UConn Needs KML | The Boneyard

UConn Needs KML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Without question UConn needs KML to defeat Notre Dame. Kaleena helps spread the floor, she is an excellent rebounder and what a pass to Bria. It's fantastic seeing her back on the floor. She'll have five more games to get in the best shape she can for the championship game. There's always the chance of an upset, but I don't see anyone defeating UConn or ND. Go Kaleena! Go Huskies!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She's still not the Kaleena of last season or the beginning of this season, but I liked the 2 threes she made coming off screens. Those were quick-release shots and she drained them. Those are more difficult shots than having all day to set her feet which was the case y'day against Rutgers.

Reaction Score
She's still not the Kaleena of last season or the beginning of this season, but I liked the 2 threes she made coming off screens. Those were quick-release shots and she drained them. Those are more difficult shots than having all day to set her feet which was the case y'day against Rutgers.
I agree and I hope that she continues to get back into game shape. There were a few short shots that she attempted that suggested that she hasn't found herself yet but I'm hoping that she can provide that instant offense sooner rather than later.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Her lack of conditioning was pretty noticeable. I'm not sure she has enough time to make big jump in her conditioning before the FF but hopefully she gets a little better each week. She certainly has time to shed a few lbs before the Elite Eight.

Reaction Score
Her lack of conditioning was pretty noticeable. I'm not sure she has enough time to make big jump in her conditioning before the FF but hopefully she gets a little better each week. She certainly has time to shed a few lbs before the Elite Eight.
Yeah you are right her running up and down the court, grabbing rebounds, getting in the face of the Louisville players, and getting to the line really showed how horrible her conditioning is. Thanks for your input.

Reaction Score
Without question UConn needs KML to defeat Notre Dame. Kaleena helps spread the floor, she is an excellent rebounder and what a pass to Bria. It's fantastic seeing her back on the floor. She'll have five more games to get in the best shape she can for the championship game. There's always the chance of an upset, but I don't see anyone defeating UConn or ND. Go Kaleena! Go Huskies!
I would like to nominate this post for the Understatement of the Week post. ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yeah you are right her running up and down the court, grabbing rebounds, getting in the face of the Louisville players, and getting to the line really showed how horrible her conditioning is. Thanks for your input.
Thank you so much for replying since he can't see mine.

She has played 30+ minutes every game since she's been back. I've actually been impressed with her conditioning so far.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, I definitely didn't see her conditioning as lacking. In fact, the commentators were talking about how she has played 30+ minutes in every game since she's been back. Sorry, you can't do that if you aren't in shape.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Thank you so much for replying since he can't see mine.

She has played 30+ minutes every game since she's been back. I've actually been impressed with her conditioning so far.
I think ett has just about everyone on ignore at this point except maybe cardfan. He seems to be in monologue mode and I think he's going to need to have his left brain arguing with the right brain soon to get any good debate going.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's not simply a matter of how many minutes Kaleena is able to play, although that is important. It's about what she is able to get done during those minutes. I liked that she was able to come hard off of screens to hit a 3 twice during the second half. That says more to me than spotting up outside the 3-point line with all day to shoot.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Yeah..no way she could ever play 34 minutes in a game like that...up and down and in your face...

Oh wait ..she did...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What KML definitely has done is score in double digits in each of the three games of the AAC tourney, as well as set some pace (early @ Louisville 3/3, against Rutgers a couple of days ago, even the play to get UConn up 8-0 last night). All of those things put UConn in great shape to win. She's a big perimeter threat alongside Stewie, Bria, and now Moriah, which is a significant matchup issue (especially given UConn also has good post play). In short, I'm very happy to see KML back at all and hopeful to see her all the way back as the NCAA tourney progresses. The time between now and the start of the tournament can only help. Hell, even the selection show isn't until 3/17.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree with what everyone is saying here, including that KML is needed to beat the best teams. At the same time, although KML runs the court gamely and plays 30+ minutes at full speed, when she gets out on a fast break I can't help but think of a catcher or a first-baseman legging out a triple, or a nose tackle getting an interception and trying to score on the runback. (Is she the southern New England version of David Ortiz?) I think that the short shots that she missed (very uncharacteristically) in the second half probably reflected fatigue more than anything else.

She is not the only one affected by fatigue. I think Stef's poor shooting against Louisville was attributable to that same cause. More generally, I think the comparative mediocrity of the second halves of both the Rutgers and Louisville games reflected the fact that there wasn't much gas in the tank for the team as a whole (with the exception of Moriah).

Three games in three days at the pace UConn was trying to play would induce fatigue in anyone -- even an NHL team probably couldn't play at that pace for that long. It won't be necessary in the NCAA tournament -- the games are spaced out in a more forgiving way. I would expect that in tournament games, the first-half pace of the last two nights can be sustained for at least 30 minutes, and by then the game should be in hand unless the opponent is Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I liked that she was able to come hard off of screens to hit a 3 twice during the second half. That says more to me than spotting up outside the 3-point line with all day to shoot.

The key words for this discussion being the 'second half'. Looked to me like she was just as strong in the 2nd half as the first.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I agree. I can almost count on it going in when she is set and open, but I noticed those were quick releases, so not the "lock" I normally expect. Happy to see them go in.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think ett has just about everyone on ignore at this point except maybe cardfan. He seems to be in monologue mode and I think he's going to need to have his left brain arguing with the right brain soon to get any good debate going.
I would welcome any brain involvement.

Reaction Score
KLM GOT GAME. When she's in the game we have a better chance to score. She does everything to perfection. Uconn definitely needs her to go all the way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Her lack of conditioning was pretty noticeable.

Not in her game. Didn't she have two steals the first two trips down the floor for Ville? I like the way she busted a move on that breakaway drive. I especially like the way she didn't force anything, playing within the team concept. And her shot is still true. Pretty remarkanble for a player coming off a tough season health-wise.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not in her game. Didn't she have two steals the first two trips down the floor for Ville? I like the way she busted a move on that breakaway drive. I especially like the way she didn't force anything, playing within the team concept. And her shot is still true. Pretty remarkanble for a player coming off a tough season health-wise.

There were several time when the "old" KML would have driven to the basket but couldn't shake her defender. Her shot off the dribble if affected pretty noticeably, from my observation.

Reaction Score
Actually driving against Louisville is looking to get your head knocked off, Stewie tried to go inside and got mugged. They should have put the cuffs on the Louisville players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In the first two minutes of the game last night, Kaleena assisted on Stewie's first shot then caused turnovers on two consecutive Louisville offensive possessions. She may not always score a ton but she does find other ways to affect the game.

People that use the Points Scored column to judge how well someone played..... :-(

Reaction Score
I think we're being a little too sensitive here. KML is definitely not completely back in game shape. Before the injuries she was showing up everywhere, now she's disappearing for stretches of the game. I think pre-injury she was an all-American type player. Right now, I don't think anyone would say that, not from the way she's played since the return. I do think she's coming around, she's looked better the last few games. Let's hope the next few weeks see her return to all American mode.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think we're being a little too sensitive here. KML is definitely not completely back in game shape. Before the injuries she was showing up everywhere, now she's disappearing for stretches of the game. I think pre-injury she was an all-American type player. Right now, I don't think anyone would say that, not from the way she's played since the return. I do think she's coming around, she's looked better the last few games. Let's hope the next few weeks see her return to all American mode.
Pre-injury? Are you talking about this year?

If so, she only played a game and a half before getting hurt against Stanford.

Certainly she has not looked as good as last year, when she was an AA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom