. I'd rank it next to the best of the UC system or UNC or UVa or UMich. And these schools compare very well to the top private schools academically, at least for undergrads.
I believe we're about 20th in the rankings of public universities in terms of academics, with the top ten mostly University of California campuses. Plus Virginia and Michigan. Good, but not top 10.

Reaction Score
I believe we're about 20th in the rankings of public universities in terms of academics, with the top ten mostly University of California campuses. Plus Virginia and Michigan. Good, but not top 10.
I don't trust those rankings. As an insider, I've seen how that sausage is made. The difference between UCLA or Cal and UConn is not significant.

Reaction Score
I think the one thing about Lara Somfai that makes me think she’ll choose UConn over any other school is that she was clearly a fan as a child. Ultimately, I think that because Sarah Strong was a Uconn fan as a child and had aspirations to become a UConn player, that is really what drove her decision to commit. It would only make sense that Lara Somfai also had childhood aspirations to play at UConn.
Just watched a highlight reel from WBL1 (?) posted previously on The Boneyard, and she is spectacular! Reminds me of Breanna Steward. She could play defense under the basket as a post, then play anywhere and everywhere- Breanna style!- on offense. Really spectacular!

Reaction Score
At this point it would be a major surprise and disappointment if Lara didn't choose Uconn. I suspect she will be the star of the 2025 recruiting class. ASGR has her third overall. They also have Gandy around 25 or 26 if I remember right and Kellis higher than HoopGirls.

She and the big O the following year are the players that seem to have all signs pointing toward Uconn. For the many other players we are potentially pursuing it seems like we are in the hunt and maybe on a few short lists, but other than that not many clues IMO.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
At this point it would be a major surprise and disappointment if Lara didn't choose Uconn. I suspect she will be the star of the 2025 recruiting class. ASGR has her third overall. They also have Gandy around 25 or 26 if I remember right and Kellis higher than HoopGirls.

She and the big O the following year are the players that seem to have all signs pointing toward Uconn. For the many other players we are potentially pursuing it seems like we are in the hunt and maybe on a few short lists, but other than that not many clues IMO.
i think i have heard such assurances before (sadly).

like a. boston, and the tall, highly ranked girl, from penn. (?), who settled on n.c. (?) or n.c. state (?) -- someplace down south -- and then was injured (her name has been wiped from my mind; she obviously should have been a husky ... based on her injury misfortune she would have been a perfect fit. :( )

i'm sure there have been many others who disappointed us. let's hope your optimism is right on though.

Reaction Score
i think i have heard such assurances before (sadly).

like a. boston, and the tall, highly ranked girl, from penn. (?), who settled on n.c. (?) or n.c. state (?) -- someplace down south -- and then was injured (her name has been wiped from my mind; she obviously should have been a husky ... based on her injury misfortune she would have been a perfect fit. :( )

i'm sure there have been many others who disappointed us. let's hope your optimism is right on though.
This one has different circumstances though.

Lara’s Top 5 have dwindled to Top 3 due to coaching changes.

She’s following everyone from UCONN, including the general UCONN account.

She’s been a fan since she was little it appears? There’s a pic with her in a jersey.

Shortly after taking her UCONN visit, she unpinned her Top 5 post. Typically recruits do that once they’ve figured out where to go, or they delete it entirely.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This one has different circumstances though.

Lara’s Top 5 have dwindled to Top 3 due to coaching changes.

Not sure you can make this assumption. Not all players bail after coaching changes. Iowa just lost Bluder and their recruits are still committed.

Reaction Score
Not sure you can make this assumption. Not all players bail after coaching changes. Iowa just lost Bluder and their recruits are still committed.
She stated that she plans on only taking 3 total visits (1 to UCONN, 2 others in October) That’s where my assumption comes from.

Reaction Score

Duke wbb has a crazy fanbase?

Reaction Score
Duke wbb has a crazy fanbase?
Cameron crazies in general. Some of them definitely show up. And with WBB becoming more popular, they might gather more fans.

It’s more speculation they may get a bigger fan base. Lots of people seem to be interested in Fournier for the dunking ability.

Reaction Score

In this interview with Lara Somfai, she was asked which 3 past or present players would she like to have dinner with. She said one of the players would have been Paige Bueckers (but she already got to have dinner with her), she also said Maya Moore was another one of the players! I’m liking her answers. Also, I’m not intending for this to be a thread only about Lara Somfai speculation, she’s just the only recruit right now that is giving any information to speculate about lol.

Reaction Score

In this interview with Lara Somfai, she was asked which 3 past or present players would she like to have dinner with. She said one of the players would have been Paige Bueckers (but she already got to have dinner with her), she also said Maya Moore was another one of the players! I’m liking her answers.

Lara, just say you're a Husky at this point lmao.
Also, I’m not intending for this to be a thread only about Lara Somfai speculation, she’s just the only recruit right now that is giving any information to speculate about lol.
Who else have we given an offer to for 2025? I've heard from many that Brynn McGaughy has one, and some say she doesn't. Despite us being her dream school. Huge blunder on Geno's part if she doesn't have one yet.

Reaction Score

You get as good an education as you want to and are willing to get. If you want to get an excellent education at UConn, it's there for you.

Reaction Score
Lara, just say you're a Husky at this point lmao.

Who else have we given an offer to for 2025? I've heard from many that Brynn McGaughy has one, and some say she doesn't. Despite us being her dream school. Huge blunder on Geno's part if she doesn't have one yet.
It's a gamble, but the decision by Macy and what seems to be some interest but not top priority in McGaughy, further strengthens my belief that the odds for Lara are very good. My suspicion is we were in the fortunate position to have 3 PF type very good players that liked us a lot in the same class.

Macy, McGaughy and Somfai have all indicated a strong like for Uconn. But unfortunately they overlap, and we probably are interested in just one of them, and to the other two, it probably looks like Lara is the first preference, and they are game ,plan B and C. In Macy's case she might have said I'm not going to wait and moved on. McGaughy could do the same. I think we get Lara, but if we don't and plan B and C are off the table even though they all like Uconn, that will really hurt.

Obviously there is a lot of pure speculation in that opinion, but like this year, we have a potential roster space issue next year. One of the above may well be it for the 2025 class with Kellis and Gandy. In the event there is room for one more I would expect it to be a wing.

Reaction Score
It's a gamble, but the decision by Macy and what seems to be some interest but not top priority in McGaughy, further strengthens my belief that the odds for Lara are very good. My suspicion is we were in the fortunate position to have 3 PF type very good players that liked us a lot in the same class.

Macy, McGaughy and Somfai have all indicated a strong like for Uconn. But unfortunately they overlap, and we probably are interested in just one of them, and to the other two, it probably looks like Lara is the first preference, and they are game ,plan B and C. In Macy's case she might have said I'm not going to wait and moved on. McGaughy could do the same. I think we get Lara, but if we don't and plan B and C are off the table even though they all like Uconn, that will really hurt.

Obviously there is a lot of pure speculation in that opinion, but like this year, we have a potential roster space issue next year. One of the above may well be it for the 2025 class with Kellis and Gandy. In the event there is room for one more I would expect it to be a wing.
Did we actually offer Brynn though? There's a lot of contradicting info regarding her offer.

Reaction Score
Do we know if she’s visited? Not feeling very confident about this one.

Iowa. Hasn't even visited UCONN. She's raved about Iowa's coaching staff. Washington is also a possibility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do we know if she’s visited? Not feeling very confident about this one.

All of the top recruits in each class are pretty well aware of each other's abilities, offers, and in some cases preferences. With two kids the same size who basically play the same positions with such closely matched talents, it's been clear to me for awhile now that UConn was not going to get both in the same class with limited scholarships available. If it turns out that Somfai is in, she's one helluva player and all UConn needs for 2025.

Reaction Score
All of the top recruits in each class are pretty well aware of each other's abilities, offers, and in some cases preferences. With two kids the same size who basically play the same positions with such closely matched talents, it's been clear to me for awhile now that UConn was not going to get both in the same class with limited scholarships available. If it turns out that Somfai is in, she's one helluva player and all UConn needs for 2025.
Fair point. Somfai is criminally under ranked in ESPN's Top 100 right now. She's at #33, should probably be around 20-25z

Update: Brynn unfollowed UCONNWBB on Instagram. Currently follwing Iowa and Washington like I suspected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom