UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Would be curious to know who this might be. If it’s a “big time” post player, I would have to assume Geno would be going after her.

I don't know how much I'd put into this poster. I would take it with a grain of salt. With that being said, a player would have to enter the portal before 12am tonight to be able to play without sitting out.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Agreed because the pickings are getting slim. I do think it is conceivable that a player who might not have considered the portal much might rethink the issue if they knew a program like Uconn was hoping another difference making post player might enter. If allowed to dream, I might hope for a last second announcement from someone like Ayoka Lee, but at this point I would be surprised if any viable difference maker entered last second.
I am hoping for the same player.

Reaction Score
Ayoka Lee didn't opt for the transfer portal, and it is closed now. I would hope someone like Czech 6'5" built like a center ISNELLE NATABOU, who is leaving Iowa State, who I think is hungry for growth, (not an entitled spoiled American) and probably hoping for a starting spot somewhere (she got beat out by legitimately one of the best players in the country in Audi Crooks, would realize that being a locked in hungry backup player with backup court time and practice play time and coaching at UConn would be as good for her future as starting minutes at a mid major. And bonus I think only a one year left eligibility. just imo. Geno and staff I trust.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ayoka Lee didn't opt for the transfer portal, and it is closed now. I would hope someone like Czech 6'5" built like a center ISNELLE NATABOU, who is leaving Iowa State, who I think is hungry for growth, (not an entitled spoiled American) and probably hoping for a starting spot somewhere (she got beat out by legitimately one of the best players in the country in Audi Crooks, would realize that being a locked in hungry backup player with backup court time and practice play time and coaching at UConn would be as good for her future as starting minutes at a mid major. And bonus I think only a one year left eligibility. just imo. Geno and staff I trust.
It closes at midnight tonight

Reaction Score
And height has nothing to do with ability. Aneesah Morrow is 6-1 (10.0 reb/game), Angel Reese 6-3 (13.4 rpg), Saylor Poffenbarger is 6-2 (11.2 rpg), Villanova's Christina Dalce who is also in the portal is 6-2 (9.4 rpg), and so on.
I'm confused. Please help me understand your point.

Reaction Score
Looks like Ashlynn Shade and KK Arnold have recently followed Liza Karlen on Instagram!
I like Liza's game quite a bit, though she may seem a bit redundant on this roster. Still, she'd bring a little more maturity to the lineup. For some reason, I figured she'd fit ND better.

Reaction Score
A player doesn’t need to be 6-6 or 6-7 to get a lot of rebounds
From a different measure, Dennis Rodman was likely about 6'6" and he might be the greatest rebounder in NBA history, all the more impressive in that all the other leading rebounders were taller than him.

Reaction Score
So Karlen would not have been my first choice but if no Beers, Iriafen, or Dauda big type then Karlen for a year could be helpful upfront and improvementfrom Deberry. She has been great in Big East play. It's the big OOC games that she could struggle but maybe she would be fine giving 15-20 hard muscle minutes and not have to do 35+ minutes like at Marquette.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So Karlen would not have been my first choice but if no Beers, Iriafen, or Dauda big type then Karlen for a year could be helpful upfront and improvementfrom Deberry. She has been great in Big East play. It's the big OOC games that she could struggle but maybe she would be fine giving 15-20 hard muscle minutes and not have to do 35+ minutes like at Marquette.
Karlen was the focus of opponents’ defenses and still did well. Imagine how well she could do on a team with Jana and Ice.

I love her on court demeanor, her constant effort level. I wanted Liza when I knew she was in the portal

Reaction Score
From a different measure, Dennis Rodman was likely about 6'6" and he might be the greatest rebounder in NBA history, all the more impressive in that all the other leading rebounders were taller than him.
He was a great rebounder but, the greatest? Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russel were both far better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Karlen is a really good offensive player and rebounder. Her defense may be problematic. But I'd be happy to get her.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Karlen would not be a player to stop tall post players on other teams from scoring. She would not help the interior defense. Why get a player similar to what UConn already has? If they don't get an inside banger who can defend and rebound well, leave things as they are.

Reaction Score
Paige and Liza go way back. I am pretty sure they played AAU together and if not they definitely played against each other in the Minnesota State tournament.

Fun Fact:
The very last game that either of them ever played in their high school careers was against each other in the 4A MN State Championship, March 12, 2020. Hopkins won that game against Stillwater in what I think was the semifinals, but never allowed to play the Championship Game. The tournament was cancelled the very next day due to COVID.

A pic of the two of them from that game; Liza stuffing Paige, but appears to be a foul on the other forward:

Reaction Score
Surprising, as her sister had committed to the Bruins. Hmmm.....

Yes, a different, yet another 'completely reliable source' has indicated that the UConn coaching staff is also aware that her sister has committed to UCLA. Apparently, that is of great concern to Huskies management, and they are considering passing on her because of this. Something about her hating her little sister and not wanting to play on the same team is a bit of a character flaw... :eek:

This is a complete joke, nobody need to get upset. Lauren Betts is a complete stud of a player and of wonderful character! Her biggest flaw is that she plays for UCLA!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Karlen would not be a player to stop tall post players on other teams from scoring. She would not help the interior defense. Why get a player similar to what UConn already has? If they don't get an inside banger who can defend and rebound well, leave things as they are.
Literally ALL our post players have had serious season ending injuries in the past few years. Jana, Ayanna, Ice and Aubrey. There's no reason to think magically all 3 of them will be back and fully healthy for an entire year. I'll take any insurance Geno wants...

Reaction Score
Granted this is vs Butler but Karlen has shooting range out to the perimeter and is a good passer.

Nice highlight reel featuring Ms. Karlen. She would fit the mold of Huskie play with
the nice passing, give and go, drives to the basket and, of course, the steady
temperament. I particularly enjoyed her passes out to Hare (the three-point shooter).
Her passing in the flow of the game would be an important asset with UCONN's current
stock of perimeter shooters. But would it happen?
I thinking Geno stands " pat" unless something unique is going on... We'll know soon.

Reaction Score
Given the choices, she is one of the best left. The main question with her is if she is better than Ayanna or Ice. I expect Jana and Sarah to start, but hope we can upgrade Ayanna and Ice as backups. Based on their college performance thus far Karlen has been significantly better than our incumbent bench options. When Aubrey returns we will have one very good backup, two if we had Karlen and would not be dependent on whether Ayanna and Ice make quantum leaps.

If several of our bench bigs come thru, it would also enable us to use Sarah or Aubrey at the 3 as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom