UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we had 10 players, picking up Liza would be a no-brainer. It’s less clear with 14, but still may be worth doing.

She’s definitely good enough and has the heart to run with the Huskies. Not as athletic as Ice or Aubrey or Ayanna, but a better shooter than Ayanna, and with the maturity of a grad student. She has good court savvy, knows how to make an outlet pass, and can defend at the 4, even if she’s overmatched at the 5.

Best of all, she knows who she is as a player.

Reaction Score
So, I guess we’re not interested in Timea Gardiner? Seems to me that if we’re not getting a 6’4” or above player, then the next best thing might be a 6’3” that shoots 40% from three! Of course, the fact that she has (I believe) two years left may eliminate her for us. I guess that answers my own question.

This does beg the question though, (I know Geno would not do this) but could a coach make a deal with a player that had multiple years of eligibility left, to play one year and then transfer away? Again, not suggesting it as it seems a bit sleazy but I am curious as to whether a coach could do it? Nothing would surprise me with this whole portal thing. People are experts at finding and taking advantage of loopholes in rules.

Reaction Score
That seems like voodoo. I like the idea of just bringing over a Senior from the portal if all you want is one single year; which frankly is probably what would be best in many situations.

Reaction Score
That seems like voodoo. I like the idea of just bringing over a Senior from the portal if all you want is one single year; which frankly is probably what would be best in many situations.
I think many are forgetting the roster issue. Neither Chen or potentially Karlen affects our ability to add a 2025 recruit, which now if everyone that could return did, stands at 1. So maybe we add say Somfai to our previous two commits. If we want to add any additional 2025 recruit we might not have an available spot.

If we add a two year player in the portal like Gardner, Dauda, or Barker, in theory we might not have any spots for 2025 recruits such as Somfai, Macy etc. So the question you have to ask is if an extra year of one of those three is worth potentially losing out on a 2025 recruit for 4 years.

For me the only players I would have said yes to that question for in the portal were Beers and Iriafen. The tier that is available now is a big drop-off and not worth it IMO, compared to a pretty good one year rental like Karlen who doesn't adversely affect our 2025 possibilities.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If we add a two year player in the portal like Gardner, Dauda, or Barker, in theory we might not have any spots for 2025 recruits such as Somfai, Macy etc. So the question you have to ask is if an extra year of one of those three is worth potentially losing out on a 2025 recruit for 4 years.

This only happens if Paige, Azzi, and CD all return and nobody transfers.

Reaction Score
So, I guess we’re not interested in Timea Gardiner? Seems to me that if we’re not getting a 6’4” or above player, then the next best thing might be a 6’3” that shoots 40% from three! Of course, the fact that she has (I believe) two years left may eliminate her for us. I guess that answers my own question.

This does beg the question though, (I know Geno would not do this) but could a coach make a deal with a player that had multiple years of eligibility left, to play one year and then transfer away? Again, not suggesting it as it seems a bit sleazy but I am curious as to whether a coach could do it? Nothing would surprise me with this whole portal thing. People are experts at finding and taking advantage of loopholes in rules.

Reaction Score
This only happens if Paige, Azzi, and CD all return and nobody transfers.
True, but that is possible, and if we add a two year player and only one of above leaves or we get a transfer we would only have one 2025 spot. It would take two not coming back or leaving to have two 2025 additional spots. I feel like one additional 2025 recruit is a must and think our odds for a 4 are very good, probably Somfai, but there are a couple of other 4's we have a decent chance for as well.

Beyond a very good 4, I'm not sure if one more is critical or not, but we are still pursuing a wing I believe, but our chances for that might be better in 2026 along with maybe the big O. I also think we are at a point where everyone on the roster could make a contribution. Am I hoping all of Paige, Azzi and Caroline return? an easy yes for Paige and Azzi, Caroline probably too, but not as obvious. As for other players there is nobody I am hoping leaves either, they may want to if they don't get enough time, but every player at this point looks like they could be a positive contributor at least in a minor role.

The probabilities regarding number of spots is hard to predict, but guaranteeing that there would be at least one spot for Somfai or another very good 4 has a certain value, and I'm not sure if Karlen as an example isn't as good as Barker or Dauda anyway. They are all pretty close IMO, so why even potentially jeopardize a 2025 recruit that we could have for four years? anyway I know many may disagree but that's the way I see it.

Reaction Score
From a very reliable source, I heard that it is Lauren Betts, and she would be elated if Connecticut would consider her. True Story! :rolleyes:
Lauren reposted Times Gardners commitment to UCLA on her Instagram story. And considering it’s just hours before the portal closes, I doubt this is true. But I would love to see her in a UConn jersey

Reaction Score
Literally ALL our post players have had serious season ending injuries in the past few years. Jana, Ayanna, Ice and Aubrey. There's no reason to think magically all 3 of them will be back and fully healthy for an entire year. I'll take any insurance Geno wants...
Take out the insurance policy and add the last player. I believe Karlen would be a good fit.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
True, but that is possible, and if we add a two year player and only one of above leaves or we get a transfer we would only have one 2025 spot.

The probabilities regarding number of spots is hard to predict, but guaranteeing that there would be at least one spot for Somfai or another very good 4 has a certain value, and I'm not sure if Karlen as an example isn't as good as Barker or Dauda anyway. They are all pretty close IMO, so why even potentially jeopardize a 2025 recruit that we could have for four years? anyway I know many may disagree but that's the way I see it.

If UConn gets a grad transfer then it doesn't take up a space in '25. Either way, UConn has the backcourt to compete for a title. They have talent but tons of question marks in the frontcourt. Clearly, UConn was not worried about a 2025 spot for a recruit when they went after Beers, and for good reason.

Reaction Score
Paige and Liza go way back. I am pretty sure they played AAU together and if not they definitely played against each other in the Minnesota State tournament.
In the game Paige did the jump ball with Liza, one of the announcers said Paige and Liza are good friends.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Literally ALL our post players have had serious season ending injuries in the past few years. Jana, Ayanna, Ice and Aubrey. There's no reason to think magically all 3 of them will be back and fully healthy for an entire year. I'll take any insurance Geno wants...
You have no choice but to take it.

Reaction Score
Lauren reposted Times Gardners commitment to UCLA on her Instagram story. And considering it’s just hours before the portal closes, I doubt this is true. But I would love to see her in a UConn jersey
Ya, I picked the most prominent center in the women’s collegiate game, and failed at what I thought was an obvious joke about ‘a reliable source’ telling some schlub like me insider information. Betts is certainly not going to leave Hollywood, although yes, I do agree that it would be nice to have her on the team!

Cheers!

Reaction Score
The team received Kaitlyn in lieu of Ines, a point guard, who transferred out. All things equal, that one will probably turn out for the best, but only time will tell.

The team also lost Amari to the transfer portal. That roster spot has yet to be filled. We will have to wait and see how that one plays out. But, I don’t think that Husky Nation should be disappointed if the team added either Dauda or Karlen.

Reaction Score
According to an SC fan site, Dawn is after Dauda as well.

Reaction Score
Perspective:

These two players played in the same conference, played the same power forward position, 2024 Stats:

Liza Karlen 17.7 Pts/game, 7.9 Reb/game, 2.1 AST/game, FG% 49.7

Aaliyah Edwards 17.6 Pts/game, 9.2 Reb/game, 2.1 AST/game, Can’t find %!!!

Reaction Score
Perspective:

These two players played in the same conference, played the same power forward position, 2024 Stats:

Liza Karlen 17.7 Pts/game, 7.9 Reb/game, 2.1 AST/game, FG% 49.7

Aaliyah Edwards 17.6 Pts/game, 9.2 Reb/game, 2.1 AST/game, Can’t find %!!!
Karlen also shot 35.7% from 3-pt and 82.2% on FTs.

Edwards shot 59.3% on FG, 74.7% on FTs with no 3-pt taken.

Reaction Score
All this hand wringing and conjecture is maddening. Time for looking for scraps from the portal table is over. Perhaps it was fun to some just being in the mix and relish in the anticipation of reading the daily posts. I will repeat a comment I made days ago... that being that while the US has the greatest potential talent mix, it did not go unnoticed that 3 or 4 young international players were in the first round of the WNBA draft and that perhaps there is one (or more) bigs in THAT market AND... who knows more about that environment than Geno.
E.G. Jana. So, hope is NOT lost and rest assured the search continues...

Reaction Score
Surprising, as her sister had committed to the Bruins. Hmmm.....

Surprising, as her sister had committed to the Bruins. Hmmm.....

I think Karlen would help our needs for this year ! I hope we go after her !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom