UConn @ North Florida (Fri. 3/2/18@6:05p, Sat 3/3/18@2:05p>ESPN3, Sun 3/4/18@12:05p) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn @ North Florida (Fri. 3/2/18@6:05p, Sat 3/3/18@2:05p>ESPN3, Sun 3/4/18@12:05p)

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Was at the game tonight. Cate looked pretty solid. Tons of scouts behind the plate for the first few innings. Was nerve wracking but got the win.

Back at it tomorrow.

Nice bit of trivia that they announced at the game that World Series MVP George Springer’s first college HR was at UNF 9 years ago. Was at that game too. Totally didn’t know that.

Reaction Score
In an effort to give Zac Susi a break from the rigors of catching, the first two weekend series have seen Thad Phillips in the lineup behind the plate on Saturday game days. Today that works well as it is a day game after a night game. On those days coach Penders has kept Susi's bat in the lineup by putting him at 1B, as Penders likes to keep his big stars in the lineup. I wonder if that will happen today. Susi is in a bit of a slump, while 1B Chris Winkel's bat has done a total turnaround from last season, currently hitting .400, and with the reputation of being an excellent defensive 1B. It suddenly becomes difficult to take Winkel out of the lineup. Another option for Susi is DH. Of course, Christian Fedko bat has gotten off to a fast start hitting .350 with 5 doubles. Will Fedko be moved to the infield for a game, in place of either Conor Moriarty and Mike Woodworth are currently both hitting under .200? The downside of that is it could affect the the infield defense, which has been pretty good this season. I doubt Penders really likes to mess with what has been a winning formula so far this season, but at the same time I'm sure he wants to keep Susi's bat in the lineup somewhere.

Reaction Score
In an effort to give Zac Susi a break from the rigors of catching, the first two weekend series have seen Thad Phillips in the lineup behind the plate on Saturday game days. Today that works well as it is a day game after a night game. On those days coach Penders has kept Susi's bat in the lineup by putting him at 1B, as Penders likes to keep his big stars in the lineup. I wonder if that will happen today. Susi is in a bit of a slump, while 1B Chris Winkel's bat has done a total turnaround from last season, currently hitting .400, and with the reputation of being an excellent defensive 1B. It suddenly becomes difficult to take Winkel out of the lineup. Another option for Susi is DH. Of course, Christian Fedko bat has gotten off to a fast start hitting .350 with 5 doubles. Will Fedko be moved to the infield for a game, in place of either Conor Moriarty and Mike Woodworth are currently both hitting under .200? The downside of that is it could affect the the infield defense, which has been pretty good this season. I doubt Penders really likes to mess with what has been a winning formula so far this season, but at the same time I'm sure he wants to keep Susi's bat in the lineup somewhere.
As far as Susi goes he’s been squaring up the ball but has been hitting liners right at people. I’d say he’s been unlucky more than in a slump.

With Fedko, I was thinking about him as a platoon 3B. Moriarty has had a tough time executing recently wether it’s getting bunts down or putting balls in play when needed. Woodworth may have a low average but I think he’s a better all around player. I’d like to see Thad get at bats when he’s not catching. As you mentioned Winkel is on fire right now and is a much better first baseman. I think the only way to do this is have Fedko splitting time at 3rd with Moriarty.

I think doing this would definitely improve the lineup, as for defense it remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
As far as Susi goes he’s been squaring up the ball but has been hitting liners right at people. I’d say he’s been unlucky more than in a slump.

With Fedko, I was thinking about him as a platoon 3B. Moriarty has had a tough time executing recently wether it’s getting bunts down or putting balls in play when needed. Woodworth may have a low average but I think he’s a better all around player. I’d like to see Thad get at bats when he’s not catching. As you mentioned Winkel is on fire right now and is a much better first baseman. I think the only way to do this is have Fedko splitting time at 3rd with Moriarty.

I think doing this would definitely improve the lineup, as for defense it remains to be seen.

In my mind the early season is also for some experimentation. With that in mind, I would like to see Fedko get the occasional game in the field.

Reaction Score
In my mind the early season is also for some experimentation. With that in mind, I would like to see Fedko get the occasional game in the field.
As long as Fedko is serviceable at 3rd, I think the team has more potential. Although Moriarty has been solid, Fedko seems to bring more energy at the plate with a very aggressive approach. Having him play 3rd frees up DH where Thad should excel. He was an absolute monster in JuCo last year. His bat would put this offense over the top without sacrificing the bat or fielding of Susi and Winkel. Imagine a lineup like this;

Toppa
Woodworth
Prato
Susi
Feldstien
Thad
Fedko
Winkel
Stefanski

There is no break for a pitcher there. Now pair that with our pitching. Good luck

Reaction Score
Isn't it nice just having this discussion and problem. Jones even brought it up last night, just a couple of years ago we were so depleted depth wise that Poulin had to be used in the field and as a base runner. Nice to have a depth problem.

Reaction Score
Cate, Huskies Earn Series Opening Win at UNF, 5-4

Notes:
  • The Huskies stole a season-high five bases on Friday night with Anthony Prato swiping three of them.
  • Tim Cate won his 10th career game in a UConn uniform and moved into a tie with Wills Montgomerie and Tim Norton for fourth on the all-time strikeouts list with 226. Cate passed Anthony Marzi (217) and Carson Cross (222).
  • The Huskies tied a season-high with four runs scored in the second inning.
  • The Huskies moved to 5-2 on the season with the win, the best start in the first seven games of the season since starting 5-2 in 2010.
  • Cate recorded his ninth career double-digit strikeout effort.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Today's game is on ESPN3, for those interested. I might try to watch while listening to the whus broadcast.

Reaction Score
Getting back to Christian Fedko for one last post. I've mentioned before that Fedko's future is at one of the infield spots. How fast that future arrives depends on a few things. First, Moriarty and/or Woodworth, if they continue to struggle at the bat (hitting under .200 is definitely struggling). Two, the quality of Fedko's defense. Three, how the team performs. If the team continues to win these weekend series, I'm inclined to think Penders will be less likely to want to make changes to the lineup. Although with the soon onset of weekday games it gives a little more game time to get Fedko looks at either 2B or 3B.

If Fedko does get infield time, it does open up the DH spot. @Baseballguy has mentioned Thad Phillips for that spot. Other obvious candidates would be Matt Bonvicini and Ben Maycock. As was mentioned before, the added depth is a nice "problem" to have.

Reaction Score
LOL...

In addition to the Fedko move to the field, I like Stefanski batting 2nd the way he has been hitting.

Traditionally UConn has had problems finding players who can handle 3B. I think Penders likes a more experienced hand there.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
In addition to the Fedko move to the field, I like Stefanski batting 2nd the way he has been hitting.

Traditionally UConn has had problems finding players who can handle 3B. I think Penders likes a more experienced hand there.
Between Mike Olt and Willy Yahn, we have had some great 3rd basemen - hopefully C Mo can grow and make that his position. If not, I think there are plenty of options for Coach Penders to go to .

I also like moving Troy up in the lineup right now. He has been hitting well and can handle the bat well - so you can hit and run with him as well put more pressure on the base paths early. Also, if he gets on, more fastballs for Prato behind him.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Giving Woodworth a day off might be good to let him refresh for tomorrow.

I love that lineup.

Reaction Score
Between Mike Olt and Willy Yahn, we have had some great 3rd basemen - hopefully C Mo can grow and make that his position. If not, I think there are plenty of options for Coach Penders to go to .

I also like moving Troy up in the lineup right now. He has been hitting well and can handle the bat well - so you can hit and run with him as well put more pressure on the base paths early. Also, if he gets on, more fastballs for Prato behind him.

We also had people like Ryan Sullivan and Jon Testani trying their hand at 3B. It is not the easiest spot in the field to find someone to play, and Penders knows it. Right now he is pleased with Moriarty's defense there, and is waiting for him to hit probably.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
2 on, 2 out for UNF in the bottom of the first. No score.

Would be awesome to get two ace-level performances in a row.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Rough start for feole, high pitch count (24) and 2 ER with 2 out in the 1st.

Reaction Score
Another single makes it 3-0 for North Florida in the 1st.

Reaction Score
Another North Florida hit brings in 2 more runs to make it 5-0 in the 1st. Jeff Kersten warming up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom