UCONN Needs to stay in the Big East! | The Boneyard

UCONN Needs to stay in the Big East!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really hate to have to even write this... but UCONN must stay in the Big East. A move to the ACC is not in our best interest. First off when the three Big East teams left for the ACC UCONN was one of the key universities that pushed to prevent the move, threatened and even filed lawsuits against BC, VTech, and Maimi. Our Attorney General filed a lawsuit (Dickie B).... which I do not think went anywhere... (Can anyone tell me what happened with Dickie's lawsuit?). If we switch over.... what would that say about us? Especially after we fought to prevent it. The BIG EAST is our home... we should be loyal... with the departure of Pitt and Cuse we only need 1 team to be back up to 16 with the addition of TCU. There has to be a good one out there... Indiana, Ohio State, somewhere in Penn?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The problem isn't the 16 team basketball format, it's the complete lack of football presence.

And leaving the Big East says nothing about UConn. Our hand is being forced by the changing landscape of college football.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I really hate to have to even write this... but UCONN must stay in the Big East. A move to the ACC is not in our best interest. First off when the three Big East teams left for the ACC UCONN was one of the key universities that pushed to prevent the move, threatened and even filed lawsuits against BC, VTech, and Maimi. Our Attorney General filed a lawsuit (Dickie B).... which I do not think went anywhere... (Can anyone tell me what happened with Dickie's lawsuit?). If we switch over.... what would that say about us? Especially after we fought to prevent it. The BIG EAST is our home... we should be loyal... with the departure of Pitt and Cuse we only need 1 team to be back up to 16 with the addition of TCU. There has to be a good one out there... Indiana, Ohio State, somewhere in Penn?

Indiana and Ohio State will never leave the Big 10. Temple is out there..... but you guys kicked them out a few years ago.

Reaction Score
I really hate to have to even write this... but UCONN must stay in the Big East. A move to the ACC is not in our best interest.

Compared to what?
Being in a non-BCS football conference greatly diminshes the athletics program, which ultimately harms the basketball program.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Ohio State or Indiana are NEVER going to leave the Big 10 for any reason much less an unstable Big East, We need to jump ship and get in the ACC ASAP!

Reaction Score
The lawsuit against the ACC was dismissed on jurisdictional grounds, while BC was eventually exonerated by a declaratory judgment from the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts. Even though the lawsuits were dismissed in court, a secret out-of-court settlement was later reached. It was disclosed that each remaining Big East school received $1 million,

Reaction Score
The problem isn't the 16 team basketball format, it's the complete lack of football presence.

And leaving the Big East says nothing about UConn. Our hand is being forced by the changing landscape of college football.
100% agree. Syracuse and Pitt will go down as the enemies that killed the Big East as we know it. UConn has no choice but to try and join the ACC, and everyone knows it. At this point, we would be considered crazy if we didn't try and leave.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
definitely wishful thinking. if UCONN wants to give up football or drop back down to division 1A, or whatever they used to be, then sure stay in the big east. but WVU and RU will be leaving soon too. if UCONN stays, it will be a complete disaster for the sports programs. like it or not, it's football that drives the bus. much much much more $$ is involved in college football than in all the other college sports put together. this is why Pitt and Syracuse made the pre emptive move.

if UCONN is completely stupid and short sighted, they will do nothing and sit and wait for the BE to end up with Memphis, Eastern Carolina, Central Florida and if they are very lucky, Temple.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The cards have been dealt and now you play the hand.

This whole situation has been out there for over a year now. And football is driving all these moves. Pitt and Syracuse did what they thought was best for their schools. Uconn must now do the same. Staying in the BE is no longer an option. This is the reality of college sports today.

If Herbst has the aggressiveness we think she has, we will be in the ACC by the end of the week. The word is we have filed an application to be accepted into the ACC.

Herbst will protect Uconn and its athletic programs. And the ACC is a very good fit for Uconn, excellent academic schools, geographically works very well, and we will be competitive in several sports besides football and basketball. We also keep some of our traditional rivalries which is a plus.

We have a lot to offer and I don't see the ACC turning us down. The ACC will be a 16 team league.

Reaction Score
Are you crazy? Football drives the bus. No football league, no UConn athletics. Might as well be D-3.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
If u wanna stay in the big east listen at the 0:48 second mark and that is exactly what would happn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pwT2wiZsg0&feature=related

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Staying in the Big East now is like arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

As Mrs. Lincoln said, "You and your damned free theater tickets!"

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Are you crazy? Football drives the bus. No football league, no UConn athletics. Might as well be D-3.
This is not true. UConn is fairly unique in this respect. We were a basketball powerhouse, both men and women, without the football $$$$. With that said, we would be fools not to join the ACC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is not true. UConn is fairly unique in this respect. We were a basketball powerhouse, both men and women, without the football $$$$. With that said, we would be fools not to join the ACC.

Basketball doesn't make football money. Period.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
actually IMHO, TV drives the bus. football just keeps its successful schools equiped with the buses and gas.;)

Reaction Score

Yes, just about every school's hand is being forced.
The BE was doomed as soon as football revenue became critical. The conference I don't understand is the Big 12. One would think that their TV/football revenue would be enough to for that conference to survive without schools abandoning ship. Apparently it wasn't enough.

Reaction Score
Yes, just about every school's hand is being forced.
The BE was doomed as soon as football revenue became critical. The conference I don't understand is the Big 12. One would think that their TV/football revenue would be enough to for that conference to survive without schools abandoning ship. Apparently it wasn't enough.

Their conference fell apart not because of money but what Texas was going to do with their LHN. The other schools did not have enough of a problem with them having their own network to leave. It was only when Texas was going to broadcast high school football games over their network that T&M, and OU finally had enough. That would have given TU a really unfair advantage in recruiting. The state of Texas is the major recruiting area for those schools. That was the straw that broke the Camels back.

It isn't just about football money as it comes though the TV contracts now, but the potential for the Super Conferences to make their own deals with the Media for bowl and playoff games which would follow the elimination of the BCS and even the NCAA which they then would certainly have the power to do. The real money and power lies and is derived from the playoffs. It would behoove a team to be in one of the Super Conferences if that should transpire. It seems to be steam rolling in that direction now.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
Their conference fell apart not because of money but what Texas was going to do with their LHN. The other schools did not have enough of a problem with them having their own network to leave. It was only when Texas was going to broadcast high school football games over their network that T&M, and OU finally had enough. That would have given TU a really unfair advantage in recruiting. The state of Texas is the major recruiting area for those schools. That was the straw that broke the Camels back.

It isn't just about football money as it comes though the TV contracts now, but the potential for the Super Conferences to make their own deals with the Media for bowl and playoff games which would follow the elimination of the BCS and even the NCAA which they then would certainly have the power to do. The real money and power lies and is derived from the playoffs. It would behoove a team to be in one of the Super Conferences if that should transpire. It seems to be steam rolling in that direction now.

VERY insightful. The only comment I would make would be that the coaches (and I would hope, admins.) will fight that the season be pared back to 11 games, and eliminating the conference champ. games. There is no way these kids could be expected to play, in some cases, up to an 18 game season. That would be assuming a 32 team playoff. Now if we were to be at 4 16 school conferences, I think a 16 team playoff would be sufficient. This crap about over 1/2 of the BCS schools getting in a bowl is absurd---kinda like the NBA. (which isn't so bad now with all the expansion)

Question about the playoffs...wouldn't that further empower the NCAA by giving them control of the mechanism for chosing and seeding teams, etc.?

The 20,000 pound gorilla in the room is the BOWLS. With 16 teams, you'd only need 15 bowls. Perhaps, some of these absurd $500K ones could either go away or be consolation prizes for those who don't make "the dance"---kinda like the NIT? Truly, the only people who care about those tiny bowls are people involved with or playing in them.

Reaction Score
i dont care where uconn goes as long as we dont play notre dame i hate them

Reaction Score
VERY insightful. The only comment I would make would be that the coaches (and I would hope, admins.) will fight that the season be pared back to 11 games, and eliminating the conference champ. games. There is no way these kids could be expected to play, in some cases, up to an 18 game season. That would be assuming a 32 team playoff. Now if we were to be at 4 16 school conferences, I think a 16 team playoff would be sufficient. This crap about over 1/2 of the BCS schools getting in a bowl is absurd---kinda like the NBA. (which isn't so bad now with all the expansion)

Question about the playoffs...wouldn't that further empower the NCAA by giving them control of the mechanism for chosing and seeding teams, etc.?

The 20,000 pound gorilla in the room is the BOWLS. With 16 teams, you'd only need 15 bowls. Perhaps, some of these absurd $500K ones could either go away or be consolation prizes for those who don't make "the dance"---kinda like the NIT? Truly, the only people who care about those tiny bowls are people involved with or playing in them.

If four 16 team super conferences are formed I don't believe the NCAA will continue to exist for these teams. They will dump the NCAA and will control all the bowl games. Without the bowl games thr NCAA has no power. I also think you can expect all these super conferences to have their own playoff games. More games more money!!!!

If UConn wants to remain in the football picture they will have to be in a super conference. The ACC is their best bet now. A merger with the left out Big 12 teams won't work for very long. The teams would be constantly searching for a better conference.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

You mean the network that Texas invited A&M to be a part of as a joint partnership years ago, but that your nearsighted and incompetent leadership lacked the vision to agree to? That network?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And on the topic of the thread, I'll pile on and say the LAST thing UConn needs to do is stay a part of the Big East. The PAC, B1G, and SEC will expand, and the ACC has taken great proactive strides to retain its membership and become the fourth superconference when everything shakes out. Being outside of a superconference will be a death sentance from a revenue standpoint. It just doesn't make any sense.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If four 16 team super conferences are formed I don't believe the NCAA will continue to exist for these teams. They will dump the NCAA and will control all the bowl games. Without the bowl games thr NCAA has no power. I also think you can expect all these super conferences to have their own playoff games. More games more money!!!!

If UConn wants to remain in the football picture they will have to be in a super conference. The ACC is their best bet now. A merger with the left out Big 12 teams won't work for very long. The teams would be constantly searching for a better conference.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs, but after reading that recent NCAA article in The Atlantic (long, but great read)... it doesn't seem like the NCAA figures much in the bowl game scenario. Nearly all of the NCAA's revenues come from March Madness... losing that would terrify the NCAA.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The cards have been dealt and now you play the hand.

This whole situation has been out there for over a year now. And football is driving all these moves. Pitt and Syracuse did what they thought was best for their schools. Uconn must now do the same. Staying in the BE is no longer an option. This is the reality of college sports today.

If Herbst has the aggressiveness we think she has, we will be in the ACC by the end of the week. The word is we have filed an application to be accepted into the ACC.

Herbst will protect Uconn and its athletic programs. And the ACC is a very good fit for Uconn, excellent academic schools, geographically works very well, and we will be competitive in several sports besides football and basketball. We also keep some of our traditional rivalries which is a plus.

We have a lot to offer and I don't see the ACC turning us down. The ACC will be a 16 team league.
+1 Even longer, many years. This was coming and the Big East blew it.

If we don't jump ship we'll be in a mish mash league flying out to Waco and Manhattan KS. The BE as we knew it is dead. The ACC is probably our best option right now. There are some great programs and some intriguing rivalries - Duke and UNC and probably MD as well as BCU to make (HaHa Brenda won't be able to hide from us!). If we had to survive without it we would but it would hurt the university without those big football dollars.

Personally I would prefer the BiG10 as they are mostly state schools like us and quality research programs, but they aren't going to invite us.

Olympic sports just don't make enough money and that's what its all about. Let's hope we go to the ACC is more like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom