UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While waiting on Beers big decision, thought I would pursue next step if we lost out on her. If that happens I think it is quite possible we don't add another big. We still have a potential future roster issue (2025 recruits) if we add any portal players with more than one year of eligibility left. If Paige, Azzi, and Caroline all returned along with everyone else we would have just one 2025 offer left, say Somfai for arguments sake.

That is unaffected by any portal addition for one year, but a two year or more player could reduce or eliminate our 2025 options for a four year recruit. Beers would be worth it, but I'm not sure there are any other bigs still available with more than one year that would be. Looking at one year options, there doesn't appear to be much left, and nothing near Beers or Iriafen level. Maybe King from Pittsburg, Karlen from Marquette, or Dalcy from Villanova.

We could still pick up a one year guard like Chen, but the remaining big options outside of Beers, with just one year left are limited. Of course the odds that another spot will open up for 25/26 are pretty high for many reasons but it isn't certain, so with the exception of Beers I don't think there is anyone else in the portal with more than one year remaining that we should pursue.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Likely this move had little to do with academics since she was transferring from one of the best schools in the US.
She graduates this Spring with degree in Product Design Engineering and will enroll in a grad school at USC. Pretty impressive.

Reaction Score

I for one, am a big fan of this move. I think Kaitlyn will add some experience and maturity to our team at the guard position (Paige will be the only returning guard to start the season with more than 2 years of experience.) And I love the fact that she averages almost 16 points per game. I think that she will help fill in Nika’s absence and even score a bit more than Nika did so that’s a plus too!

Reaction Score
A solid pick up.............as a Princeton player, Chen knows the UConn system as well as any transfer could.........odds are she's the only transfer for this season if Beers does the expected and signs with Oklahoma..........I'd think the Beers announcement will come as soon as former Oregon State associate head coach Jonas Chatterton's deal with Oklahoma is finalized......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we don’t get Beers, I’d hope that they’re still interested in Pania Davis, even if just for having an extra body. She has the height, mobility and Jamelle could probably do wonders for her development.

Reaction Score
If we don’t get Beers, I’d hope that they’re still interested in Pania Davis, even if just for having an extra body. She has the height, mobility and Jamelle could probably do wonders for her development.

From the video I've seen I'm not confident that Ms Davis is ready for a major role in the UConn system........she would most likely be a replacement for Amari Deberry........

Reaction Score
Could be, but just based on this video, she seems a lot more athletic than Amari. From observation, Amari just seemed to play carelessly. It’s like she refused to hustle.

Having Pania could also be another reason for Lara Somfai to commit (as they’re both Aussies).
Look at the competition she was playing against............she's still very much a work in progress and UConn has another one of those project posts coming in the following season...........I have a feeling Somfai is likely UConn bound regardless of fellow Aussies.....

Reaction Score
Look at the competition she was playing against............she's still very much a work in progress and UConn has another one of those project posts coming in the following season...........I have a feeling Somfai is likely UConn bound regardless of fellow Aussies.....

Do you think it’s Beers or bust? The last scholarship, of course, doesn’t have to be used.

Reaction Score
I'm still confident that BigMamaBeer is coming. Weeks ago, with Sarah still uncommitted, someone posted a video of Sarah saying that her favorite player was Stewie. Well, check out at 27:40 on this video.

Music to my ears! Lobo made this comparison and I thought it was spot on. It’s probably why she was interested in UConn to begin with. Hoping she becomes a Husky.

Reaction Score
Do you think it’s Beers or bust? The last scholarship, of course, doesn’t have to be used.
I do but for some reason, nobody at UConn WBB has called me to ask my learned opinion.........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Welp. Maybe that should now.

really disappointing because I believe she would have taken the team to another level but not a difficult prediction once one of her OSU coaches was miraculously offered a job at the very same school.........imagine that coincidence........I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when that discussion took place.......my guess is that coach Chatterton will only remain at Oklahoma while Beers plays there and will then put her hat in the ring for a head coaching position as she is considered an up and comer among younger coaches......

Reaction Score
While waiting on Beers big decision, thought I would pursue next step if we lost out on her. If that happens I think it is quite possible we don't add another big. We still have a potential future roster issue (2025 recruits) if we add any portal players with more than one year of eligibility left. If Paige, Azzi, and Caroline all returned along with everyone else we would have just one 2025 offer left, say Somfai for arguments sake.

That is unaffected by any portal addition for one year, but a two year or more player could reduce or eliminate our 2025 options for a four year recruit. Beers would be worth it, but I'm not sure there are any other bigs still available with more than one year that would be. Looking at one year options, there doesn't appear to be much left, and nothing near Beers or Iriafen level. Maybe King from Pittsburg, Karlen from Marquette, or Dalcy from Villanova.

We could still pick up a one year guard like Chen, but the remaining big options outside of Beers, with just one year left are limited. Of course the odds that another spot will open up for 25/26 are pretty high for many reasons but it isn't certain, so with the exception of Beers I don't think there is anyone else in the portal with more than one year remaining that we should pursue.
I would expect UConn to fill the spot in some way. A capable senior big would not take up future scholarships and provide some insurance.

Reaction Score
really disappointing because I believe she would have taken the team to another level but not a difficult prediction once one of her OSU coaches was miraculously offered a job at the very same school.........imagine that coincidence........I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when that discussion took place.......my guess is that coach Chatterton will only remain at Oklahoma while Beers plays there and will then put her hat in the ring for a head coaching position as she is considered an up and comer among younger coaches......
Would love to have her, but I kinda like that we win it all with limited players that weren’t originally recruited here.

Reaction Score
I would expect UConn to fill the spot in some way. A capable senior big would not take up future scholarships and provide some insurance.
Agreed. She would’ve taken a scholarship away for next season. But still would’ve been a nice addition. There’s still some bigs out there. We don’t necessarily need a scoring big. Just a rebound big who can kick it back out or put it back up.

Reaction Score
Okay, with Beers presumably off the board, who's left among the bigs that we might have an interest in? I'm a little too lazy to look it up, but I can think of Amina Muhammad from Texas, and Pania Davis, the JUCO player from New Mexico. Anyone else? Any thoughts on whether we'll pursue another player or just run with the front court we have?

Reaction Score
Agreed. She would’ve taken a scholarship away for next season. But still would’ve been a nice addition. There’s still some bigs out there. We don’t necessarily need a scoring big. Just a rebound big who can kick it back out or put it back up.
There are just a few remaining bigs with one year left of interest. Nobody that figures to be a big difference maker, and nothing close to Beers or Iriafen, but might be better than say Ayanna or Ice and provide insurance. I hope we get one of them, but with so few there is a chance we don't add anybody upfront. I only come up with Karlen from Marquette, King from Pittsburg, and Dalcy from Villanova as remaining possibilities.

Hopefully Beers surprises us and makes pursuing them irrelevant.

Reaction Score
There are just a few remaining bigs with one year left of interest. Nobody that figures to be a big difference maker, and nothing close to Beers or Iriafen, but might be better than say Ayanna or Ice and provide insurance. I hope we get one of them, but with so few there is a chance we don't add anybody upfront. I only come up with Karlen from Marquette, King from Pittsburg, and Dalcy from Villanova as remaining possibilities.

Hopefully Beers surprises us and makes pursuing them irrelevant.
Gardiner from Oregon State and the 6”6 juco transfer Pania Davis, janiah barker from Texas am as well.

Reaction Score
Okay, with Beers presumably off the board, who's left among the bigs that we might have an interest in? I'm a little too lazy to look it up, but I can think of Amina Muhammad from Texas, and Pania Davis, the JUCO player from New Mexico. Anyone else? Any thoughts on whether we'll pursue another player or just run with the front court we have?
I know nothing about Amina, though she seems talented. But she also has to fit in with the team.

I like Karlen, but at 6'2" she doesn't really fit the picture most here have for a big. Dalcy too, not all that big, and seems a bit temperamental judging only from her on court behaviour. I'd have the same questions about Barker.

Pania Davis will probably be a bench warmer for at least one season, maybe more.

I think you're last option is probably the most likely, and maybe the best -- just run with who we have.

Reaction Score
From the video I've seen I'm not confident that Ms Davis is ready for a major role in the UConn system........she would most likely be a replacement for Amari Deberry........
Like at guard, "depth" at a position is not to be under - appreciated. We may not "need" Pania Davis at the start of
this year, but it would be a great 'developmental' year for her. And she is Australian.... as is Lara Somfai. Lara is
also one of my preferred UCONN Recruits. .... In truth... I like them all!

Reaction Score
I'm still confident that BigMamaBeer is coming. Weeks ago, with Sarah still uncommitted, someone posted a video of Sarah saying that her favorite player was Stewie. Well, check out at 27:40 on this video.

Nice interview, Reagan comments at 27 minutes (etc.) in this segment that she admires STEPHANIE DOLSON! DON"T WE ALL!!!.
COME TO STORRS, Reagan and BE LIKE STEPHANIE!!

Reaction Score
IF Beers does end up at OU, I will be severely disappointed if we don’t manage to pick up a big from somewhere else. I would feel better if we had one.

Reaction Score
Gardiner from Oregon State and the 6”6 juco transfer Pania Davis, janiah barker from Texas am as well.
All of those players are interesting but have more than one year of eligibility, potentially limiting 2025 recruits. I think unless it is a true game changer, we are by definition limited to one year additions, which is a pretty short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom