UCONN on Delany's radar | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN on Delany's radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Ah crap, Connecticut is going to kick the crap out of the traditional B1G basketball powers when they join in 2015."

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
blk_0537_ncaa_m_tourney_east_reg_final-jpg.5541

"I forgot my UConn hat."

Reaction Score
Last weekend Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany was in attendance at the UCONN / Michigan State game and he heard and saw that we bring the NYC market, He'll be seeing UCONN again this weekend at the Final Four and we'll be bringinging the rest of the country..Great resume builders for our new conference...

View attachment 5541

My apologies if the following article has already been dissected on your board but a few quotes I found to be of interest.
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-uconn-men-women-final-four-0404-20140403,0,3139762.story
UConn Looks To Sell Itself With Both Teams In Final Four

The past three years have been painful for UConn. Conference realignment in college athletics has left the school on the outside looking in, with what could become long-term declines in revenue, especially from TV, and loss of national relevance. But the school has fought back using the oldest, most reliable weapon in its arsenal — winning men's and women's basketball games in the national spotlight.

"This is our front porch in a sports-minded country," UConn President Susan Herbst said Thursday. "As an academic, worrying about the research mission and development of UConn, you cannot buy the kind of media we get through athletics. It's true for
Michigan. It is true for Ohio State. It is true for all the great places. They would not trade [athletic accomplishment] for anything."

The most important benefit that UConn could reap from its success this month is to draw the attention of one of the so-called power conferences.

"That depends on whether or not you think the shake-up is over," Rovell said.

It has been quiet lately but that does not mean it will stay that way.

"Realignment is a dynamic that is not in our control," Herbst said. "It's not like we can go around, show PowerPoint presentations to prove how great UConn is that will make people fall down in admiration. It's not how this works. We need to win. We need to win a lot, across the sports. We need to take care of our student-athletes and we have to do well in school."

One common thread in the recent shake-up has been a desire on the part of conferences to tap into the New York market. The ACC looked for it in adding Syracuse, the Big Ten in inviting Rutgers, a decision it could now be second-guessing. UConn fans filled
Madison Square Garden last week during the NCAA Tournament.

"We are taking advantage of every opportunity we have, like at Madison Square Garden last weekend," Herbst said. "Fairfield County? New York City? We are New York's college team. I don't think it could be any more evident than it was in the Garden."

Herbst mentioning UConn along with Michigan and Ohio State.
Herbst mentioning how the athletic success of UConn makes your university a desirable candidate in conference realignment.
Herbst mentioning UConn as New York's college team.
If UConn is not on Delany's radar, then Herbst appears to be moving it in a direction to put it there.
Congrats on your basketball success this year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The person in charge of Rutgers athletics.

Steve Politi ‏@StevePoliti 3h
Julie Hermann thinks it would be 'great' if The Star-Ledger died. I think that makes her a callous person. Column: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/04/julie_hermann_it_would_be_great_if_the_star-ledger_went_out_of_business.html…

[URL='https://twitter.com/BCgenius']Mike DiMauro ‏@BCgenius 40m
Rutgers AD Julie Hermann: "It would be great if the (NJ) Star-Ledger went out of business." Nice choice of schools, @bigtenconf
[/URL]

Reaction Score
“If they’re not writing headlines that are getting our attention, they’re not selling ads – and they die,” Hermann told the Media Ethics and Law class. “And the Ledger almost died in June, right?”

I followed their board for a while and understand where she's coming from. She's right, the paper was mostly about cooking up headlines to sell papers.

Now, should she have said it? Um, no.

Reaction Score

Julie Hermann thinks it would be 'great' if The Star-Ledger died. I think that makes her a callous person. Column: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/04/julie_hermann_it_would_be_great_if_the_star-ledger_went_out_of_business.html…

Mike DiMauro ‏@BCgenius 40m
Rutgers AD Julie Hermann: "It would be great if the (NJ) Star-Ledger went out of business." Nice choice of schools, @bigtenconf
She's not excited that the guy that changes toner in the printers is losing his job. I'm a long time NJ resident and RU grad school grad. I don't support RU athletics (but I'm not a hater) as I'm all UConn, but I can verify that that the Star Ledger decided to get more readers by becoming an enemy of the local team rather than a supporter. The local paper shouldn't be a lackey, but the Ledger takes every chance it can to kick RU while being more supportive of private Seton Hall.

RU deserves a lot of what it gets, and my kids won't go there if I have any say (despite it being a better financial move for me), but this writer was using has bully (or in this case his "shame") pulpit for a dying industry.

Reaction Score
She's not excited that the guy that changes toner in the printers is losing his job. I'm a long time NJ resident and RU grad school grad. I don't support RU athletics (but I'm not a hater) as I'm all UConn, but I can verify that that the Star Ledger decided to get more readers by becoming an enemy of the local team rather than a supporter. The local paper shouldn't be a lackey, but the Ledger takes every chance it can to kick RU while being more supportive of private Seton Hall.

RU deserves a lot of what it gets, and my kids won't go there if I have any say (despite it being a better financial move for me), but this writer was using has bully (or in this case his "shame") pulpit for a dying industry.
I also think she has a point, but she is a leader of a university athletic department. The fact that she doesn't know better than to revel in someone else's misery in a public forum, yes a classroom is a public forum... where who knows a kid in the class may have a parent affected by the layoffs, calls into question her judgement and competency.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

It's not as if The Star-Ledger is the Baltimore Sun of The Wire, Season 5 and it's not as if Scott Stapleton is making up stories about a serial killer. These controversies actually happened at Rutgers. Hermann only has herself to blame for the headlines she sees and the manner in which Rutgers is treated, no matter how sensationalized she thinks they are.

Reaction Score
Come to think of it, the Star Ledger should plaster her on the front page with the head line "Herman Monster-RU AD is happy NJ tax payers are losing their jobs". I'm sure that will go over real well.

Reaction Score

[URL='https://twitter.com/BCgenius']Mike DiMauro ‏@BCgenius 40m[/URL]
[URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb'][URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb']Rutgers AD Julie Hermann: "It would be great if the (NJ) Star-Ledger went out of business." Nice choice of schools, [URL='https://twitter.com/bigtenconf']@bigtenconf[/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb'][URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb'][/URL][/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb'][URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb'][URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb']
[URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb'][URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb'][URL='http://post original url/kYCZU8qOxb']
Only in Jersey. It's like watching a slow moving car crash, one should look away; but can't. I would love to be a fly on the wall in Rosemont when Delany hears about this story.[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Reaction Score
It's not as if The Star-Ledger is the Baltimore Sun of The Wire, Season 5 and it's not as if Scott Stapleton is making up stories about a serial killer. These controversies actually happened at Rutgers. Hermann only has herself to blame for the headlines she sees and the manner in which Rutgers is treated, no matter how sensationalized she thinks they are.

You are obviously not familiar with the scandal the Star ledger created, regarding Rutgers CB Ian Thomas..and how he told RU coach Kyle Flood he was giving up football to play baseball...then told the Star-Ledger he never told Flood anything about baseball.

The Star Ledger then allowed Thomas to call Flood a liar in a column...without getting his side of the story. A scandal erupted.

Several months later, Thomas apologized for calling Flood a liar, was remorseful...and even asked back on to the team, which Flood allowed him to do.

The Star-ledger NEVER printed a follow-up story in which Thomas apologized to Flood...instead letting the general public continue to believe it was Flood who lied, and not Thomas.

This was a scandal 100 percent started by The Star Ledger's Dan Duggan.

During our bowl game with Notre Dame, the Star-Leger ran two feel good stories about ND players from NJ....and NONE on any of the dozens of NJ players on Rutgers' teams.

Also, not that it's a big deal (it's not) but a few days ago, the Rutgers women's team won the NIT championship. Not that it deserved a spot on the front page of the sports section, but you would think they would find a spot for it somewhere.

The Ledger didn't even report on it.

Reaction Score
Or UCONN in our conference's future.

Oh buggsy, I love it when you come crawling around here. I want to give you a like. Seriously. Not for your limp-wristed attempt at a retort (clever is just not a strong suit for you is it?), but rather, when I posted this joke I knew that you would sniff it out and break out your simple trash-talking to try and combat it.

I can't figure out what impresses me more, the dedication you display towards your crusade of paying attention to us, or your ability to sniff these posts out like flies buzzing towards a horse's @ss. Were you a truffle-sniffing pig in a past life?

Reaction Score
Oh buggsy, I love it when you come crawling around here. I want to give you a like. Seriously. Not for your limp-wristed attempt at a retort (clever is just not a strong suit for you is it?), but rather, when I posted this joke I knew that you would sniff it out and break out your simple trash-talking to try and combat it.

I can't figure out what impresses me more, the dedication you display towards your crusade of paying attention to us, or your ability to sniff these posts out like flies buzzing towards a horse's @ss. Were you a truffle-sniffing pig in a past life?

No, in the past I rooted for a team that shared a BCS (Big Boy) conference with UCONN.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You are obviously not familiar with the scandal the Star ledger created, regarding Rutgers CB Ian Thomas..and how he told RU coach Kyle Flood he was giving up football to play baseball...then told the Star-Ledger he never told Flood anything about baseball.

The Star Ledger then allowed Thomas to call Flood a liar in a column...without getting his side of the story. A scandal erupted.

Several months later, Thomas apologized for calling Flood a liar, was remorseful...and even asked back on to the team, which Flood allowed him to do.

The Star-ledger NEVER printed a follow-up story in which Thomas apologized to Flood...instead letting the general public continue to believe it was Flood who lied, and not Thomas.

This was a scandal 100 percent started by The Star Ledger's Dan Duggan.

During our bowl game with Notre Dame, the Star-Leger ran two feel good stories about ND players from NJ....and NONE on any of the dozens of NJ players on Rutgers' teams.

Also, not that it's a big deal (it's not) but a few days ago, the Rutgers women's team won the NIT championship. Not that it deserved a spot on the front page of the sports section, but you would think they would find a spot for it somewhere.

The Ledger didn't even report on it.
No one outside of Piscataway is aware of Ian Thomas.

Be that as it may, this was on nj.com in January.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/01/rutgers_cb_ian_thomas_to_return_to_team.html

Reaction Score
Or UCONN in our conference's future.

No, in the past I rooted for a team that shared a BCS (Big Boy) conference with UCONN.

See? This is what I mean by clever. Two jabs that are substantially similar in theme. No originality. Its a shame really, because a good comeback would have been he's probably looking for the laptop that was stolen on the way into the arena. I would have chuckled at that.

Even lobotomy patients can string together two occasionally independent thoughts. Expand your horizons buggsy. I'd reiterate my truffle pig remark, but apparently pigs are one of the most intelligent animals (You can read up on it a little bit here!), and I can't in good conscious insult them with a comparison.

Oh, and by the way, if you are going to go for the "history" argument you like to drop here, you've gone to that well too many times already, so maybe something different?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
See? This is what I mean by clever. Two jabs that are substantially similar in theme. No originality. Its a shame really, because a good comeback would have been he's probably looking for the laptop that was stolen on the way into the arena. I would have chuckled at that.

Even lobotomy patients can string together two occasionally independent thoughts. Expand your horizons buggsy. I'd reiterate my truffle pig remark, but apparently pigs are one of the most intelligent animals (You can read up on it a little bit here!), and I can't in good conscious insult them with a comparison.

Oh, and by the way, if you are going to go for the "history" argument you like to drop here, you've gone to that well too many times already, so maybe something different?

Wow, if you really think "truffle pig" somehow makes you some sort of wordsmith, then you're the one who should be sorely disappointed in yourself.

I didn't even think real men used "truffle" in everyday language....but if you think that makes you intelligent.....knock yourself out.

Your fascination with pigs is pretty interesting, though, considering the slop you'll be playing next year, while Rutgers will be in a conference with Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and lot of other great programs.

Reaction Score
Wow, if you really think "truffle pig" somehow makes you some sort of wordsmith, then you're the one who should be sorely disappointed in yourself.

I didn't even think real men used "truffle" in everyday language....but if you think that makes you intelligent.....knock yourself out.

Your fascination with pigs is pretty interesting, though, considering the slop you'll be playing next year, while Rutgers will be in a conference with Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and lot of other great programs.

You started strong here. You suggest that I should be disappointed in myself for thinking that I'm a wordsmith. It's different. I commend you, but unfortunately, you are misguided. I never suggested that I am a wordsmith, just that you're ability to craft an insult that is different from any other you try is abysmal.

You keep it going! Insulting my manhood! It's not original, nor does it address that I'm commenting on your inability to form a unique insult for me to laugh at, but at least you are going for the throat now! :) Nor am I suggesting that I am intelligent, just that you have less intellectual capacity than a lobotomy patient.

But, yet, you just can't help yourself. Again with the "we're in different conferences thing?" Come on bugs, you had so much promise! Develop it further. I believe in you!!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom