Uconn now #2 in AP poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn now #2 in AP poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For me, it's not really frustration; I mean UConn won 90 straight games without her, and, although it's possible UConn could have sealed the deal last year, there's no guarantee that it would have happened. Even if EDD did cost UConn a NC (not knowable), it's pretty difficult to complain about the experience of being a fan of UConn during the years EDD should have played her. I just don't think it's OK to just shrug that kind of behavior off.

I was 17 and half when I started college with no one I was responsible to but myself. I had no team I'd committed to. At times, it was difficult. My closest family was 1,270 miles away. However, I knew that if I stayed, it'd build my chracter far more than if I ran home with my tail between my legs. So that's what I did. I get that family's important, and that having a sibling with special needs is especially tough. But allowing that to keep you from actualizing your gifts is something I can't imagine any family wanting of a young woman.

I'd be more inclined to give Samarie something of a pass; she did go through something of the process, and for whatever reason, decided she couldn't do it. Not even trying is what really gets me.
Did you go off to college leaving behind a very close relationship with a sibling that was blind and deaf and suffers from autism and cerebral palsy?

I didn't think so.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tennessee fell to where I thought they would be. Does anyone
think Duke or Maryland is better than Tennessee? I don't.

as of today no..... but in march... perhaps... at least Duke.

Their is a better than average chance that Tenn and Duke will be the 1 and 2 seeds in the Raleigh Regional, so we might get to see who is better on the court... as opposed to on paper.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
as of today no..... but in march... perhaps... at least Duke.

Their is a better than average chance that Tenn and Duke will be the 1 and 2 seeds in the Raleigh Regional, so we might get to see who is better on the court... as opposed to on paper.
I'm surprised you don't think Duke is better than the LV's now. Duke has great players in the two most important positions in Williams and Gray. LV's are very suspect in the post and I think Gray right now is much better than Massengale. Only LV that Duke has no one to measure up to IMO is Spani who is shooting really well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Speaking of Delaware. What could have been. That kid playing for them would have been a SR starring at the 4 for us. We would have been ranked #1 and going for 4th straight NC Championship! Oh well,this is our team and love em!
And Maya would have left with 3 national championships and a 117-game winning streak. Oh well.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Did you go off to college leaving behind a very close relationship with a sibling that was blind and deaf and suffers from autism and cerebral palsy?

I didn't think so.
Did autism and cerebral palsy manifest itself between the time she committed to UConn and the time she left after three practices? I didn't think so.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Maybe the empathy and care of special needs kids is as big or bigger a gift for EDD. She has done work with other special needs kids. That is something that is hard for us to know. I think your assumption that EDD didn't want to go to UConn is wrong. There is a difference between wanting to do something and being ready or able to do something.

Because you did something doesn't mean it was the right thing for another person. Often kids in special needs families are developmentally impacted because to the focus and demand of such a child.
Quite frankly, no, it's not. That may sound harsh and unfeeling, but it's a statement of fact. In 2008, there was not a young woman in the country who was a better basketball player at the high school level. The likelihood is that many young women were as talented, if not far more so, when it comes to care of special needs children. Statistically speaking, it's a certainty.

To be clear, staying home in and of itself doesn't bother me. Committing to doing something and then backing out based on a factor that's been a part of your life for almost all of it after barely giving the opportunity you committed to a chance? That is not something I'm ever going to endorse.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, no, it's not. That may sound harsh and unfeeling, but it's a statement of fact. In 2008, there was not a young woman in the country who was a better basketball player at the high school level. The likelihood is that many young women were as talented, if not far more so, when it comes to care of special needs children. Statistically speaking, it's a certainty.

To be clear, staying home in and of itself doesn't bother me. Committing to doing something and then backing out based on a factor that's been a part of your life for almost all of it after barely giving the opportunity you committed to a chance? That is not something I'm ever going to endorse.

It is unfeeling and frankly ignorant of reality. It takes very special people to do that work. Basketball is a shallow gift in comparison. One I deeply enjoy but would never consider comparing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm surprised you don't think Duke is better than the LV's now. Duke has great players in the two most important positions in Williams and Gray. LV's are very suspect in the post and I think Gray right now is much better than Massengale. Only LV that Duke has no one to measure up to IMO is Spani who is shooting really well.

Dont get me wrong, I feel as if Duke is more talented, deeper, more versatile and more balanced then UT-Knoxville. However, they have a big advantage in the experience category, and they do have a victory over a top 10 team under their belt already. Thats why I would give the edge to the Vols as of today. I'll see what we can do against ND tonight... I think we can pull off the upset if our perimeter defense improves. Its been awful so far this season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Dont get me wrong, I feel as if Duke is more talented, deeper, more versatile and more balanced then UT-Knoxville. However, they have a big advantage in the experience category, and they do have a victory over a top 10 team under their belt already. Thats why I would give the edge to the Vols as of today. I'll see what we can do against ND tonight... I think we can pull off the upset if our perimeter defense improves. Its been awful so far this season.
You guys are better than LV.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Experience? This LV senior class has the WRONG kind of experience: failing to deliver. On a neutral court, I pick Duke.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My understanding had always been that she has a special situation with a younger sibling. What ended up being very disappointing to me were the circumstances ended up really hurting us was in recruiting and team make up which the staff works on years in advance.
I made a reference a while ago that certain teams had been been making a living in recent years on being a haven for transfers and also last minute coaching chgs etc resulting in getting players at the last minute. Delaware is not in that group. The late timing of her going home in July of that year impacted 2 years. Just a fact.

A very sad day that her realizing that she had made a mistake and taking action to ensure her happiness affected recruiting so harshly. She should have stuck it out for several years, sacrificing her happiness. At 18 she should have had the wisdom to deal with the pressure and expectations much better.

I am sure this was not intentional sabotage on her part. In my world, if there is no ill intent, I tend to let things go. She was a young girl that ended up in a situation that she didn't want to be in. I am impressed that she had the guts to say it when she did. Says a lot about how much she values herself and her own happiness. Takes some people years to get to that point, and some never do. At least those who didn't watch Oprah.

Baylor has two transfers. Didn't UCONN have a top post player who transferred from Duke at one time? Transfers happen when players realize they are not in the right situation for them.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My understanding had always been that she has a special situation with a younger sibling. What ended up being very disappointing to me were the circumstances ended up really hurting us was in recruiting and team make up which the staff works on years in advance.
I made a reference a while ago that certain teams had been been making a living in recent years on being a haven for transfers and also last minute coaching chgs etc resulting in getting players at the last minute. Delaware is not in that group. The late timing of her going home in July of that year impacted 2 years. Just a fact.

But I will have to say that hearing a UCONN fan bemoan recruiting is a bit amusing. We should all be so unfortunate.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I know when I'm beaten. This one can't be won. Now I know how Dayton must feel. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

couldn't agree more with this. before any of that even happened, the kid took a ton of time off from basketball. came back and was still "committed" to UCONN. she used up a scholarship and made it impossible for UCONN to recruit anyone else for her "position". in hindsight, it meant that UCONN took a pass on Sykes who ended up at RU and took Chelsey Lee with her.

i respect someone's decision to change her mind. but to take up a scholly and then decide after 1 day at UCONN to leave partly because of harsh words from Renee Montgomery, then to decide that UCONN was just not for her - too far, missed her family, whatever, certainly was her prerogative. but i totally respect many UCONN fans to have negative feelings about the whole situation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Experience? This LV senior class has the WRONG kind of experience: failing to deliver. On a neutral court, I pick Duke.

I would too :cool: But of course, im a bit biased... a wee bit

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
i respect someone's decision to change her mind. but to take up a scholly and then decide after 1 day at UCONN to leave partly because of harsh words from Renee Montgomery, then to decide that UCONN was just not for her - too far, missed her family, whatever, certainly was her prerogative. but i totally respect many UCONN fans to have negative feelings about the whole situation.
There is far more to it than this. Elena was burned out on bball probably a year before she even got to UConn. However she'd made a commitment and tried to honor it by coming to Connecticut but once here, realized that she would not only be missing her sister and family, she would be playing a game that she no longer loved AND be expected to excel in the fishbowl that is UConn basketball. How many of you folks criticizing Elena would have been able to do what was expected of you - and this is expectations from fans, coaches, teammates and family - under those circumstances?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There is far more to it than this. Elena was burned out on bball probably a year before she even got to UConn. However she'd made a commitment and tried to honor it by coming to Connecticut but once here, realized that she would not only be missing her sister and family, she would be playing a game that she no longer loved AND be expected to excel in the fishbowl that is UConn basketball. How many of you folks criticizing Elena would have been able to do what was expected of you - and this is expectations from fans, coaches, teammates and family - under those circumstances?
i don't disagree with what you are saying. my point was i respect people's right to criticize her as well. there will always be those who defend her, and i respect their right also. she certainly has somehow managed to rally herself to play USA basketball summer hoops as well as playing a full year at Deleware. i'm not sure that she's playing 12 months out of the year, but i'm guessing she's "rediscovered" her love for hoops as i've read she also wants to play on the USA national team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A very sad day that her realizing that she had made a mistake and taking action to ensure her happiness affected recruiting so harshly. She should have stuck it out for several years, sacrificing her happiness. At 18 she should have had the wisdom to deal with the pressure and expectations much better.

I am sure this was not intentional sabotage on her part. In my world, if there is no ill intent, I tend to let things go. She was a young girl that ended up in a situation that she didn't want to be in. I am impressed that she had the guts to say it when she did. Says a lot about how much she values herself and her own happiness. Takes some people years to get to that point, and some never do. At least those who didn't watch Oprah.

Baylor has two transfers. Didn't UCONN have a top post player who transferred from Duke at one time? Transfers happen when players realize they are not in the right situation for them.
She was only seventeen and don't assume it was her happiness she was worried about. It may well have been Lizzie's. Some people are very altruistic.
People may have a "right" to criticize her but that doesn't mean they are right or appropriate in doing so.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dont mean to get this thread back on track.... but I assume UCONN will stay #2 in next week's poll

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dont mean to get this thread back on track.... but I assume UCONN will stay #2 in next week's poll

Good guess. Good thing Baylor won today as Geno doesn't think it would be fair for UConn to be #1:

“Last time I checked you had to have some All-Americans on your team to be number one. Don’t those two things go together? I don’t think it would be fair for us to be number one.”

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Glad that you got us back on track with that riveting insight. Hmmm...they were number 2 coming into the week and didn't lose. I bet you are right.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
While there is a option for you to thank a post.... there likewise should be a option to no-thank a post :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
i respect someone's decision to change her mind. but to take up a scholly and then decide after 1 day at UCONN to leave partly because of harsh words from Renee Montgomery, then to decide that UCONN was just not for her.

soooo Renee DID say something... hmmm!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly it was supposedly Kalana not Renee.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

I know I'm not the first to say this on this board, but it's important to remember that these girls are teenagers when they arrive at college. Basketball stars or not, there's an awful lot of things going on in the psyche at that age. I started college at 16 and never got to leave home (I went to CCNY by subway every day--this was in the early 1960s), but I know what an emotional wreck I was. I can only try to imagine how I would have been had I been at a college far away from home. Considering all the additional pressures of playing a sport like basketball which obviously takes a great deal of time away from the other activities of being at a college, it's rather amazing that so many handle it as well as they do. So girls like EDD and Samarie Walker had to deal with their emotional baggage and UConn survived. But as much as I love the UConn Huskies and want to see them with fantastic stars with the potential of someone like EDD, what's most important? Even Geno, every once in awhile, points out the relative importance of his sport and his team in the fabric of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom